Beacon's Clee and Kidder Killer Audaxes

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Beacon's Clee and Kidder Killer Audaxes

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Jun 2012 13:01

......AND NOW IT IS TIME TO ENTER YOUR NEXT BEACON EVENT

WITH ADDED CAKE

FROM CLEE TO HEAVEN IS NOW FULL WITH ONLY A FEW SPACES LEFT ON THE KIDDER KILLER

Just as you thought it was all over, just after George's Cotswold events, now it is time to sign up for the next new, cool, trendy and sexy Beacon cycle event, starting from nearby Belbroughton.

The Kidderminster Killer - 215km

- An epic ride to Mid-Wales and back with 3,750m of climbing through Salop and The Marches.
- Stunning views are the reward for the day's hard effort.
- You may with trepidation but you will finish with elation and a knowledge that if you can ride The Kidderminster Killer you can ride anything .

From Clee to Heaven- 120km

- A venture into deepest rural Shropshire along a figure of 8 route. Strangely, the Clee Hills are rarely visited by any cycling event, so you will be in for a treat.
- The route is hilly with 2,000m of climbing but riders be rewarded but the idyllic countryside of South Shropshire and its blue hills. The route was test ridden last year by several Beacon Members who gave positive feedback.

- Cake
- Excellent cafe controls located at conveniently situated locations
- Cake
- GPS Downloads
- Cake
- New innovative route card sheets
- Cake
- GHQ start and finish point located not too far from Birmingham
- Cake
- Entry on line

Details and entry at:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/killerclee/index.html
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 21 Aug 2012 13:17, edited 7 times in total.

George

Post by George » 25 Jun 2012 15:23

It sounds great, Phil, and I would certainly be there if it didn't clash with a family wedding (despite my suspicions about the precise meaning of "conveniently situated").

I recommended it to a few people yesterday, who seemed interested in giving it a try.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Jun 2012 21:29

Sounds like a win win proposition - I'm in!
Eat cake before you're hungry

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 26 Jun 2012 23:10

On recommendation from Keith, who said it was easy, I've entered the KK. It was worth it for the email acknowledgement from Philip! :lol:

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 04 Jul 2012 09:57

Phil, there's a couple of typos in the Housman verse on the From Clee to Heaven page (second and final lines). It should be:

From Clee to heaven the beacon burns,
The shires have seen it plain,
From north and south the sign returns
And beacons burn again.

On a more important note, any chance that the recipe that Steve identified as similar to the elusive Spetchley ginger cake could make the cake list? Recipe here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462 ... emon-icing.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Jul 2012 10:13

lc1981 wrote:On a more important note, any chance that the recipe that Steve identified as similar to the elusive Spetchley ginger cake could make the cake list? Recipe here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462 ... emon-icing.
I'm on the case!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 Jul 2012 16:18

Five extra places now available on the Clee Audax.

First come, first served before I shut the system down again.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jul 2012 16:44

Audax Helpers:

Clare Abiss - Cake Superintendent & cake donator. 14.00 - 18.00
George Barker - Car Park Marshal. 07.00ish - 09.00am
Bob & Pat Green - Cake Superintendent. 18.00 - /
John Hamilton (AUK Events Director) - Controller at Acton Scott. 10.12 - 12.37
Danny Mayho - Car Park Marshal. 07.00 - 09.00
Michelle McGurk - Coffee and tea provision. 07.00ish - 09.00am
Steve Smith - Web-stuff. Throughout the year.
Lisa Spurgeon - long suffering wife and GHQ controller
Lynne Yeates - Controller at Rays Farm. 10.40 - 11.56 / 12.36 - 15.18

Bacon sandwiches for early morning staff. Lisa and I will arrive between 06.45 and 07.00 to open up. The hall will close at 23.00.

Anyone wishing to bake a cake or two, please let me know. Costs will be reimbursed.

Many many thanks.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Aug 2012 15:37

WEATHER FORECAST

A cloudy start to Saturday, possibility of the odd light shower earlier in the day. Brighter later. Feeling rather warm and humid. 294 Kelvin (290 Kelvin on summits). Light SW wind.

NO EXCUSES THEN!!!!!

FOOD FORECAST

Fruit cake (courtesy of Lynne)
Lemon Drizzle (courtesy of Clare)
Mincemeat Cake
Lemon Scones and Curd
Rock Cakes
Chocolate and orange muffins
Stem Ginger Cake
Sandwiches
Bacon sandwiches (after 4pm)

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Aug 2012 19:00

How on earth am I going to manage to ride home?

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 17 Aug 2012 09:34

I'm planning to ride out to the start for the Clee audax, should be passing the Black Horse at 8:00-ish if anyone is going that way. Any company on the ride itself would be grand as well of course! Let's hope today's rain doesn't leave the lanes in too bad a way.
Graham

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 17 Aug 2012 10:24

Phil and I are planning to ride around together so your more than welcome to join us.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 17 Aug 2012 10:43

Thanks Neil, I'll look out for you at the HQ.
Graham

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 18 Aug 2012 19:56

Cheers, Phil, Lisa and everyone else for a well organised Audax - my first! Would have been a bit better if not for a **flat** and bike computer problems early on, but still enjoyed it and might even be daft enough to do it next year.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Aug 2012 20:42

Thanks to Philip, Lisa and all the other helpers. Great organisation, well thought out route, good balance of lanes and B roads. Lovely middle section, my first time round Titterstone Clee Hill - delightful.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Aug 2012 21:03

Thanks from me too - that was excellent.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 18 Aug 2012 22:46

Thanks Phil and all the helpers - well done Lynne staffing the Ray's Farm check-in. Great food and kitchen team at Belbroughton I wouldn't have got home without it. Beautifully crafted route Phil it will become a classic I am sure.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 18 Aug 2012 22:47

Thanks Philip and gang. Great route, surprisingly flat though :shock: . OK, so I'm lying - it was the hardest, longest ride I've ever done!

Really appreciate the hard work that went into the planning and organisation. The coffee, bacon and cakes were soooo welcome at the end, too!

Thanks to Gary, Chris and Sean for the company.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 18 Aug 2012 23:26

Thanks to Phil & all who helped organise & staff the audaxes. Thanks also to Keith, Ian & Steve who i rode around with & without who's company i would have lost the will to complete it.
What can i say about the route, by far the longest & hardest days cycling i've ever done by a huge margin, thankfully the weather was excellent.
Will i enter next years killer audax? definitely maybe.

smorty

A Grand Day Out

Post by smorty » 19 Aug 2012 11:28

Excellent day! Thanks to Martin, Ian and Keith for the company and help.
The organisation was superb! It was a long way to go for it, but I did enjoy the lemon drizzle cake :)
Steve

Andy Terry

Re: A Grand Day Out

Post by Andy Terry » 19 Aug 2012 17:46

smorty wrote:It was a long way to go for it, but I did enjoy the lemon drizzle cake :)
I'll tell Clare.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Aug 2012 19:34

I forgot to mention yesterday - I thought adding the Clee to Heaven alongside the KK was a stroke of brilliance.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 19 Aug 2012 20:18

CakeStop wrote:I forgot to mention yesterday - I thought adding the Clee to Heaven alongside the KK was a stroke of brilliance.
smorty wrote:It was a long way to go for it, but I did enjoy the lemon drizzle cake :)
Agreed on both counts!
Last edited by rdleaper on 20 Aug 2012 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 20 Aug 2012 09:38

I had a great day on the Clee to Heaven after nearly staying in bed! Thanks to Phil, and everyone at HQ and Rays Farm, and to a great group to ride round with. Definitely back next year.
Graham

KevF

Post by KevF » 20 Aug 2012 12:48

I'd just like to add my thanks for all the hard work that everyone involved put into the event. After doing a couple of sportives in the past Saturday's Audax knocked the socks off them in every respect! So a big thanks for making my first Audax a really enjoyable, if hard in places, day!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Aug 2012 12:54

Dear All,

I am overwhelmed with the response and would like to thank everyone for their feedback on the two events. However, it would be wrong to take the credit. It was fellow helpers and riders that allowed the event to happen.

I would like to thank the following:

- Michelle McGuirk, Debbie Deane, Clare Abiss, Bob and Carol Green for looking after food and drink needs.
- Lynne Yeates, Graham Kelly and John Hamilton (AUK) as controllers.
- George Barker and Jane Herrin for car park marshalling.
- Steve Smith as web-master.
- Lynne Yeates, Leslie Brown, Natalie Jewell and Clare Abiss for providing extra-cakes.
- Dave Pountney and Dan Howard (Kidderminster CTC) for help at closing down GHQ.
- Dave Pountney as my AUK mentor and the inspiration behind the Kidderminster Killer.
- Lisa Spurgeon. My long suffering wife and helper on the day.
- John Hamilton and Steve Snook of AudaxUK for approving the course and AAA profile respectively.

I would like to thank all riders for providing a real sense of camaraderie yesterday - an essential element for completing both of these challenging rides. Many of the riders were audax virgins and could easily be identified by the 'rabbit in the headlights' appearance at the beginning of the day. I sincerely hope that many of you will be back to ride further Beacon RCC and AUK events in the future.

Results:-

I have yet to process the results for AudaxUK but will do so in the next few days. The provisional results of the validated rides will be published on the AUK website during the coming days http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/. Once AUK have approved the validation then your cards will be returned. Many seasoned audaxers will know that the results are used for the varying forms of competitions such as Altitude Awards and the varying forms of distance awards. However, most will also know that audaxes are not races and riders are not ranked in order of completion.

Rides of Note:-

Top prize should go to Peter Johnson, one of the Derby Mercury gang. For many, the Kidderminster Killer was sufficient to finish them off but this was only part of Peter's day out having left Derby at 3am in order to ride the event before riding home again later that night, forming part of a 400km 'Extended Calendar Event' audax.

For most Beacon riders, these two events were 'in at the deep end'. For a few it was their first audax ever. Most may have ridden comparative distances but never on events with Altitude Award points. Most declared that the KK was the furthest they had ridden all year. So, to complete such endurance events is an achievement that is well deserved.
Even 'flat roads Alan Weaver' was overheard to say that he may have enjoyed the ride.

Robin Mainwaring (Cheltenham CC) returned off the KK at 17.38 whilst Phil Richards (ind) returned off the Clee at 14.35. The fastest ever completion on the old KK was in 8h45m by David Hatton in 2007!

Stats:

- The Kidderminster Killer: 67 entries, 61 starters, 58 finished, 1 incomplete Brevet Card, 3 timed out. No reported accidents. Bulk of returns between 20;00 and 21:45.
- From Clee to Heaven: 65 entries, 63 starters, 57 finished. 6 DNF (mainly due to mechanicals or by decision not undertake the furthest loop) No reported accidents. None timed-out. Bulk of returns between 15:15 and 16:45.

Future Events:

The next Beacon RCC Audax is scheduled for 16th February. The 123km Sunrise and Snowdrop Express are considerably flatter but can be challenging in February. Last year the event received 260 entries and was sold out by Christmas. So don't leave it too late for 2013. We have yet to update the webpage but details on this year's event can be found at: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/index.html

Will there be a repeat of this event?

Having taken the view, "let's see how it goes", the wonderful feedback has left me with no choice. The date is 17th August 2013

Further feedback?

Any feedback on how next year's event is welcome. Here are some thoughts:

- Steve Smith has suggested reducing the minimum speed for the Clee audax in order to avoid the closing time dash. I agree when taking into account some of the cafe delays experienced at Rays Farm.
- Reversing the direction of the 'Rays Farm - Rays Farm loop' next year.
- Diverting the KK route away from the very poorly surfaced Jays Lane.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 20 Aug 2012 20:53

Philip Whiteman wrote:Steve Smith has suggested reducing the minimum speed for the Clee audax in order to avoid the closing time dash. I agree when taking into account some of the cafe delays experienced at Rays Farm.
A quick random sample of events with 2 AAA points indicates that 12 or 12.5kph is typical, some go as low as 10kph, I spotted one that was 15kph.

I didn't experience any delays at Rays Farm (the queues had gone by the time I got there. My suggestion was more to allow a bit more time to enjoy the scenery in the middle section. I felt I needed to keep pushing on because I knew I wasn't going to find the last section easy and you always need to keep a bit of time in the bag. The couple of guys that finished behind me had a couple of flats and stopped to help someone else and they nearly ran out of time (although I'm sure you'd have made allowances).

I reckon another 30 minutes to get to Rays Farm second time would be plenty - the HQ will be open late for the KK anyway so whatever the knock on effect on the finish time will be of no consequence.

I could learn to ride a bit faster of course but even if I could manage this I think I'd still want to spend time to take scenery that I'm not familiar with.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Aug 2012 21:38

Some pictures from Alberto Contreras, a KK rider from London.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115244844 ... 6864472594

And from the Derby Mercury gang:

http://www.derbymercury.org.uk/forummen ... 0&start=22
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 21 Aug 2012 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 21 Aug 2012 09:58

Thanks to all the helpers. Was a grand day out.

One highlight for me was seeing six grown men cooing over a lovely little black kitten that greeted us on a narrow country lane near Romsley. Wish i'd taken a photo.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Aug 2012 12:34

Despite wandering dangerously around the road, it was still alive when I passed hours later. I didn't have time to stop nor the energy to bunny hop so I had to swerve around it.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 21 Aug 2012 12:44

Yes it was living rather dangerously.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 21 Aug 2012 22:02

CakeStop wrote:Despite wandering dangerously around the road, it was still alive when I passed hours later. I didn't have time to stop nor the energy to bunny hop so I had to swerve around it.
I saw two of them - there may have been more! As well as an early **flat** (which put me dead last, not that that really mattered), I also encountered a wandering sheep that thankfully was scared enough to try and run through the fence to get away from me (I get that a lot :roll: :wink: ), rather than getting in the way. All good fun!

George

Post by George » 22 Aug 2012 09:16

Seemed like a big success, Phil. Well done.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Aug 2012 08:17

Provisional Results of validated rides are now available from the Audax UK site. In total 61 riders that started on each of the two events.

From Clee to Heaven

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/th ... ide=12-415

Kidderminster Killer

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/th ... ide=12-390

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Aug 2012 12:49

A great blog report on the Clee audax, kindly posted by Lucy Buchanan-Parker.

http://machacasonwheels.blogspot.co.uk/ ... 100km.html

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Aug 2012 10:21

A blog on the KK has also been published:

http://machacasonwheels.blogspot.co.uk/ ... r-200.html