Beacon RCC's 'MONTGOMERY MADNESS' 200km permanent audax

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Andy Terry, Kermit

Philip Whiteman

Beacon RCC's 'MONTGOMERY MADNESS' 200km permanent audax

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Feb 2010 09:39

The Beacon now has a third audax in its armoury. The Montgomery Madness is a 200km 'permanent' audax can be ridden on any date of your choosing once you have received your Brevet and route card. All you need do is to enter in advance, ride the route and collect your evidence of passage (receipts, etc).

The route is hilly and picturesque. Aside from crossing several grand open panaromas such as Stiperstones, The Long Mynd, Stanford Bank and Mortimers Forest, it also passes through delightful Georgian towns.

Route:

- Bewdley
- Bromyard
- Ludlow
- Knighton
- Montgomery
- Bridgnorth
- Bewdley

For full details on the route and to enter online: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/perms/index.html

Climbing: 3,450m
Audax Altitude Award points: 3.5

Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 08 Mar 2010 19:59, edited 3 times in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Feb 2010 10:08

BLOODY HELL!

I have received my first entry within ten minutes of posting details of the event!

Mattoid

Post by Mattoid » 08 Feb 2010 10:14

Nice picture. Shame about the profile :shock: .

Well, i have previously stated interest, so i will stick to my guns. May attempt in July.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 08 Feb 2010 15:03

If I started from Northfield - that would make a good three day tour. Are there any time limits ? because I might do it in the Summer

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Feb 2010 23:15

David Cole wrote:If I started from Northfield - that would make a good three day tour. Are there any time limits ? because I might do it in the Summer

Dave
I am afraid that there is a time limit of 14 hours. However, you are more than welcome to use the route card for navigation purposes.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 08 Apr 2010 09:28

Phil, In view of Danial's recent announcement, will you be accepting GPX track logs as evidence?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Apr 2010 09:43

Andy Terry wrote:Phil, In view of Danial's recent announcement, will you be accepting GPX track logs as evidence?
Personally I would be happy to but the GPX track logs only applies to DIY perms such as the Mesh. Danial is piloting these in his capacity as DIY sec, unfortunately, perms are dealt with by somebody else entirely.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Apr 2010 20:50

9h10m. Done today.

I have to say that the climb out Priests Weston up White Grit bank is utterly dreadful. 17% for 1.5km and at two thirds into the route. :cry: Had to zig-zag in order to make it to the top. It made the rest seem easy.

The Castle Tea Room in Monty does huge slices of cake. At least 10cm on the outer face. Well worth a visit.

Now I cannot quite remember who it was that promised to enter once I had completed the route (Andy or Steve come to mind), I look forward to receiving your entry.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 09 Apr 2010 20:57

You really know how to sell something don't you? ;-)

That information is pretty useless without knowing how many hours you spent in cafes. I need to multiply your riding time by a generous factor and your cafe time by an even more generous factor in order to work out whether it would be possible for someone like me to get round in daylight on midsummers day. :lol:
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 09 Apr 2010 21:07

CakeStop wrote:I need to multiply your riding time by a generous factor and your cafe time by an even more generous factor in order to work out whether it would be possible for someone like me to get round in daylight on midsummers day. :lol:
You'll be too tired to do it just two days after the Cotswold Expedition, anyway, Steve.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Apr 2010 22:10

CakeStop wrote:You really know how to sell something don't you? ;-)

That information is pretty useless without knowing how many hours you spent in cafes. I need to multiply your riding time by a generous factor and your cafe time by an even more generous factor in order to work out whether it would be possible for someone like me to get round in daylight on midsummers day. :lol:
Probably spent about 45mins in the cafe at Montygomery. But anyone riding the event does have a max of just over 14hours to complete the ride. On the cake front, the route peppared with tea rooms and cake outlets.

Cake outlets at:

Bromyard (3)
Tenbury (2)
Ludlow (countlesss)
Brampton Bryan (2)
Bucknell
Knighton (2)
Clun (2)
Monty (2)
The Bog
Church Stretton (3)
Bridgnorth (countless)

That is a lot of cake to eat within 14 hours.

More seriously though, I would not attempt this route until you have gauged your fitness in relation to a non-AAA route such as the Cotswolds. The hills are fairly tough and slow going. My average was not particularly high in comparison with a non-AAA ride.

Probably early July would be a good bet for light. If you leave at 7pm that would mean a 9pm return just before it gets dark. Lights may be advisable.

I think I would suggest giving it a go. If by the time you reach Monty and it really does feel to difficult, Welshpool and its train station is only down the road. Alternatively, Church Stretton to Kiddie via Hereford by train. But making such a suggestion as this can be a too easy option as I once discovered last year.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 10 Apr 2010 14:02

Steve and others. If anyone fancies a B run attempt in the summer planned out like an assualt on Everest with back up lights then I'd be up for it.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 10 Apr 2010 14:39

I've entered and I'm targeting Saturday 3rd July.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 11 Apr 2010 20:55

Sounds like a good plan Dave, a bit of company would lessen the ordeal although it could also reduce options to pick a nice day at short notice. Given the way I'm struggling at the moment I'm not sure I should have too many ambitions for this year but I'm trying to build myself back up gently and if I can manage to do a normal 200 comfortably by June I might be tempted to have a go.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Apr 2010 09:58

You should both be fine. I would estimate adding two hours onto your typical completion time for a non-AAA 200km audax.

If it gives you any confidence, my latest rider was a 60 year old woman who completed the event with half an hour to spare. Furthermore, she succeeded in her attempt on that very wet and windy Good Friday, having to resort to a walking descent down The Burway because of the terrible weather. She also experienced gusty sleet and and snow showers whilst crossing the hills between Knighton and Clun. If you pick a good day, I really don't think you will have any difficulties providing you sensibly pace yourself.

Andy, I have placed the materials in the post today.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Apr 2010 10:04

You should both be fine. I would estimate adding two hours onto your typical completion time for a non-AAA 200km audax.

If it gives you any confidence, my latest rider was a 60 year old woman who completed the event with half an hour to spare. Furthermore, she succeeded in her attempt on that very wet and windy Good Friday, having to resort to a walking descent down The Burway because of the terrible weather. She also experienced gusty sleet and and snow showers whilst crossing the hills between Knighton and Clun. If you pick a good day, I really don't think you will have any difficulties providing you sensibly pace yourself.

Andy, I have placed the materials in the post today.

cm59

Post by cm59 » 19 Apr 2010 16:43

I'm thinking of giving this a go sometime around the beginning of august if anyone fancies joining me?
Phil- Am I better off applying through paypal or sorting it out on a club run?
Whats easier for you?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Apr 2010 17:08

cm59 wrote:I'm thinking of giving this a go sometime around the beginning of august if anyone fancies joining me?
Phil- Am I better off applying through paypal or sorting it out on a club run?
Whats easier for you?
You still need to go via Paypal (I am not likely to around on many club runs anyway). As for co-riders, I know that Richard Greer (Bagbear) and Trevor Richards may possibly be interested. Try PMing Richard.

cm59

Post by cm59 » 19 Apr 2010 17:10

Ok will do cheers Phil

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 May 2010 08:34

If anyone is planning upon riding the Montgomery Madness before the end of June, please note that over the next two weeks I am on holiday and therefore unable to issue Brevet Cards.

Bagbear

Post by Bagbear » 31 May 2010 21:22

Myself, Trevor Richards and Mark Carter did the Montgomery Madness yesterday.

Very enjoyable ride - weather was dry all day although the wind for the first 75 miles was very annoying!

The controls were easy to complete with either shops / cafes or ATM's

Quite a number of tasty hills - White Grit is probably the most memorable 17% for too long!!

Highly recommended but make sure you start early!

Phil, my receipts and card is in the post. Cheers

cm59

Post by cm59 » 28 Jul 2010 07:34

I've just sent off for my pack. I'm not too fussed when I do it as I'm free every day now in the run up to my start date. Pm me with a convenient date if anybody fancies joining me

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Jul 2010 08:29

Hope if goes well Chris. I have posted your pack this morning. Incidentally, I will be riding the route this coming Friday.

cm59

Post by cm59 » 28 Jul 2010 08:32

You riding it on your own Phil?
Where you starting from?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Jul 2010 08:43

Was riding by myself but you welcome to join me from Bewdley at 8am. But after looking at the weather forecast I am reconsidering!

cm59

Post by cm59 » 28 Jul 2010 08:45

ill let you know if i decide to join you

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 28 Jul 2010 12:31

Phil,

I too would love to join you as I intend to have a crack at your course before I depart for Oz. But, Friday's forceast is looking grim, so will hold off for another day if it stays the same.

Barry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Jul 2010 16:23

I will probably hold off from deciding until Thursday evening. Should the weather turn horrible later in the day, I will ride Friday. Otherwise Saturday is a likely option but with a 7am start as I need to be back by late afternoon.

My number is 01562 731606 should you need to call.

cm59

Post by cm59 » 28 Jul 2010 19:07

I'm seriously considering giving it a go Friday now weather permitting. I've done a lot of training already this week so it may kill me
I need to find the cause of an annoying creak first though

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 28 Jul 2010 22:06

I need to find the cause of an annoying creak first though
You have my sympathy. I've been plagued by ticks, creaks and pops lately. Troubleshoot one and another appears!

Good luck with the ride all.

cm59

Post by cm59 » 29 Jul 2010 06:21

Where abouts in bewdley doest it start? If I do decide to do it I'll have to ride to the start

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Jul 2010 07:57

Chris, hopefully you should receive the pack today that outlines the route. If not, I can e-mail over the route card and you will need to complete the Brevet Card retrospectively.

There is no actual physical pin-point start point. On a permament, you have to collect evidence of passage to prove that you have been through the control point/location. This may be a bank ATM or shop receipt, etc, so long as the evidence indicates the time and location. In Bewdley there are a number of shops but the easiest to use is the HSBC Bank by the church in the centre of the town. There are banks in all towns except Montgomery where the local Spar provides a useful alternative. Remember to collect a receipt when you return to Bewdley as well!

Controls are:

BEWDLEY
BROMYARD
LUDLOW
KNIGHTON
MONTGOMERY
BRIDGNORTH
BEWDLEY

cm59

Post by cm59 » 29 Jul 2010 11:12

Cheers Phil, im afraid i may have to bail on it this time. With the amount of running and other activities ive been doing this week i doubt id be able to keep up.
Im going to do it when im having a break from running and when theres some decent weather forecasted
Thanks for the invite though, good luck if you do decide to ride

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Jul 2010 11:49

Out of interest, for anyone who needs to drive to Bewdley, what would be the best place to park up for the day? My limited recollection of Bewdley is that parking is oriented to short term visitors / tourists, at least near the town centre. Is there somewhere just outside Bewdley that's suitable?

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 29 Jul 2010 12:29

Short Stay – Load Street
Medium Stay – Dog Lane
Long Stay – Gardners Meadow

from http://www.bewdley.org.uk/getting-around/

Garden Meadow is here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=37 ... &ay=274962

dicvic

Post by dicvic » 29 Jul 2010 20:04

Steve
There is a car park just before the start of the Bewdley by-pass on the right just before the island.
Have used this a number of times it was free BUT there might be a pay machine now will have to check next time in passing!
Richard

slogfester

LIVE!

Post by slogfester » 29 Jul 2010 20:56

I will be joining Phil for a 0800 kickoff from Bewdley tomorrow.

You can track our progress LIVE on my website here:

www.gps-sport.net/users/Slogfester
- scroll down to the box 'Where in the world is Slogfester'
- real time data can be seen by clicking 'show full screen' (or view in Google Earth)
- I will set data transmission every 5 min (mobile network access permitting)

This should prove I did it ;) But if the icon suddenly travels south very fast from Church Stretton its because I have bailed and caught the train :oops:

Words of encouragement (or otherwise!) welcomed via my SMS to my mobile 07823 771701 or Phil's (I'm sure many of you have his number)

Barry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Aug 2010 12:00

And here are Slogfester's stats, pictures and videos for the day:

http://www.gps-sport.net/trainings/Mont ... ess_355459

And just to show what Steve Smith missed:

or for hill lovers

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Sep 2010 18:09

Now I have seen it all. I received a completed Brevet Card today in an envelope addressed to Mr M Madness. It took me a little while to realise that the sender confused my name with the name of our audax.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Sep 2010 18:56

Philip Whiteman wrote:......addressed to Mr M Madness. It took me a little while to realise that the sender confused my name with the name of our audax.
Or had they........................... :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 08 Sep 2010 21:48

Where's your sense of humour Monty?

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 10 Sep 2010 11:56

At least you didn't get one addressed to "The Kiddie Killer" :shock:
Graham

cm59

Post by cm59 » 29 Mar 2011 09:16

I did consider giving this a go today but with the lack of miles in my legs I decided it was a very bad idea. Anybody fancy giving it a go end of April sort of time?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 Jul 2011 20:07

At the last minute, I decided to ride the MM today.

It does not get any easier.

The descent down The Burway is always hair raising adventure. Today I was stuck behind some plank driving down the hill at 10mph, probably fearful that he would swerve off the road and descend the 200ft down into Cardin Mill Valley. The consequent heavy breaking generated hot rims and unwanted blow-out. Thankfully, it was at a dead slow speed.

For any MM riders, I can firmly recommend the Ivy Cafe in Montgomery. The owner is a keen cyclist and knows what cyclist's love to eat. Steve would be impressed by the cake portions.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 30 Jul 2011 20:32

Done. :)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jul 2011 16:14

Andy Terry wrote:Done. :)
Congratulations, Andy. Send me your Brevet with receipts and I shall foward it onto John Ward for validation (no need to enclose an SAE, you've paid for that in the fee).

Other than myself, you are the first person to have ridden the route this year. I have received plenty of entries but no completions as to date.

What were the worst and best moments?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 31 Jul 2011 17:44

Philip Whiteman wrote:What were the worst and best moments?
I was cursing the choice of A road from Knighton to Clun, but the descent into Clun makes it worth it. Also, the descent just before Montgomery where you go from England to Wales and back to England again in the space of about 6 km. Oh, and the descent from the Stiperstones - no traffic around when I did it. Bromyard to Tenbury - there must be a better way? Last leg from Church Stretton is not very inspiring but by that stage I just wanted to finish.

The stats: 210km at 20.5 km/h with 3790m of ascent.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Aug 2011 11:28

One of my Monty Madness riders has published a great blog of the event, dated 6th August

Are you up to it?

http://www.challengemenace.blogspot.com/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Nov 2011 21:15

Audaxing the Monty Madness in November is a slightly odd decision but I rode it nonetheless. The day started off riding in and out of inversions but once the fog had burnt off, it became gloriously sunny. Later on I made and Ascent onto the Long Mynd at dusk followed by two and half hours riding in the pitch black with only my two Exodus lamps to show the way - it was sublime. Even so, the orange glow from Bewdley, the finish point, was a welcome sight.

Today's ride was 5 out of 12 on my third attempt for the RRTY (Randonee Round The Year) award. It'll probably snow again for the remainder of the winter, again :cry:

Feeling utterly knackered, dehydrated and hungering for yet more carb loaded food.

Clive

Post by Clive » 30 Aug 2012 11:16

Finally did it, after enrolling a year ago.

Really great audax, following a superb route with some stunning scenery. Weather was on my side too, bright and Sunny but not to hot. A good days cycling in anyones book, albeit a tough one. If you're looking for an easy flat 200Km day - this ain't it

Controls all fine with plenty of cafés, shops ATM's etc. The Ivy café in Montgomery has recently changed hands, but is still friendly and accommodating. The home made cottage pie, apple and damson crumble with ice cream, and coffee and walnut cake are all highly recommended.

Route sheet clear and concise and route finding easy. Roads mainly good, although some of the lanes were muddy and slippery from recent rain and farm traffic.

The hardest section is from Knighton to Clun and up onto the Kerry ridgeway. I was on a mission to reach Montgomery for 1230 to join my sister for lunch. I underestimated it and with hindsight I should have refuelled and topped up water bottles in Knighton. The climb up Weston bank also has a sting in the tail, a long slow climb with a final short sharp steep section.

The easiest section is ---- umm, there isn't one.

Most enjoyable parts were the first leg from Bewdley to Bromyard setting out at 0700 enjoying quiet roads and watching the early morning mist lifting in the sun alone with just the local wildlife. Then the section crossing the Long Mynd, lots of climbing and just a great place to be. The Burway was fun, fast and having to dodge cars that just stop anywhere for occupants to take photos. First time I have ever had the smell of burning brake blocks.

Low points were a slow **flat** just after Montgomery, and having forgotten to pack tyre levers I had to pump up 3 or 4 times and limp into a cycle shop in Church Stretton for a new tube to be fitted. Then, the last leg back to Bewdley, just cream crackered and wanted to get back. Also, discovering Flowerdews cake in Bromyard is closed on Tuesdays

I had considered starting in Montgomery, but Knighton to the Kerry ridgeway near the end would be a suicide mission!

Would be nice to do it in 1-2 months time armed with camera, when all the autumn colours are out.

Vital statistics:

Total time 12 hrs 34 min
Cycle time 9 hrs 31 min
Ascent 3800 meters
Distance 211.59 km
Average speed overall 16.8 km/h
Average speed cycling 22.2 km/h
Last edited by Clive on 30 Aug 2012 15:17, edited 3 times in total.