Beacon Bakers Dozen - Sunday July 19th

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Beacon Bakers Dozen - Sunday July 19th

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 Jul 2020 08:29

Although not a formal club run, club run points will be awarded to those who are out at the Beacon Bakers Dozen this coming Sunday. This is an informal club run, so there are no limits to how many participate, just ride solo or in small groups and have a beer or bacon sarnie in Winchcombe at the end.

The Bakers Dozen is 13 horrible climbs in the Cotswolds, and you can ride as many or as few hills as you want. It's not a competition, just an excuse to wave at Beacon riders all day. The 'official route' is below.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO RIDE THIS EXACT ROUTE - ride 1, 2, 10 or all 13 hills in any order, it's up to you! This route goes up and then down the 13 hills, which some people don't like to do and prefer loops, so vary it as you see fit. You may just want to ride one hill, then go for a beer...and why not!

Start at any time in the morning, wear a Beacon top, ride independently or in very small groups, ride at your own pace, finish with a beer in Winchcombe town centre. Wave enthusiastically at your fellow Beacon rider!

This is the official route, but as I said, ride what you want! Come prepared for a truly horrible day, but treat it as a 'fun' social day, rather than a competition (except for those who want to blast it!) 😁

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33182274

Finally, The Bakers Dozen is a ride designed by the charity Cyclists Fighting Cancer, a charity that helps kids with cancer. If you complete this, it may be prudent to make a small donation to this worthy cause at www.cyclistsfc.org.uk to help raise crucial funds for the charity as all of their money-raising events have been cancelled during this Covid period.

Philip Whiteman

Re: Beacon Bakers Dozen - Sunday July 19th

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Jul 2020 11:33

Whilst we are riding independently, as an indicative idea when are people intending to start? I shall commence at around 8.30-9am from Winchcombe with a refreshment stop at Ilmington Community Shop (closes 1pm) before returning southwards.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 13 Jul 2020 19:01

My plan is to set off around 06:30 from home. I'll head down to Illmington and will hopefully be in Winchcombe before closing time. I'll then plod my way home from there.

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 14 Jul 2020 19:37

I'm planning to ride a 60 mile loop from Bidford that takes in 4 hills.
Starting about an hour or so after I get out of bed.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Jul 2020 22:55

I hope to park in Evesham and be climbing the first hill in Ilmington around 09:30... and will finish when I finish.

Be great to see loads of Beacon jerseys going up and down these hills on Sunday!

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 17 Jul 2020 18:38

This route with start/finish in Winchcombe. I'll start about 8.30-9.00

https://www.strava.com/routes/2715315604133172092

6 climbs, loops, not straight up and down

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Jul 2020 15:13

I did my own route with built in loops to avoid the climbs and immediate descents. All in al, I missed out the climbs up from Stanway and Fish Hill but added in further climb out of Charlton Abbots

Not surprisingly I did not see everyone out to day but did meet or pass:

- Andy Terry
- Sir Simon Woodward KBE
- Martin McGowan
- Chris Ashford
- Neil Lynch

Worst hill - Suddeley Hill
Worst descent: Stanway Hill on account to the non-existent tarmac.
Most interesting - the unclassified road climbing up Ilmington Hill located to the west of Ilmington.