Club Runs - 23rd February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 23rd February

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Feb 2020 10:37

Ciara, Dennis...will it ever end? No doubt Storm Ermintrude will raise it's head next weekend, but let's be optimistic that weekend storms are behind us, and we can now get back to enjoy our cycling. Indeed, if there are storms every week, then Simon Woodward would win the Club Run trophy by a landslide (oops, am I allowed to use that phrase today?)

Anyway, somehow, there were four riders out on Sunday, braving the elements, so a big kudos to them. Don't forget, indoor rides don't yet get club run points, but who knows in the future... (in some far off galaxy!).

So, this week, we have a new innovation, which is a D-Run, led by Dave Cox and defined as "we will be riding at between 12 and 13 mph average but obviously no one will be left behind. It should be good for anyone who like me has been off the bike for a few weeks but wants to kick start their training for C runs or the Snowdrop or the Velo. Or anyone who enjoys a good social ride."

An excellent addition to the late winter schedule. Don't forget, Philip Whiteman posted onto the message board a huge selection of routes with café stops for rides such as these, so promote them at your leisure any week. Also, don't forget a Beacon Burst if you're pressed for time.

This week's rides are:

A: Clows Top - Phil Richards
B: Wyre Forest Cafe: Philip Whiteman
C: Warwick - Si Walker

...and a D Ride: Earlswood, led by Dave Cox (40miles with a café stop)

stuart jones

Re: Club Runs - 23rd February

Post by stuart jones » 18 Feb 2020 20:44

As a new member trying out the different rides etc, I just wondered if there are any details for the Beacon Burst?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Feb 2020 08:50

stuart jones wrote:
18 Feb 2020 20:44
As a new member trying out the different rides etc, I just wondered if there are any details for the Beacon Burst?
Hello Stuart.

Beacon Bursts are usually periodic B runs interspersed with normal B Run. It depends upon somebody volunteering to lead it. Generally they are around 45-50 miles without cafe stop. It is a burst for people preferring to return earlier than a normal club run but not a training bash.

Don't be too deterred by the lack of named leaders each week, each A,B & C run usually goes ahead unless the weather is dire.

Regards

Philip

stuart jones

Post by stuart jones » 19 Feb 2020 11:31

Philip Whiteman wrote:
19 Feb 2020 08:50
stuart jones wrote:
Hello Stuart.

Beacon Bursts are usually periodic B runs interspersed with normal B Run. It depends upon somebody volunteering to lead it. Generally, they are around 45-50 miles without cafe stop. It is a burst for people preferring to return earlier than a normal club run but not a training bash.

Don't be too deterred by the lack of named leaders each week, each A,B & C run usually goes ahead unless the weather is dire.

Regards

Philip
Thanks, Phil for your reply..........how are these bursts advertised, ie start time and location etc, just not seen one on club runs? thanks.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Feb 2020 18:24

stuart jones wrote:
19 Feb 2020 11:31
Philip Whiteman wrote:
19 Feb 2020 08:50
stuart jones wrote:
Hello Stuart.

Beacon Bursts are usually periodic B runs interspersed with normal B Run. It depends upon somebody volunteering to lead it. Generally, they are around 45-50 miles without cafe stop. It is a burst for people preferring to return earlier than a normal club run but not a training bash.

Regards

Philip
Thanks, Phil for your reply..........how are these bursts advertised, ie start time and location etc, just not seen one on club runs? thanks.
If there is one, somebody will usually post an announcement on the weekly club run list. Like all our Sunday club runs they leave the Black Horse, Northfield at 9am for 9.15am departure. In summer they may leave earlier. I know that Gemma has been taking a few recently.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Feb 2020 09:08

I take the B Run tomorrow: Worcester Country Park

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Feb 2020 09:11

I take the B Run tomorrow: Wyre Forest VC

Out via Wolverley, Shatterford Bank and Arley;
Back via Heightington, Stourport and Belbroughton

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Feb 2020 13:14

The A-run tomorrow will be to Clows Top, albeit using a fairly flat route...58kms out, but just 43kms back...
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31984353

Please can we have a C-ride leader coming forward, then we'll have a full house of 4 rides tomorrow.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 22 Feb 2020 14:34

I'll lead a C ride to Warwick, 53 miles BHorse return, out via Ullenhall and Morton Baggot, return via Beausale and Earlswood. Coffee at the Tilted Wig or other as preferred. Bring a cafe lock
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31984783
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 22 Feb 2020 15:30

Just to confirm D run will be to Earlswood via lumpy route c 30 miles av speed likely to be between 11-12 mph

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Feb 2020 11:45

B run.

Philip Whiteman L
Pete Warwick
Andrew O'Connor

Great to meet two new faces. It was Andrew's first ride with the club.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 23 Feb 2020 13:54

D Run to Earlswood lumpy route

Dave Cox leading
Dave Cole
Dave Little
Davina (Bryony) Aitken

Enjoyable social ride everyone welcome you don't have to be a Dave.

Looks like there might be a demand for D Runs. I'll lead them when I'm available. Idea is to gradually build up distances and average speed for riders recovering from a lay off or building up to charity rides, audaxes or the Velo later in the summer. Also will try to re-establish the Tuesday group. Leaving Black Horse at 9.15. DM me if you are interested. Next Tuesday 25th will be to Wolverley.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 23 Feb 2020 16:01

Hi

I am more interested in the D runs too

I will lead as well if required, but cant do sunday 1st or 29th March

Thanks
Paul
Thank You

Paul B

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 23 Feb 2020 16:02

On the 'C' ride to Warwick were as follows;

Neil Evanson
Simon Turner
Si Walker (Leading)

I was expecting Andrew O'Connor to join us but see he went on the b ride.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 23 Feb 2020 16:37

A splendidly hilly A-ride this week to Clows Top.

On the ride were (in alphabetical order)

James Bendle
Anthony Featherstone
Tyson Fury
The unsociable Paul Johnson
Ka Li
Neil ‘summer bike’ Lynch
Ade Ravenscroft
Phil Richards (Leading)
Nick Shenton
Vince Tennant
George Thorne
Andy Wrightson

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 23 Feb 2020 21:42

Many thanks for a great club run Phil. Incidentally, did you know that somewhere on Clows top is a plaque in memory of the late great Hughie Maguire. Please let me know if we're heading out that way again, and I'll try & find out exactly where it is.
Some things actually DO happen that are not on Strava

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Feb 2020 08:27

AdeR wrote:
23 Feb 2020 21:42
Many thanks for a great club run Phil. Incidentally, did you know that somewhere on Clows top is a plaque in memory of the late great Hughie Maguire. Please let me know if we're heading out that way again, and I'll try & find out exactly where it is.
Ade, Are you sure it is at Clows Top? As I understood he died on the descent from Abberley down into Great Witley which is where I assume that it would have been placed. Though Hughie did ride the Tour of the Abberleys and Clows Top was often a finish line. Either way, it is great to learn that a plaque has been placed somewhere out of commemoration. If you do find it, it may be worth routing a club run via the plaque.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/123 ... h-mcguire/ (you'll have to excuse the Savile reference)