Training tips for Audaxes.

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Clive

Training tips for Audaxes.

Post by Clive » 25 Jul 2011 13:12

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to train in order to perform better in audaxes, and to be able to do the longer rides?

I cope well with 100 miles or so, got round a permanent yesterday which with the cycling to/from the start was 100 miles, got round in just less than 6 hours without needing any food, just plenty of fluid.

I find performance drops off dramatically and I am much slower at >100 miles, even if I eat or use energy bars/gels etc. Maybe it is just a case of doing more of it?

how do people train for 300, 400, 600Km audaxes?

Do people take a few days break from cycling or have rest periods between audaxes if doing them weekly?

Philip Whiteman

Re: Training tips for Audaxes.

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Jul 2011 13:22

Clive wrote:Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to train in order to perform better in audaxes, and to be able to do the longer rides?

I cope well with 100 miles or so, got round a permanent yesterday which with the cycling to/from the start was 100 miles, got round in just less than 6 hours without needing any food, just plenty of fluid.

I find performance drops off dramatically and I am much slower at >100 miles, even if I eat or use energy bars/gels etc. Maybe it is just a case of doing more of it?

how do people train for 300, 400, 600Km audaxes?

Do people take a few days break from cycling or have rest periods between audaxes if doing them weekly?
Hi Clive, I shall give it some thought and will drop you a line here.

Clive

Post by Clive » 25 Jul 2011 13:32

Thanks Philip, look forward to it.

I guess it will be case of getting out there and "getting some miles in to my legs" as some would say. (Although losing 1/2 a stone and cutting down on beer and blue cheese may help!)

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 25 Jul 2011 14:15

Clive wrote: I guess it will be case of getting out there and "getting some miles in to my legs" as some would say. (Although losing 1/2 a stone and cutting down on beer and blue cheese may help!)
I think that you have answered your own question to be honest Clive.

The bottom line is that there is simply no subsitute for having the miles in your legs.

As for rest days before hand, everyone is different so you really have to find out what is best for you by keeping a log of what you did and how you faired during the event.

But you also have to be focused, so I am convinced that it is also a state of mind.

For example, if you would have ever suggested to me riding over 110 miles every day for 8 days and including lots of climbing, then I would have said no way, but we all did on last years LEJoG.

Even now, I just don't know how the hell we all did it!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Clive

Post by Clive » 25 Jul 2011 14:34

AlanW wrote:
But you also have to be focused, so I am convinced that it is also a state of mind.
I would go along with that. With mountaineering adventures in the past I would go as far as saying that the challenge is usually 75% mental and 25% physical. If you get beaten psychologically, it's usually game over!

CakeStop

Re: Training tips for Audaxes.

Post by CakeStop » 25 Jul 2011 19:29

Clive wrote:I find performance drops off dramatically and I am much slower at >100 miles, even if I eat or use energy bars/gels etc. Maybe it is just a case of doing more of it?
What so much that it means you're struggling to finish in under the max time limit? If not, don't worry it's not a race. Personally I'd recommend pacing yourself, eating sensibly but not taking too much time at controls and snacking on whatever suits you in between.
Eat cake before you're hungry