Club Run Database - Time for an update?

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

caashford

Club Run Database - Time for an update?

Post by caashford » 24 Mar 2020 10:00

Ok, so now we all have a bit of free time on our hands and are looking forward to getting back out on the bike in a few weeks (hopefully) is there any chance that people could upload / copy their known routes to the Club Run Database? Just a brief description of:
Direction / Terrain / Length

It would be great to have a resource for a range of rides that we can do solo (should we choose too). If this isn't in the spirit of the latest announcements then I'm happy to be shot down, but please don't troll me as I don't want to cause any anguish to anyone who may be particularly effected by recent situation.

Many thanks,
Chris

George

Re: Club Run Database - Time for an update?

Post by George » 24 Mar 2020 10:23

For the foreseeable future, the destinations for my Sunday rides will be benches in isolated places (viewpoints, picnic spots, bus shelters, etc). I was mentally noting a few as I was riding on Sunday just gone, and thinking to myself that I could do with a 'database' of benches. I saw several good places on the road from Breedon to Beckford, for example, and near the Avon around Charlton/Fladbury (these look particularly promising, because there are a number, all set well apart). Suggestions gratefully received!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Mar 2020 10:25

Good for you Chris. This is what I'm calling Beveridge work. He planned the Welfare State in 1942 while the bombs were still falling. It's a good way of filling down time and one bit of the Blitz spirit that might pay off !

caashford

Post by caashford » 26 Mar 2020 09:07

If anyone has Strava premium I would be interested as to how this would turn out new club runs:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ure-452517

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 27 Mar 2020 08:56

All my cycling, running and walking routes (600+ since 2011) are in RWGPS, most bike routes start/finish in Bromsgrove.

https://ridewithgps.com/users/17101/routes

George

Post by George » 28 Mar 2020 10:58

I used to use RWGPS years ago, but switched to Strava because I found their route planner much easier to use. However, I've become increasingly frustrated with Strava because of various things you can't do: import routes, sort your collected routes by name/distance/region, search your collected routes for keywords, etc. And, in the years since I deserted, RWGPS has improved hugely, and lets you do all the things that Strava doesn't. Only trouble is that many of the best routing features are only available to Premium subscribers ($80/year).

So, what if we create a Beacon Clubruns Premium user account with RWGPS, paid for by the club? The account could be managed by the Club Run Sec, or he could delegate that task to someone keen. The account could serve as a route library, with routes visible either publicly or on a friends-only basis. People could send GPX files created with other software/platforms to the Club Run Sec for import to the library, and/or the account password could be shared with a handful of regular leaders, who could plot directly in RWGPS. We'd have to agree a few basic rules, such as a route naming protocol, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 30 Mar 2020 10:33

That looks like a smart idea George. I don't have Strava but most people do. Basic Strava is free I believe.