Club Runs - 12th May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 12th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 06 May 2019 21:11

Great to see the photos of the academy racing at Rowheath today, it looked like an excellent day of individual pursuit racing! Thanks to Adrian and helpers for making it happen, and hope everyone enjoyed it.

...and despite the parky conditions on Sunday, we had 35 riders out on the three club runs. With a few of the long distance lovers elsewhere riding 400kms audaxes, unfortunately Paul Johnson's 200kms A-run was a few riders shorter than normal, but tremendous turnouts elsewhere, so thanks for Nick and Pete for leading. Of course, when we have big groups it is vital that the leader and other riders communicate so that everyone understands what's going on further down the line. Philip Whiteman has posted an excellent and timely reminder (Thanks, Phil!) on the importance of shouting out issues up and down the line in another thread and I've repeated it in this post as it's so important that we just do this...so take a read below and get shouting!

Anyway, it's the Velo Birmingham this coming Sunday, with loads of Beacon members riding, so despite that this event divides people, let's enjoy the spectacle if you're riding or spectating and check which roads are open if you're riding elsewhere or out on club runs. I'm riding the Velo, as is my brother who's never ridden more than 60miles before and is so looking forward to it, so let's wish it luck with happy riders. Wear your Beacon tops with pride!...

..but club runs carry on, so again with the warning for leaders to check your route, this weeks rides are:

A: Destination TBC - Nick Shenton
B: Volunteer required
C: Volunteer required

...and here's Philip Whiteman's excellent reminder on club run etiquette:
So this is a reminder that all club run participants must SHOUT warnings and alerts during a ride. Everyone must REPEAT A SHOUT down the chain of riders, don't just leave it to one person. Don't remain silent as it is your job to ensure that others are safe too.

- “Car up & Car down” – A general warning of a car trying to pass or one coming around a corner or one coming towards you on a narrow road. If a car is coming towards you, call “Car down”. If a car is coming up from behind call “Car up” to warn the riders ahead of you.

- “Easy” – If this is shouted it usually means there is a bad junction or potential hazard ahead and to pay attention yourself, it’s often very easy to rely on the ride leaders to warn you of pending problems in the road. This is especially important if you are in a large group and it will take a while to get around the hazard. "Easy on the Front" can also be useful to warn lead riders to slow down if they are pressing the pace too hard.

- “Single out” – When a car is behind and needs extra space to overtake, or if the group is approaching a narrow road or overtaking a line of parked cars.

- “On the left”– When approaching a parked car, this is also accompanied by waving your left hand behind your left buttock. Remember to give the car plenty of space as car doors will often be opened.

- “Hole” – When there is a hole or other object in the road that needs to be avoided, this is accompanied by pointing down to the floor in line with the obstruction and moving steadily to the side to avoid this.

- “Clear” – When pulling out from a junction this is called to inform riders behind that it is safe to carry on. If it is not safe, either shout “Stop” or “Car”.

- "Stopping" - as it says on the tin but give plenty of time for others to respond.

- "Off-the- back" This is very important when other riders have been dropped off the back. The warning should be communicated through the group quickly. Also, the dropped riders should attempt to make themselves ahead to the group ahead.

- "Punct-ure" or "Mechanical" You or somebody else has a flat tyre and the group should stop to wait whilst the problem is resolved.

Nicks_77

Re: Club Runs - 12th May

Post by Nicks_77 » 10 May 2019 22:21

Apologies for the late posting of this weeks destination, I’ve been a bit busy riding the cobbles of Flanders this week.

To avoid the madness of the Velo this Sunday the A Run will once again head North, most likely to Spiders Web but I might change my mind on the day.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 11 May 2019 15:53

Nick

The Velo goes north! Shouldn't we be going south?
And South will be warmer for out-of-habitat antipodeans!
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 11 May 2019 18:01

slogfester wrote:
11 May 2019 15:53
Nick

The Velo goes north! Shouldn't we be going south?
And South will be warmer for out-of-habitat antipodeans!
Barry

Velo goes mainly East towards Coventry, we will be heading out towards Cosford which is North West.

Plus you come into contact with the Velo lot until the the return journey back into the Birmingham area.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 May 2019 19:14

It's also worth adding that returning club run are still able to re-enter Birmingham by crossing or joining the Velo route. You can obviously use cross-roads as a pedestrian. Alternatively, ride down Church Hill to Bartley Green reservoir and turn left into Scotland Lane where you join the Velo to enter the City. Marshals cannot legally stop you joining the Velo Route as the TTRO only restricts vehicular traffic. The roads remain open for pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders. In theory you could ride in the counter direction of the Velo although you would have to be nuts.

As for me I am riding through the green countryside admiring the scenery between Shenstone and Castleton in the Peak District. If any other riders have entered the Castleton Classic, I have registered my affiliation to Beacon RCC and will be starting in the first penned group at 8am. Fortunately, I took the wise decision to go fast track and won't have to register until the start. My entry allows for place in the a free allocated parking zone at the start. Look out for me at any of the well-stocked feedstops.

neil_evanson

Post by neil_evanson » 12 May 2019 16:42

On today's sunny 51 mile C run to Hilliers Cafe with no incidents to report were.

Neil Evanson (Leader)
Wayne Gibbs
Cedric Gioan
Dave Little (Rear Gunner)
Geoff - The flying jacket - Mann

Thank you guys for the great ride out in the sun,

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 12 May 2019 19:03

On today’s faster than anticipated A Run to Brewood were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul Johnson