Test Ride for Beacon's Kidderminster Killer 2012?

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Test Ride for Beacon's Kidderminster Killer 2012?

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Jul 2011 10:33

Would you be interested in test riding the 200km Kidderminster Killer Route, either independantly or as part of a small group?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/504438

For those not in the know, the Kiddie Killer is a thirty year old audax. As from next year, the Beacon will be taking over the organisation of this event. The change will also herald the introduction of some new changes, including a new route, start/finish and event date.

The original route followed steep, winding and narrow lanes. However, I feel that this has become deterent to riders and needs some revision to make it 'easier' but retain the same amount of scenary and overall ascent.

It would be useful to gain views from potential testers to this route:

- Is it attractive?
- Is it a challenge?
- Would you ride it as an audax?
- Are there any changes that could improve the event?

I will probably ride it myself at a medium pace within the next few weeks and you would be welcome to join me. Alternatively, you are welcome to ride it by yourself?

PS. 31st July also sees the test ride for the 120km Clee to Heaven audax
in the form of an extended club run.

dweben

Post by dweben » 08 Jul 2011 23:15

I'd be up for that ride. Prefer as a group.

Looking at the route there's something a little odd at point 42-44. Is it a cafe stop?? Having just done a MTB event in Church Stretton I can vouch for some of the cheeky hills over that way! I was even in Clee Hill and Ludlow a couple weeks ago too. Riding up to the radar station?!?

I couldn't do it on the 30/31 July as I'll be skipping up Scafell, but any other weekend is fine currently.

Paul

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 09 Jul 2011 13:44

Assuming I can regain some mileage in to my legs, I'd be up for it Phil.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Jul 2011 11:33

Paul, Barry and any one else.

This is the suggested route.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ki ... raft-Route

How about Saturday 23rd July, Starting from Belbroughton?

This may sound odd, but I will need to make a couple of cafe stops to check out the venues.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 13 Jul 2011 15:37

Sunday 24 July would be better for me. Or is it politically incorrect to suggest a Sunday? :shock:

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Jul 2011 16:12

slogfester wrote:Sunday 24 July would be better for me. Or is it politically incorrect to suggest a Sunday? :shock:
Unfortunately I have to work that Sunday.

Can either you do Wednesday, Thursday or Friday next week instead?

dweben

Post by dweben » 16 Jul 2011 18:27

Saturday (23rd) is ok for me, could do a weekday but need a bit of notice to get the time off work...

Would prefer saturday -- not an option for you Barry?

Paul

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Jul 2011 23:11

Graa can't view the route 'cos it's on that $%*£heap bikely website. :(

(why do people persist in using it???)

The ridewithgps one doesn't go anywhere near the clee hill picture on the other thread about this ride btw -- as it's mentioned as some sort of tempter.

Paul

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Jul 2011 09:55

Okay, 8am start from The Talbot, Belbroughton on Saturday. Cafe stops at Aston Scott, Montgomery and where ever there after.

Paul. If you would like a gpx file, I could send it to you by return of e-mail. P dot WHITEMAN at BHAM dot AC dot UK

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Jul 2011 13:03

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Jul 2011 16:01

Paul and I rode this yesterday (thanks, Paul). Paul had changed to a curious colour towards the end which indicated it had been a long ride. All I can say is that the new KK Route will be as challenging as ever.

THE EASY BIT

The outbound route to Acton Scott is undulating with only one long haul up and over Wenlock Edge.

CAKES

Acton Scott Farm would do Steve Smith proud. I shall get a picture of the counter next time I am there.

All I have to do now is lodge the new route with AUK.

dweben

Post by dweben » 24 Jul 2011 17:55

By curious colour he obviously means the fantastic tan I had developed over the day. The physios can again refer to me as The Tan!

Was a pretty tough ride and while I enjoyed the really steep bits at the start they weren't quite as much fun at the end. The climb out of Church Stretton was my fave. Was even nice to ride the road bike where I had been a month ago on the mountain bike.

Cheers dude! Paul

keith

Post by keith » 28 May 2012 21:34

Philip Whiteman wrote:Latest version

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=281331
Is this the definitive course Phil ?, Ian Taylor and myself are going to ride this on Thursday.

keith

Post by keith » 01 Jun 2012 00:29

Did a test run of this today superb route. some wheel spinning climbs. As already said needs to be treated with respect, but within the capabilities of a lot of A and B riders.The summit of Long Mynd in driving rain possibly the most fun one can have in lycra ,or am I just weird.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 Jun 2012 10:13

Glad you liked it. How long did it take to ride and where did you stop?

:D

For everyone else:

ENTER HERE:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/kille ... iller.html

IanT

Post by IanT » 01 Jun 2012 10:50

We pretty much followed the noted stops, which were excellent. In Montgomery we stopped at the Ivy Rooms cafe, which was first rate. The owner did mention that on 18th August it's also the Montgomery Carnival and there is also a large wedding, together this will make the town v busy and there wil be one or two road closures very early afternoon - thought it worth mentioning if you hadn't picked that intel up.

The route itself is superb. I found it very challenging in parts and it took longer than I anticpated. It was an 8.30am departure from Belbroughton and a 10.45pm arrival back. We did stop for 30-40 minutes at each stop and heavy legs on my part slowed the pace during the day. I clocked 158 miles for the day.

I salute you for a fantastic route. We agreed that you sir, are an evil audax genius!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Jun 2012 12:17

IanT wrote:It was an 8.30am departure from Belbroughton and a 10.45pm arrival back.
:shock:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 01 Jun 2012 13:51

keith wrote:The summit of Long Mynd in driving rain possibly the most fun one can have in lycra ,or am I just weird.
I've been up there twice on a bike and both times enjoyed driving sleet. I must try it in the summer sometime.....scuttles off to sign up for the Clee to Heaven instead.....
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 Jun 2012 15:06

AlanW wrote:
IanT wrote:It was an 8.30am departure from Belbroughton and a 10.45pm arrival back.
:shock:
That's quite a reasonable time for the KK. I would expect most arrivals to be back between 8 and 11pm. I have never completed the ride in less than 10 hours and I'm a fast audaxer. To my knowledge, the fastest ever time was completed by an 1st cat rider with a time of 8-45.

As Ian and Keith indicate, the KK needs to be treated respect but the ride is do'able by most A and B riders, The trick is not crash and burn. The first third of the route can fool riders into believing that the remainder will be the same thereafter. The Burway, 60km in, is the taster of what shall follow - ride that in a hurry at your peril!

Ian, thanks for the tips on Montgomery. I have decided to class that as an open control. Stickers will be sent to both cafes or riders can obtain a receipt from the Spar. I guess that if the local roads are temporarily closed, riders can push.