Hatching a cunning 300 plan

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Hatching a cunning 300 plan

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 May 2012 11:30

Having missed The Elenith due to illness this year, I now have a cunning plan as a substitite. The ride is a DIY audax be ridden during the Jubilee weekend. Is anyone interested?

Start: Tavistock 7am
Dartmoor
Control: Exeter
Taunton
The Cheddar Way
Control: Clevedon
Portbury
Thornbury
A38 (when it is quiet)
Upton and lanes
Finish: Belbroughton/Bromsgrove 10-11pm

I have e-mailed the troublesome trio: Greer, Richards and Carter.

A train journey will be required the day before, a short ride out of Plymouth and overnight stay.

dweben

Post by dweben » 05 May 2012 10:50

Hahahahaha 300km on a bike, it'll never happen...

You'll ladder your tights, get 1 more **flat** than you have innertubes, your chainstay will snap, your cassette will fall off... perhaps your gears will go mad... and you'll leave your credit card behind in the first cafe.

I'd come... but I don't think there were anymore shades of horrible colour after the one I got to in the kiddy killer. :P

Paul

CakeStop

Re: Hatching a cunning 300 plan

Post by CakeStop » 05 May 2012 15:49

Philip Whiteman wrote:A train journey will be required the day before, a short ride out of Plymouth and overnight stay.
Not really in the spirit of audax - can't you ride to the start, take a quick kip in a bus shelter and then ride back :roll:
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 May 2012 20:02

I have received a couple on enquiries. Here are the details:

13.13 train to Plymouth on 3/6/12 at £40 single. (plenty of tickets available as of today). Evening meal in hotel or nearby

Millstones Hotel at £58ppn

Route on Jubilee Bank Holiday:

PLYMOUTH (NORTH). leave at 9am
Dartmoor
EXETER
CHEDDAR
Mendips
TEWKESBURY
BROMSGROVE. ETA 10pm

Until Tewkesbury, nearly all of the route is along quiet A & B roads. The only busy section is Taunton to Bridgwater. Just to satisfy Steve's spirit of audaxes and horrible venues, the later feed stops are 24 hour service stations up the A38.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 May 2012 07:42

Philip Whiteman wrote:I have received a couple on enquiries. Here are the details:

13.13 train to Plymouth on 3/6/12 at £40 single. (plenty of tickets available as of today). Evening meal in hotel or nearby

Millstones Hotel at £58ppn

Route on Jubilee Bank Holiday:

PLYMOUTH (NORTH). leave at 9am
Dartmoor
EXETER
CHEDDAR
Mendips
TEWKESBURY
BROMSGROVE. ETA 10pm

Until Tewkesbury, nearly all of the route is along quiet A & B roads. The only busy section is Taunton to Bridgwater. Just to satisfy Steve's spirit of audaxes and horrible venues, the later feed stops are 24 hour service stations up the A38.
Each to their own I guess, but I would rather stay at home and squeeze my fingers in a vice.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 13 May 2012 16:22

The train journey would be alright.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 13 May 2012 18:08

And the hotel does quite well on tripadvisor

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 May 2012 10:35

[quote="AlanW"
Each to their own I guess, but I would rather stay at home and squeeze my fingers in a vice. [/quote]

Some lateral thinking is required here. Alan, you have complained that the long sleeve jersey arms are too long. So, whilst your fingers are held by the vice, try to stretch as hard as possible until your arms fit into the jersey.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2012 11:09

Philip Whiteman wrote:Alan, you have complained that the long sleeve jersey arms are too long.
To be fair, it wasn't really a complaint, more of a question and it was only the winter top that I questioned. And I think that it is down to the stretchy nature of the material that made it appear worse then it was. :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"