Club runs for the weekend of 27th June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs for the weekend of 27th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Jun 2021 09:30

Fabulous weekend for the Beacon randonneurs, with a never-to-be-forgotten 400kms ride out to Stwlan Dam in North Wales. Eight riders were out on that, but as we didn't get home and into bed until after 2am, we unfortunately missed the Summer Solstice ride to the Swan at Chaddesley Corbett. I heard that was a great afternoon of Bathams beer and cheese and onion sandwiches which don't sound bad at all.

So we roll on...the Tuesday night bash is proving very popular so sign up to that if you're around, but make sure you sign up to a ride that suits your pace. This coming Sunday sees not one, but two 100-mile C-rides... but more rides are wanted this week as it's now high summer, so let's get some A-rides and B-rides please...be good if you haven't led for ages, this is a call for you to get your bottom into gear and volunteer this week please. Don't rely on the usual suspects to step forward.

That reminds me, we are instigating a new volunteer culture at Beacon as it tends to be the same faces that volunteer for everything, even though we have nearly 200 members, so as of 2022 we hope to organise 6 audaxes, and me and Philip Whiteman have agreed that Beacon members who ride them but never volunteer are now expected to volunteer to help out on at least one of these audaxes, and no one will be allowed to ride them all without volunteering to help out on another. We may also roll out this approach on time trials, but wait and see on that. :D :D

Anyway, that's all good and will help out those who volunteer a lot...enjoy your riding this week...only two weeks to the Weston run, if you haven't signed up for that yet, see the separate threads...there are two rides going out, one there-and-back in a day and the other with an overnight stay, so something for everyone.

Keep happy...normal rules apply on club runs, limit of 8 for an inside cafe stop ride, otherwise 12.

Simon Woodward

Re: Club runs for the weekend of 27th June

Post by Simon Woodward » 21 Jun 2021 11:29

Phil,
Did you mean as of 2022?
It's great news that we'll be having 6 Audaxes and the plan to encourage the regulars to volunteer for at least one event sounds excellent.

Philip Whiteman

Re: Club runs for the weekend of 27th June

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Jun 2021 12:30

WorcsPhil wrote:
21 Jun 2021 09:30
That reminds me, we are instigating a new volunteer culture at Beacon as it tends to be the same faces that volunteer for everything, even though we have nearly 200 members, so as of 2022 we hope to organise 6 audaxes, and me and Philip Whiteman have agreed that Beacon members who ride them but never volunteer are now expected to volunteer to help out on at least one of these audaxes, and no one will be allowed to ride them all without volunteering to help out on another. We may also roll out this approach on time trials, but wait and see on that. :D :D

Just a quick note, Phil Richards has already offered to volunteer at the Autumn Audax on 2nd October even though he organises Sunrise and Snowdrop Express and is club chairperson. Si Walker, a more infrequent audaxer but is another 'usual suspect' volunteer is also supporting the event. Usual suspects, Neil, Laurence and Dave Cox, all regular volunteers, are also helping out at the Kidderminster Killer.

Eligibility to enter a Beacon audax....
If you are a regular audaxer, for example, six or more rides in the previous twelve months, you will not be allowed to ride one of my audaxes as these will prioritised for non Beacon members or Beacon audax newcomers. If a regular rider does volunteer at an event, they will be entitled to enter others during that year.

Helper's Rides.
All is not lost if you volunteer at an audax. Volunteers can undertake a 'helper's ride' within seven days of the main event as per AUK regulations. At least this approach allows you to choose the weather!

Continued apathy to volunteering and discontinuation of club events
If the current situation continues of having to rely on the 'usual suspects' then I will most likely consider closing the events altogether or approaching another club to support the audaxes. Volunteers are not required for the x-rated events.

Are you available on 2nd October?
It would be great to see volunteers helping out on 2nd October. A bottle of beer will available for your delectation. I will be posting a request for help with details on positions to filled during early August. Please keep your diaries clear.
Simon Woodward wrote:
21 Jun 2021 11:29
Did you mean as of 2022?
It's great news that we'll be having 6 Audaxes and the plan to encourage the regulars to volunteer for at least one event sounds excellent.
Many thanks, Simon. I will be in touch next year about supporting either the KK or autumn audax in 2022.