The Silk Run - 100km - Saturday 2nd June 2012

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

AlanW

The Silk Run - 100km - Saturday 2nd June 2012

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2012 19:24

Great event this, starting in Tewkesbury and up Stanway then drop down Fish hill and loop back round again, via the outskirts of Worcester.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Jun 2012 17:48

Well it was raining when I left home to drive the start at Tewkesbury first thing this morning, and it got considerably worse as I passed Droitwich on the M5 to the point that I nearly turned around and returned home.

However, I decided to at least drive to the start and see if the weather would improve, unbelievably it was bone dry in Tewkesbury and they had had no rain, so really glad that I had made the effort.

It was a bit cool at the start and as we climbed up Stanway and across the ridge to the top of Fish Hill we rode into very low cloud and drizzling rain. :cry:

A quick stop at the control at Rookery Barn cafe adjacent to Broadway Tower and off again, descending Fish Hill and into Broadway.

NOTE
Rookery Barn cafe has recently changed hands and the new owners have clearly thrown a huge amount of money at the place, sadly this has reflected on the prices. :cry:

After Broadway it was out towards Beckford and the next control at Silk Farm. This is a lovely little cafe tucked away and is very reasonably priced.

From here to the third and final control at Norton Garden Centre just South of Worcester, then return via the lanes to Tewkesbury.

The event was better attended than in previous years, but I still cannot understand why more people don't enter it, as its a great Saturday morning ride. :?:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Jun 2012 18:07

Here is the actual route if anyone would like to retrace it at some point - HERE