Anyone done any sportives this year?

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

George

Anyone done any sportives this year?

Post by George » 09 Oct 2021 17:53

If any club member has ridden any sportives this year (or if you know of anyone that has), please let me know.

Ed Moss

Re: Anyone done any sportives this year?

Post by Ed Moss » 12 Oct 2021 17:02

I rode the Mad March hare in May https://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/2JI/?p=1
Finished I think around 15th.

George

Post by George » 14 Oct 2021 10:33

Thanks, Ed. We now have an interesting situation. I've had only two responses, and they both relate to the same event. Unless someone else comes forward with a stronger claim, picking a winner of this year's Sportive Trophy may be difficult, since the rule is that it goes to:

"The member who rides (in Beacon kit) the greatest distance in sportive events during the twelve-month period ending 30 September"

So your placing doesn't seem to make any difference, but what you were wearing does. Can you shed any light on your attire, Ed?

PS: the Committee is committed to reviewing this trophy for next year, but I'm not a big believer in retrospective rule changes.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 15 Oct 2021 15:44

Ouch..Impossible decision...Yes, wore my Beacon top and shorts, with matching red/green stripe socks if you are after a tiebreaker ;-)
https://buy.mysportphotos.co.uk/?Action ... are%202021

George

Post by George » 17 Oct 2021 10:46

Ed Moss wrote:
15 Oct 2021 15:44
Ouch..Impossible decision...Yes, wore my Beacon top and shorts, with matching red/green stripe socks if you are after a tiebreaker ;-)
https://buy.mysportphotos.co.uk/?Action ... are%202021
Ed, when I asked the question, I was indeed after a tie-breaker. However, it turned out that I was mistaken in thinking that a tie-breaker was needed. I was thinking that you had both ridden the same event and therefore covered the same distance (distance being what the rules say is decisive, not placings). However, in fact, you rode the Mad March Hare, but Jason rode the Mad Summer Hare, which is longer. So, unless someone tells me very soon that I've missed something, he gets it, I'm afraid.

E1

Post by E1 » 25 Oct 2021 09:51

Hi George
I completed the Gran Fondo route in the Dragon Ride this year (26th Sept 2021). 130miles and 12000ft elevation - hardest ride I have ever done but have stupidly signed up for next year! Beacon top on full display!

https://www.awoladventure.com/events/hu ... umber/3038

Ewan

George

Post by George » 26 Oct 2021 09:16

E1 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 09:51
Hi George
I completed the Gran Fondo route in the Dragon Ride this year (26th Sept 2021). 130miles and 12000ft elevation - hardest ride I have ever done but have stupidly signed up for next year! Beacon top on full display!

https://www.awoladventure.com/events/hu ... umber/3038

Ewan
Hello, Ewan, and thanks for the info. Congratulations on an impressive ride.

Unfortunately, your post exposes an embarrassing communications failure on my part. Normally, a formal notice would go up inviting claims for the club's sportive trophy and giving full details of the claim process. I didn't do that this year, because I understood from informal contacts that no one had been active on the sportive scene. When I started this thread, I was therefore intending simply to confirm that that was the case. When it became apparent that one or two people had ridden sportives this year, I should have put up a proper notice, but I didn't. In hindsight, that was clearly a mistake on my part. If I had put up a proper notice, it would have included the fact that the claims window closed on the 19th, when the Dinner Committee began contacting people to tell them that they had won trophies.

I feel deeply uncomfortable about telling you that your 'claim' is ineligible on the grounds of a rule whose existence I had not told you about. However, the alternative is to retrospectively re-write the rule that I failed to communicate, and also tell someone else that the win we confirmed last week was a mistake. On balance, that seems to me even less fair.

What I would therefore like to is suggest that this year we award you a special achievement medal, presentable at the Dinner at same time as the sportive trophy (if you choose to come). Next year, the Club Committee is already intending to review the rules for the sportive trophy, because there has been so little interest in it for the last few years. If I don't get sacked at the AGM following this debacle, I will ensure that the revised rules (including claims process) are posted on here at the start of the season, so that everyone is aware of them. I will also talk to our Comms Officer about having all our trophy rules permanently accessible on the website. In the meantime, I can only offer my sincere apologies for the mess created by my communications failure.