Club Runs - 4th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 4th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Jul 2019 13:44

What a to-do, eh?

A complex weather pattern fooled a few potential club riders this week in that the maps on the BBC and Met Office websites only showed rain north of Wolverhampton, and dry south of there, but the hourly icons, which must be a simple random guess from Darren in accounts were showing rain all day in Bromsgrove despite the maps clearly showing otherwise. I think this fooled a few of our leaders' intentions. I confirm the maps were spot on, our A-ride to Staffordshire had no rain till we crossed the M54, then rain started, and was a deluge by Stafford. In the meantime, Bromsgrove and all points south was lovely all day.

Here endeth the retrospective weather forecast.

So a disappointing turn out of club riders, with just the A-riders venturing out but top honours this week anyway are given to Carolyn Clegg for completing the Alpe d'Huez Triathlon in temperatures above 40c. This tri also includes an ascent of the Alpe d'Huez mountain so great work, Carolyn!

...and this week, we click over into August, so be good if we get a full set of club runs organised early. The rides are listed below, and again as the A-ride and possibly the C-rides are going long this week, alternative Beacon bursts are encouraged, otherwise A-riders are welcome to ride out to Honeybourne with us and then return from there. It's also an Intro week, and we haven't had leaders for the last couple of months, so be good if we manage it in August.

Fast Beacon Burst - Jess Rhodes Jones
A: 200kms Honeybourne audax, meeting at Barnt Green Tesco - Phil Richards (meet at 08:10, leaving at 08:15 from Barnt Green)
B: Wyre Forest Visitor Centre - Philip Whiteman.
C: The Two Clives Retro Ride 100-miler - George Barker

Intro: Leader and support required

WorcsPhil

Re: Club Runs - 4th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Jul 2019 14:11

The A-ride this week is the Tramping the Two Loops Audax on Sunday. This is a 07:45 departure from Black Horse, meeting at Barnt Green Tesco at 08:15. The route takes us from Barnt Green - Honeybourne - Banbury - Honeybourne - Barnt Green, rather than the two loops from Honeybourne.

Audax Entry - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19- ... tion=login

Route: Barnt Green - Honeybourne loop https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30692558?beta=false
Route: Honeybourne - Banbury loop https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30692515

We officially start in Barnt Green, so if you enter the event, you will need a receipt there before heading to Honeybourne (event HQ) for first stop. Please bring £7.00 cash for entry on the day if you haven't entered already, as we will be using the Honeybourne HQ for our fuel stops.
As we are starting at a mid-point our main fuelling points will actually be 1/4 and 3/4 of the ride, with a quick shop stop at the control in Banbury.

A-riders not entering the audax are welcome, and you have the route back to Barnt Green above...

Main stops will be:
52km - Honeybourne Village Hall (Event HQ)
103km - Banbury Control (Tesco Express?)
157km - Honeybourne Village Hall (Event HQ)
207kms - Barnt Green

George

Post by George » 30 Jul 2019 15:03

This week's B and/or C ride will hopefully be both a retro rally and a substitute for last week's rained-off 100-in-however-long.

Notes:
1. The retro rally aspect is weather-dependent, insofar as I will not ride my retro bike if the forecast is dire. At the moment, the forecast is sunshine and showers, and I am very much in two minds. Die-hard retro enthusiasts are of course free to ride steel regardless of what I choose to do.
2. Unless it turns biblical again, the ride will go ahead regardless; it is only my choice of bike that is weather-dependent.
3. You do not need a retro bike to take part, but it would be nice to see some old machines.
4. We'll start at standard club-run time (meet 09:00-ish for 09:15 departure).
5. Left to my own devices, I would typically ride my retro bike at about 24kph/15mph. However, we will (within reason) go at the pace of the slowest rider, so some of the ride may be slower than the figure given above.
6. The route is 'The Two Clives': 163km (>100mi), rolling terrain, with two café stops, at 65km and at 115km, at Clives of Upton and Clives of Cropthorn. (Can also be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/y5ftrpb9)
7. Anyone who fancies joining us, but doesn't want to do 100 miles, is welcome to peel off at Croome Park (which we pass at >50km), or to head for home after Clives #1. If you do that, you'll either have to retrace the outward route or devise your own return route.
8. I expect us to ride as a compact, orderly group, in pairs or single file depending on traffic conditions, without uphill surges, without solo forays off the front, and without chaotic regrouping.

I haven't yet contacted the cafés, but intend to do so later in the week. While this is, like all club runs, a turn-up-and-go ride, expressions of interest are welcome, so that I know what to tell the café people.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Aug 2019 16:48

B Run. Destination: Wyre Forest. Dep: 0915

On Sunday I will expect observance of club run rules on etiquette.

In particular EVERY RIDER repeating shouts so that every receives a warning. NO sudden stopping without warning. 'Holding your line' and not meandering across the carriageway or into other riders.

Please familiarise yourself with our club run guidelines. Any dangerous riders or persons repeatedly not observing the guidelines will be asked to leave the group and ride elsewhere.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 02 Aug 2019 17:32

I’ll lead a fast A Beacon Burst - 75km ish

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Aug 2019 17:48

PLEASE CHECK YOUR DIARIES

On Sunday morning I will be recruiting (press-ganging) club run riders into helping at the next Beacon event on 5th October at (7am-9am or some period between 3.30 - 9.30pm) at Belbroughton.

http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/autumn-audax/

Free beer awaits or plentiful cake to eat.

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 03 Aug 2019 11:13

Girls Ride - Saturday 3rd aug
Gemma Johnson. - leading
Laurie Darbyshire
Helen J

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 03 Aug 2019 11:36

100 mile retro club run
George I plan to meet you at the first Cafe stop at about 11.00. Is this at Clives Fruit Farm just outside Upton upon Severn?
http://clivesfruitfarm.co.uk/

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

PeteNorman

Re: Club Runs - 4th August Intro Ride

Post by PeteNorman » 03 Aug 2019 16:18

Hi

I'll lead an intro ride to Feckenham café stop, (and back).

I'm coming back from injury so it's nice and gentle, extremely friendly, about 30 miles in all, home by noon

Pete Norman

Pete Norman (L)
David Little
Derek Reynolds

No new riders for intro so a pleasant 13mph to Feckenham.
Last edited by PeteNorman on 04 Aug 2019 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 03 Aug 2019 16:48

Cracking the whip like an Army Major tomorrow eh Mr Whiteman?
Philip Whiteman wrote:
02 Aug 2019 16:48

In particular EVERY RIDER repeating shouts so that every receives a warning. NO sudden stopping without warning. 'Holding your line' and not meandering across the carriageway or into other riders.

Please familiarise yourself with our club run guidelines. Any dangerous riders or persons repeatedly not observing the guidelines will be asked to leave the group and ride elsewhere.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Aug 2019 18:15

Nicks_77 wrote:
03 Aug 2019 16:48
Cracking the whip like an Army Major tomorrow eh Mr Whiteman?
Philip Whiteman wrote:
02 Aug 2019 16:48

Sgt Mjr Whiteman, if you don't mind.

George

Post by George » 03 Aug 2019 19:01

David Cole wrote:
03 Aug 2019 11:36
100 mile retro club run
George I plan to meet you at the first Cafe stop at about 11.00. Is this at Clives Fruit Farm just outside Upton upon Severn?
http://clivesfruitfarm.co.uk/

Dave
Yes, that's the place, Dave. I look forward to seeing you there. However, it's 65km into the planned route, so I don't think we'll be there until about noon.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 03 Aug 2019 20:56

Thanks George
I will aim for 12.00 then
Dave
David Cole

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Aug 2019 16:24

A very well disciplined group of riders today. I had no worries on the safety side and was certainly a much improved experience.

Well done to Huan Dong who had considered the intro ride but rode valiantly with the B run which included quite a few challenging climbs. The route was Belbroughton, Wolverley, Drakelow, Shatterford, Arley and Wyre Forest before making the standard return via Bliss Gate, Stourport and home.

Philip Whiteman
Phil Gameson
Barry Evans
Don Bradman
Huan Dong
Cedric Goan
Matt Hale
Toby Hale
+ Martin from Clent who tagged along from Arley

As a reminder to my announcement this morning at The Black Horse, please check your diaries for 5th October as will be getting in contact will today's club run riders to assist at the Beacon's South Salopian audax on 5th October, this is assuming that you have not already assisted at our last audax or intend to ride the audax.

neil_evanson

Post by neil_evanson » 04 Aug 2019 19:55

C - Ride to Croome Park.

Big thank you to George for leading 6 none 100 mile riders out to Croome Park on his route out to 100 mile first stop.

Had no issues on return and can report also a good disciplined group of riders back to B/H.

Riders in alphabetical order-:

Finbarr Costigan
Neil Evanson (Lead Home)
Wayne Gibbs
Adrian McHugh
David Stephenson
Ash Turner.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 04 Aug 2019 21:43

An excellent A-ride doubling up as a 200kms Audax. On the ride were (in alphabetical order)

Ka Li
Phil Richards (Leading)
Nick Shenton
Simon White
Jon Williams
Andy Wrightson

Unfortunately a knee injury severely hampered Ka so much so he wasn’t his normal whippet on the climbs. He eventually called for reinforcements back in Honeybourne- really hope you got back ok in a non-frosty car! Thanks to all riders, really equitable riding on the front today...

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 05 Aug 2019 07:12

On today’s Beacon Burst were:

Jessica Rhodes-Jones (leading)
Gavin Passmore
Xavier Disley
Laurence Cooley

George

Post by George » 05 Aug 2019 10:25

Doing the full 100-mile ride with retro-flavour on Sunday were:

George Barker (L)
Si Walker
Claire Fudge
Dave Phelps

We were joined at the café by Dave Cole.

Thanks everyone for your company on a very enjoyable ride. There was some slight confusion about who was going where at the very end, which led to us all going in different directions without properly taking our leave. Claire, if you still want that info, DM me or e-mail george [at] beaconrcc [dot] org [dot] uk.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 05 Aug 2019 11:29

George, thanks for cracking ride, very enjoyable and nice steady pace, with two cafes for refuelling.
Si Walker