Two-Day overnighter Weston run 3-4 July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

Two-Day overnighter Weston run 3-4 July

Post by George » 25 May 2021 09:46

A 'reliability ride' to Weston-super-Mare and back was a one of the key events on the Beacon's calendar back in the early days. So, as part of the various activities being organised to mark the club's 75th anniversary, the Weston run is being revived. (See separate thread.)

A few of us who like the idea of the revival, but don't quite feel up to 300km of trying and failing to keep up with some of the club's strongest riders, have decided to do the run as a two-day trip with an overnight stop in Weston. The pace will be leisurely, the route will be off the main roads as far as possible, and there may be a couple of beers involved.

If you're interested, post here or speak to/message me, Si Walker, Simon Woodward or Alan Weaver. The four of us have booked ourselves two rooms at the following hotel. Anyone else who fancies the trip is advised to book fairly soon if you want to be in the same place as the rest of us. Full details of the route, planned café stops, etc will follow.
https://tinyurl.com/svn7dt9t

George

Re: Slow Weston run 3-4 July

Post by George » 25 May 2021 23:21

Participant list as of 28/6/21:
Si Walker
Si Woodward
Alan Weaver
George Barker
Cedric Gioan
Ben Lowe
Paul Balfe
Eugene Farrel
Lewis Singleton
Will anyone on that list who wants accommodation please either make your own booking or liaise with other people on the list about making a joint booking.
Looks like being a good trip. I look forward to getting to know the ones I don't yet already know well!
Last edited by George on 28 Jun 2021 08:15, edited 3 times in total.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » 26 May 2021 13:02

Please can I join you all?

George

Post by George » 26 May 2021 15:35

You absolutely can, Lewis!

If I understand it correctly, the current rooming arrangements are as follows (please correct me if I've got anything wrong):

Si Walker + Alan Weaver (booked)
Si Woodward + George Barker (booked)
Eugene Farrel - staying with relatives (booking not needed)
Paul Balfe - prefers to room alone (booked)
Cedric Gioan + Ben Lowe (booked)
Lewis Singleton + ? (not yet booked)

Unless you like being on your own, Lewis, it would be good if we could get someone else on the ride. Are you happy to go ahead and book a twin room pending identification of a room-mate? (Some of the booking options offer free cancellation.)
Last edited by George on 06 Jun 2021 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

George

Post by George » 26 May 2021 15:37

NB: if the group gets too big, we may have to divide into two or more groups on the road and at cafés. However, I don't see any reason to limit the overall party size.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 27 May 2021 12:34

If anyone books a room at Premier Inn you can request a ground or low floor room (so you don't have to haul your bike up too many stairs to your room) by contacting @premierinn via Twitter. They will require your Name, Booking reference, email and hotel, the comms are secure and its very easy.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 06 Jun 2021 21:29

Ben has booked for both of us

George

Post by George » 06 Jun 2021 22:08

CeGi wrote:
06 Jun 2021 21:29
Ben has booked for both of us
Great. Hopefully we can find someone to share with Lewis (assuming he wants to share).

Cycleperson698

Post by Cycleperson698 » 08 Jun 2021 13:02

Guys are you carrying clothes and maybe a pair of shoes or do we rock up to the beefeater in full cycle gear?

Also do we need to book food for evening / morning and is there a determination as to where?

The Premier Inn mentioned booking breakfast early as Saturday/Sunday a busy day. I’ve not done this yet and would certainly be after something before heading off, defo a coffee.

If there’s another area to discuss / where you’re discussing let me know.
Cheers
Ben Lowe

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 08 Jun 2021 17:33

Premier inn do a breakfast for about £9:00 (booked) including cooked and continental plus coffee and orange juice. I think it’s a available from 7:00 or 7:30 on Sunday. It’s very good and have just spent 5 days eating them during a cycle tour. Not booked evening meal, fish and chips or pub meal on arrival I guess.
I shall take a change of clothes, shorts and tee shirt, trainers in a pannier. Plus extra food (bananas, energy bars) for the journey and any wet weather gear depending upon the forecast. You can wash your cycling kit and it will dry overnight for the next day.
Si Walker

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 08 Jun 2021 22:18

Cycleperson698 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 13:02
Guys are you carrying clothes and maybe a pair of shoes or do we rock up to the beefeater in full cycle gear?
I am going to try to take a clean top and a clean pair of shorts. Shoewise I have some MTB cleats so can walk with my cycling shoes

George

Post by George » 09 Jun 2021 11:45

I will be taking a set of lightweight 'civvies' in a saddlebag.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 09 Jun 2021 13:07

Cycleperson698 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 13:02

Also do we need to book food for evening / morning and is there a determination as to where?

The Premier Inn mentioned booking breakfast early as Saturday/Sunday a busy day. I’ve not done this yet and would certainly be after something before heading off, defo a coffee.

If there’s another area to discuss / where you’re discussing let me know.
Cheers
Ben Lowe
Ben,
I'll be either cycling in sandles or taking flipflops and carrying some lightweight clothes in a pannier. If anyone's stuck for space, I'm happy to carry lightweight clothes but we certainly won't be dressing for dinner.

Cycleperson698

Post by Cycleperson698 » 09 Jun 2021 22:37

Cheers all. Will have a think on this. No issue washing my cycle gear and or where dinner is.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 10 Jun 2021 14:28

Si_Walker wrote:
08 Jun 2021 17:33
Premier inn do a breakfast for about £9:00 (booked) including cooked and continental plus coffee and orange juice. I think it’s a available from 7:00 or 7:30 on Sunday.
I take it we need to book it ?!
If so, what time do you expect us to be starting our way back north Sunday?
Similarly, I don't remember having seen the meet/departure time on Saturday

George

Post by George » 12 Jun 2021 10:03

CeGi wrote:
10 Jun 2021 14:28
Si_Walker wrote:
08 Jun 2021 17:33
Premier inn do a breakfast for about £9:00 (booked) including cooked and continental plus coffee and orange juice. I think it’s a available from 7:00 or 7:30 on Sunday.
I take it we need to book it ?!
If so, what time do you expect us to be starting our way back north Sunday?
Similarly, I don't remember having seen the meet/departure time on Saturday
Cedric, I would be surprised if the timing of Sunday's departure is decided before the Saturday night. Outward departure is subject to negotiation. I'm not joining the group until down near Gloucester, so I'll leave BH departure suggestions to others, but it'll need to be reasonably early if we're going to ride slowly, have a couple of stops and arrive by teatime. I do have a half-finished route plan, which I'll share when I have ironed out a few flaws. Obviously someone else will need to plan a route to Gloucester (and possibly beyond, if you don't like mine).

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 12 Jun 2021 20:51

Not sure if I'll ride up to the Black Horse to meet you guys, guess it depends on the intended route but I'm guessing Tardebigge way?

Has a start time been decided yet to?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 12 Jun 2021 23:33

Here is a starter proposal for discussion and subject to modification depending upon George's routing plan.
Route from the Black Horse (outwards only) - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36398488
113 miles to Weston Pier plus 1.5 miles to hotel via a cycle route
If there is agreement this would be a suitable route for the return as well as it is a relatively flat for the majority of the route and probably the shortish route bearing in mind some of us may be quite tired on the return journey.
Bail out points are frequent for those unable to continue to get a train or wait for a pick up.

Routed via Tardebigge to meet up with Alan W (if you are considering joining the group en-route let us know)
Estimated arrival at Gloucester 11:00 hrs
Passing through Gloucester taking the cycle path out of town (the A38 is particularly busy in this area)
A lumpy section in the Thornbury area (the A38 is an alternative her but still has a long steady climb)
Some sections of A38 out of Tewksbury and North Bristol area. (from experience, it is not too bad as most traffic uses the motorway)
Suggested break stops at Tewksbury (41 miles) and Thornbury (80 miles)
Rest stops perhaps 40 mins or thereabouts

Suggested speed is perhaps 12-14 mph considering if folk are carrying a bag and the slower sections of bike paths
Estimated travel time 10.5 hours
Suggested start time from the BH 06:30 promptly.
Estimated arrival time at Weston 17:00 hrs

The route would benefit from being checked carefully please to check the tricky bits around Gloucester and crossing the Avon Bridge and sections with which you may be familiar for anything I have overlooked..

We should consider each having a list of riders phone numbers and a contact number in case or emergency.

I don't wish to tell 'grandmas how to suck eggs' but may I suggest the following:
Check your bike carefully and sort out in advance for any potential mechanical issues, such as brakes, tyres, cables preventative maintenance is better than on the road repairs.
Carry some spares e.g. 2-3 spare inner tubes, spare brake and gear cable, spare brake pads or anything specific to your bike.
don't forget a USB cable and plug(s) for recharging devices,
Carry lights for daytime visibility,
Carry some spare 'bonk' food such as bananas, malt loaf, gels, jellies etc. (a top tube bag is useful for this).
Have a GPS device and route(s) loaded in case you have to resort to finding your own way.
No idea what the weather will be like but plan nearer the time for the possibility of baking heat or monsoon!
The group size will require consideration nearer the time, perhaps a slow group and faster group.
Si Walker

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 Jun 2021 18:08

A couple of things and I'm not bothered either way, but I thought that the outward journey was going out via the Forest of Dean and over the Severn Bridge?

There is a great garden centre just the other side of Gloucester that makes a great stop, Eastwood Garden Plant Centre, Falfield, Wotton-under-Edge GL12 8DA.

There is also 24 hour McDonalds just outside of Gloucester on the island of A38 and B4008

When you get to Yatton, there is a Stawberry Line cycle path at the end of the station car park. It cuts the corner off and saves any interaction with a short section of the main road, perfectly ridable as it semi compacted surface
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 13 Jun 2021 22:22

AlanW wrote:
13 Jun 2021 18:08
A couple of things and I'm not bothered either way, but I thought that the outward journey was going out via the Forest of Dean and over the Severn Bridge?
That's what the fast one-day group is doing, Alan. I think this group was always looking for something a bit easier.

George

Post by George » 13 Jun 2021 22:25

Thanks for the route suggestion, Si. I'll try to make time to take a good look in the days ahead, and also check out Alan's café suggestion. I think the garden centre is likely to be more my cup of tea than a 24-hour McDonald's.

Cycleperson698

Post by Cycleperson698 » 22 Jun 2021 00:45

Many thanks Si for the egg sucking, I’ll be sure to adhere to all on that as best as I’m able. No broken chains hopefully hay Cedric!
Agree with George on Garden Centre but McDs does go down easy too and the ride through option in Lycra will also be a first for me, possible the poor staff too.
Regarding route planning, if once the more experienced have added any thoughts I’ll certainly look at the adjusted for potential oddities that may through us off. Definitely one of the hardest of the planning stages.

Cheers
Ben Lowe

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 23 Jun 2021 22:49

Cycleperson698 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 00:45
No broken chains hopefully hay Cedric!
Hi Ben,
following your chain ordeal, then George Gargie and then a 3 person, I took the bull by the horns and changed my 2 1/2 years old chain this week. I kept the spare links with rapid link, and got a new multitool which includes a chain tool. So hopefully I have all it take should I be struck by chain disaster again.
Chain.jpg
Chain.jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 24378 times
With cables, tubes, even a spare tyre, I have pretty much all what's required to suck eggs. The only thing I will not take to WSM is a bottom bracket!!
Last edited by CeGi on 24 Jun 2021 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Cycleperson698

Post by Cycleperson698 » 23 Jun 2021 23:40

God man, I’ll be expecting a service on my bike from you in Western then too. I’m still waiting on my bike saddle bag but should be here in good time for or ride. Just need fingers crossed for mild weather and little wind now.

George

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 09:43

Si_Walker wrote:
12 Jun 2021 23:33
Here is a starter proposal for discussion and subject to modification depending upon George's routing plan.
Many thanks for doing this, Si. As you suggested, I've taken a look at it. Broadly speaking, it looks great. The only suggestion I would make is for a minor tweak in the Thornbury area. If we stay off the A38 there, we can save ourselves about 2km, with almost identical ascent.

I've also got a couple of café suggestions. There's a very nice café called The Stables, at Frampton, south of Gloucester, which I've visited before. It's almost exactly half way for anyone starting at the BH. Your draft route skirts just past it, but with a tiny tweak (with almost no distance/climbing impact), you can include it on the route. I think that this would make a good place for me to link up with the main group. If you set off at 06:30 as suggested, ride at the advertised speed and stop for 30 minutes in Tewkesbury, I estimate that you will get there at 11:15 or a little after. Either we could make that a stop for everyone or, if it doesn't fit your schedule well, I'll get there earlier, eat before you arrive and be ready to ride when the rest of you appear.

If anyone wants a break in the second half of the ride, there's a takeaway in the park with benches at Beverston Castle, which is on your proposed route at roughly the three-quarter distance mark.

Here is my edit to your route, incorporating the Thornbury tweak and the Frampton micro-tweak:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36583356

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Jun 2021 10:45

George wrote:
28 Jun 2021 09:43
Si_Walker wrote:
12 Jun 2021 23:33
Many thanks for doing this, Si. As you suggested, I've taken a look at it. Broadly speaking, it looks great. The only suggestion I would make is for a minor tweak in the Thornbury area. If we stay off the A38 there, we can save ourselves about 2km, with almost identical ascent.
Here is my edit to your route, incorporating the Thornbury tweak and the Frampton micro-tweak:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36583356

George, thanks for those suggestions and all OK. I think you are referring to Blaise Castle? just north of the Avon not Beverston, which is miles away.
I'll post an update later today with more details, including a return route, suggested stops etc.
Si Walker

George

Re: Two-Day overnighter Weston run 3-4 July

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 11:44

Yes, sorry... no idea where 'Beverston' came from!

George

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 11:46

Btw, I had an e-mail from Premier Inns the other day asking whether we wanted to book an evening meal there. I haven't yet done so. I'm assuming that most of us would rather eat at a pub or similar. Let me know if I've got that wrong.

George

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 11:50

George wrote:
28 Jun 2021 11:44
Yes, sorry... no idea where 'Beverston' came from!
I take that back. I do know where I got it from. There's a café nearby on a road called Beverston Gardens that I was looking at, but then I decided Blaise Castle was more convenient (and proceeded to muddle the two names up).

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Jun 2021 12:28

George wrote:
28 Jun 2021 11:46
Btw, I had an e-mail from Premier Inns the other day asking whether we wanted to book an evening meal there. I haven't yet done so. I'm assuming that most of us would rather eat at a pub or similar. Let me know if I've got that wrong.
George, re evening meal, yes preferably eat at a pub or somewhere. Although the food is often good at Prems, as it’s a Beefeater in this case next door to the hotel. We could use it as a fall back position as I can’t imagine many of the clientele using it on a Saturday night.
Si Walker

Lewis

Post by Lewis » 28 Jun 2021 14:14

I was very late to look at room bookings, and now they’ve gone up to £140! Unless there are any last minute joiners who I can split with, I’ll book an Airbnb down the road instead. Let me know please :)

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Jun 2021 14:36

Lewis wrote:
28 Jun 2021 14:14
I was very late to look at room bookings, and now they’ve gone up to £140! Unless there are any last minute joiners who I can split with, I’ll book an Airbnb down the road instead. Let me know please :)
Lewis: I am not aware of anyone else who is intending to ride. I am going to post a message about arrangements later today to request confirmation of riders and provide other information.
Si Walker

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Jun 2021 16:45

Arrangements:

Routes

These are the latest route updates (updated today Mon 28th for minor tweaks), please ensure you check again on Friday in case there are any last minute changes, and download a copy for your device.

Outward. (115 miles): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36583690

Return: (114 miles) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36525999
(routed slightly differently to the outward path at Tewksbury and later goes via Bromsgrove to avoid Barnt Green hill, taking the cycle path by the southbound road along A38 towards Rubery.

Outward
Departure: meet 06:15 for a prompt 06:30 departure from the Black Horse
Rest Stop1: 42 miles, Tewksbury, The Hop Pole or cafe after approx 3hrs, short stop 30 mins approx 09:15, for refreshment.
Rest Stop 2: 58 miles, The Stables cafe, Frampton to rendezvous with George at approx 11:15 https://thestablescafe.my-free.website
Rest stop 3 (optional); 86 miles, Takeaway at Blaise Castle park, north of the Avon crossing.

Evening meal
Find a pub or similar establishment nearby. There is a Beefeater next to the Premier Inn hotel, we could use this as a good fall back position or if too tired to walk into town. Note: If England win the match on Tues, they will be playing on Saturday at 20:00hrs.

Return;
Group Departure; From
Premier Inn , Hutton Moor Road. (A370), Weston-Super-Mare, BS22 8LY
Sat Nav Directions: BS22 8LY
Aim for no later than 08:00, not sure what time breakfast is served, but suggest an early as possible booking on arrival.
Rest Stop 1: (optional). 26 miles, Blaise Castle Park takeaway, for drinks
Rest Stop 2: 53 miles The Stables cafe, Frampton
Rest Stop 2: 73 miles Tewksbury, a Cafe / supermarket in the high street.
Rest Stop 4 (optional); 93 miles Crowle, Springdale Garden centre (closes at 16:00 on Sunday)

Riders

Would all riders please confirm by Thursday 1st July who will be attending and whether you will be meeting the group at the Black Horse or elsewhere on the outward route please.

Riders confirmed

Si Walker - Black Horse
Si Woodward - Black Horse
Eugene Farrell - Black Horse
Paul Balfe - Black Horse
Ben Lowe - Black Horse
Lewis Singleton - Black Horse

Alan Weaver (meeting at Tardebigge)
George Barker (meeting at Frampton)

Phone numbers:
All riders will need to be prepared to be independent, in case of a mechanical or loosing the group therefore, for comms purposes, I have formed a WhatApp ‘Weston Group’, if you send a personal message to me (Si Walker) via the message board (do not post here) with your mobile number I can add you to the group (I have George’s and Woody’s).
What3Words App is also useful for precise map locations.
(https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app/)

First Aid and Contact
There is always the chance of an untoward event when cycling in a group. I will carry a basic First Aid kit for any minor injuries.
You MUST have on your person the name and telephone number of someone (ICE) that can be contacted in the event of that being necessary .

Weather Report: as of Monday 28th June, so far not good! forecast to be wet. I expect it will change, hopefully for the better. Here’s a link to keep track;.
https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-tab ... ol/Bristol

Lights and Safety: I advise to carry and use day time lights particularly on the main roads. It goes without saying to 'single out' on main roads and use discretion elsewhere. Use callouts for potholes, horses etc. and if someone is 'off the back' get a message to the front rider.

Let me know if there is anything I might have forgotten, any final updates or queries please.
Last edited by Si_Walker on 29 Jun 2021 21:08, edited 4 times in total.
Si Walker

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 28 Jun 2021 17:03

I was really looking forward to this ride and to that adventure with the group...
... yet fate has decided otherwise.
Please take me off

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Jun 2021 17:10

CeGi wrote:
28 Jun 2021 17:03
I was really looking forward to this ride and to that adventure with the group...
... yet fate has decided otherwise.
Please take me off
Cedric, I’m sorry that you are not riding with us. Will you be liaising with Ben for the hotel? also Lewis may take up your booking- please see his earlier posting.
Si Walker

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 28 Jun 2021 17:16

Si_Walker wrote:
28 Jun 2021 17:10
Cedric, I’m sorry that you are not riding with us.
You've only got yourself to thank for this :evil:
Si_Walker wrote:
28 Jun 2021 17:10
Will you be liaising with Ben for the hotel? also Lewis may take up your booking- please see his earlier posting.
It's already all sorted.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 28 Jun 2021 19:24

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the info and a lot of work gone into the preparation and good job

I’ll be checking the weather Wednesday latest Thursday because if it’s raining I won’t be going, hate riding in the rain and I get very grumpy
Let’s hope the weather picks up, don’t mind showers but let’s see what transpires
Thank You

Paul B

Cycleperson698

Post by Cycleperson698 » 28 Jun 2021 22:08

Hello all,

Lewis I seem to have a space. If you fancy it the room was £79 I think and I book breakfast for 2 at 8 (extra) although that was though lack of knowledge of our anticipated departure (from Western obs).

PM me if you like.

George

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 23:41

Cycleperson698 wrote:
28 Jun 2021 22:08
Hello all,

Lewis I seem to have a space. If you fancy it the room was £79 I think and I book breakfast for 2 at 8 (extra) although that was though lack of knowledge of our anticipated departure (from Western obs).

PM me if you like.
Thanks for taking all the changes in your stride, Ben. I hope that the silver lining to Cedric's disappointment is a solution to Lewis's problem. If you hit a snag, do let us know. PM me if you need to.

George

Post by George » 28 Jun 2021 23:49

PaulB wrote:
28 Jun 2021 19:24
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the info and a lot of work gone into the preparation and good job

I’ll be checking the weather Wednesday latest Thursday because if it’s raining I won’t be going, hate riding in the rain and I get very grumpy
Let’s hope the weather picks up, don’t mind showers but let’s see what transpires
Hopefully you can make it, Paul. I wouldn't be inclined to jump to any premature conclusions regarding the weather. The recent showery weather has had the forecasters in something of a tizzy, with forecasts changing all the time and forecaster A often disagreeing with forecaster B. The latest one I have read suggests a largely dry Saturday, with some rain in the late afternoon evening, followed by a showery Sunday. I bet the forecast will change every day between now and the weekend.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 29 Jun 2021 08:03

Thanks George

hopefully the weather does change and thanks for the positive thoughts, it helps but lets see
shouldn't be raining in July hahahahaha
Thank You

Paul B

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Jun 2021 14:02

Discussion re tri-bars on club runs split into separate topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9567

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 05 Jul 2021 06:34

Just thought I’d write few lines about the two Weston rides having woken at 04:00 hrs with stiff legs. It has been an epic weekend.

Day 1
We started off on time at 06:30 hrs meeting Si, Ben, Lewis and Euge at the Black Horse only to have a couple of minor issues by the time we reached Longbridge. My tool bag strap snapped, so fixed it with a cable tie and Lewis's bar bag was preventing him changing gear. We met Alan in Barnt Green and then we were 5. There was a slight headwind but it was thankfully dry, nothing like that horrendous weather forecast. The first stop, going via country lanes was at 09:15 at the Hop Pole in Tewksbury for refuelling (no we didn't have a beer). Then onwards taking the A38, which was not too busy, to Gloucester. From here we took the highly recommended cycle path out of the city as the roads are generally horrendously busy. Onwards via quite lanes, running parallel to the Severn Estuary, with Wales to the distance left of us to meet George at the Stables Cafe at Frampton. By this time we were 45 minutes behind schedule and so was George due to a f**t, but surprisingly we arrived almost at the same time. Following further refreshment of cake (no Victoria sponge!) and other tasties we pressed on southward. We joined the Avon canal towpath, to avoid the A38, which had lots of fisherman on the banks with all manner of poles, boxes and trailers at their side, plus walkers oblivious to our approach as well as loose dogs. The path was also quite rutted and it required concentration to navigate safely over a mile or so without taking an unplanned diversion into the water. Coming off the towpath we progressed to take a steady climb through picturesque villages to the lovely town of Thornbury. The weather by now being dry and getting very warm. Following a descent and another ascent (the only proper lumpy section), making a change from the flat route so far, we reached Blaise Castle at ~ 90 miles for further refreshment (still no Victoria Sponge cake). Onward to the Avon bridge cycle path via a steep descent and through a housing estate. Up and over the bridge with great views (the tide was in) we took a cycle path to the next section of road. Between Portishead and Clevedon we took a quiet narrow undulating lane running parallel to the M5 which could be seen up the hillside above us. From Clevedon we made our way via the Strawberry line cycle path, occasionally rutted with puddles resulting in the bikes getting filthy dirty. Time was now pressing on. We parted with Euge on the outskirts of the town for to meet with relatives and 7 of us reached Weston seafront which was packed with footy supporters having drinks in the bars terraces, reaching the pier at 18:00hrs. An elderly lady took the group photo of us, she was keen to know what we were doing and like most that ask was amazed at the distance we had covered. We had dinner booked at 18:30 and so had to rush to get to the hotel, book in, shower and change, but we made it in time. After which we had drinks in bar and watched the England match from a distance, before retiring for the night.

Day 2
A delayed start due to waiting for breakfast meant we we late meeting back up with Euge. The weather was overcast but dry and we made an uneventful passage to the Avon bridge. Riding through the housing estate we passed a chap with an England flag drapped around him and no shirt; he'd obviously had a good night watching the match. Following which was a lumpy stretch of road to reach Blaise Castle and the first brief refreshment stop. We stopped again in Thornbury at a lovely cafe which made great coffee and a very tasty cakes but alas still no Victoria sponge. A few more lumpy bits to follow was later interrupted at Berkeley Castle by a f**t on Alan’s front tyre. Fixed in a millisecond we make a second stop again for lunch at the Stables Cafe in Frampton. By now the weather was becoming unsettled as the heavy clouds progressed towards us from the south and heavy rain could seen across the estuary in Wales. On to Gloucester where we parted company with George,at the towpath end, the rest of us reaching the town centre whereupon there was almighty downpour. Donning jackets we sheltered for a few minutes but it was clear that it was not going to ease off. Lewis left us at this point and we then took the A38 to Tewksbury in very heavy rain and traffic, but at least the bikes got a good wash and it was like riding in a warm shower. Riding through Tewksbury high street we followed a chap on a commuter bike who tried to squeeze between a car and the pavement only to fall off with a clatter, another rider (not one of us) stopped to see if he was ok but he got up and appeared fine. From this point it was a steady ride home upwards and northwards, Alan left us at Crowle and Euge at Timberhonger lane. The legs were starting to grumble at the 100 mile mark and the last bit of steady climbing to Brum making it an effort (especially on a full steel tourer and carrying a pannier). After Catshill,Ben split to go over Beacon Hill leaving the two Si’s. I arrived home at 19:00, starving hungry, but as usual I had to load my rides up to Strava first.

It was a fantastic weekend, very sociable with lots of laughs and banter. We all took turns 'on the front' to ease the load, it makes a bit difference over that distance. For me, it was quite a challenge which I thoroughly enjoyed, my average speed being 13.4 mph out and 13.6 back; that is fairly consistent! Thanks to all, it was great fun, I hope I’ve captured the essence of the rides and something to be remembered.
Si Walker