Winchcombe Falling Leaves 100 - Sunday 7th October 2012

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

AlanW

Winchcombe Falling Leaves 100 - Sunday 7th October 2012

Post by AlanW » 22 Aug 2012 19:32

Starting from Winchcombe, this is a great little Audax that I have ridden for more years than I care to recall. Fair amount of climbing for a short event at 1750m, but the scenery is really worth the effort, honestly.

More details and entry form - HERE

Route details - HERE But this is for reference only, don't down load it coz I think that there may be a couple of slight errors in it. :oops:

The bad news is that its the day after our first track session at Newport, but on the plus side at least you'll be warmed up. :wink: Needless to say, I've entered it. :D
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Aug 2012 10:39

Looks good Alan, unfortunately I will be in New England for the Fall this year but hope to get some riding in.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Aug 2012 10:55

Having heard you mention this event on various occasions, I have sent off an entry form. Better be good or else.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 24 Aug 2012 19:25

Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 25 Aug 2012 16:02

Philip Whiteman wrote:Having heard you mention this event on various occasions, I have sent off an entry form. Better be good or else.
You will enjoy it, trust me.

Tip, if the weather has been bad or it is raining on the day, avoid the wooded section at the end!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 29 Aug 2012 19:18

Does anybody reckon I could do this ?
Hopefully ill be a regular B run rider for the next month or two and then if ive been keeping up with my gym scheduled then hopefully ill trial an A run!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Aug 2012 20:09

Regular B (or indeed C) run riders would be capable of completing this. It would be worth thinking about what it is that makes you suffer on a ride. Is it the speed, the distance or the hills?

If (like me) your main problem is speed then that's not a problem for a 100km audax - just take it at your own speed and start at a speed that you can maintain for the whole ride. This event has a relaxed lower speed limit of 12.5mph (average including stops).

If you're comfortable with fairly hilly rides of 60-odd miles that's the other two things covered. 1750m climbing in 100km is not massively hilly but it's hillier than it is around here. So, you need to be comfortable with 100km rides round here not simply capable of 100km local rides.

Looking back through my records, before I did my first 100k audax I'd done two rides over 60 miles. That first audax was Redditch so not as hilly but it was 100 miles including the ride to/from Redditch. The following month I did a 100 mile solo ride and then the month after that I did the Coalport audax which was roughly equivalent to Winchcombe.

The other thing you need to think about is the requirement for self-sufficiency. You're bike needs to be well maintained and you need to be able to cope with anything that might go wrong. You need to be able to follow the routesheet (not difficult if you concentrate but take an A4 print of a map in case) and find your way round on your own if necessary. Oh yes, you'll need a pencil too.

Hope that helps.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Aug 2012 20:51

You should be fine if you ride at your own pace and don't get drawn into riding with others that are faster than you are. But rest assured that there will always be someone slower than you for what ever reason.

While it is not a particularly hilly event, it is very much up and down with a couple of longish climbs and can be very energy draining if riding at a high pace. The main thing is to enjoy it!!!

As Steve says, you do need to know exactly where you are at any given time and exactly where you need to be going just in case you do find yourself riding alone.

keith

Post by keith » 29 Aug 2012 22:04

CakeStop wrote: It would be worth thinking about what it is that makes you suffer on a ride. Is it the speed, the distance or the hills?

On the recent k Killer it was all three of these things plus the jokes

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 Aug 2012 08:44

Both Lisa and I have entered. Any tips on where the controls are and whether they are cake friendly?

For once, I shall ride this event at a dawdle though I may top and tail it as an Extended Calendar Event.

Clive

Post by Clive » 30 Aug 2012 09:05

I did this one last year, enjoyed it, and have registered again this year. The 3 controls, at Duntisbourne Abbots, Coln St Aldwyns and Great Rissington, are based in laybys where water top up is provided, and are cake free zones.

There are cafes and cake stops in both Bibury and Bourton on the water, but you'll need to fight the tourists out of the way.

Clive

Post by Clive » 30 Aug 2012 09:13

HAZBRO wrote:Does anybody reckon I could do this ?
Hopefully ill be a regular B run rider for the next month or two and then if ive been keeping up with my gym scheduled then hopefully ill trial an A run!
If you can go out and cycle 50-60 miles, you'll be fine. There are some hills and the route is generally up and down, but they are not to arduous. The toughest is the ascent of Belas Knap at the start I thought.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 30 Aug 2012 11:27

Clive wrote: The toughest is the ascent of Belas Knap at the start I thought.
It is quite tough not only because this climb is so soon after the start, but there is usually a large number of riders all together in one big group on a very narrow section of road.

As it gets steeper towards the summit, some of the less fit riders have a annoying tendancy to suddenly stop in the middle of the road and start walking. :x

This is really hazardous to others behind and I have witnessed a number of accidents over the years. Plus, as a result it will also cause a tailback, as you may also be forced to also stop. And once you have stopped it is very difficult to get going again.

So you either need to be on the front right from the start, or hang back a little and then let the main group ascend first.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Aug 2012 23:47

AlanW wrote:So you either need to be on the front right from the start
That's what I did knowing the hill from when it featured on the Cotswold Expedition, I made sure there weren't too many in front of me at the bottom, I think there were a few more in front of me by the top but at least nobody got in my way.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Oct 2012 09:29

Lightly overcast. Gentle SE breeze. 12 Celsius.

Should be pleasant. :) On this occasion, I will be riding at 'Lisa-pace' and enjoying the view.

Any suggestions on cake stops? Aside from the expensive and twee Bibury and Boughton-on-the-Water, I cannot find any sensible alternatives en-route.

Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 03 Oct 2012 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Oct 2012 10:48

Philip Whiteman wrote:Any suggestions on cake stops? Aside for expensive and twee Bibury and Boughton-on-the-Water, I cannot find any sensible alternatives en-route.
Sorry, I have never stopped but I may be interested if anyone else knows of any?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Oct 2012 10:44

Alan Weaver, Lisa and I rode this yesterday along with fellow message board member, Clive Ansell.

Great route although some of the lunatics were let out of the asylum and handed car keys for the day.

The Belas Knapp climb was far easier than I remember it although I would say that some of the follow climbs in the first quarter were more challenging.

I also noted a Sportive on the same day. The Santini Autumn Cotswold Classic were charging £30 for riding in very similar territory and not much greater value. £5 for this audax was money well spent.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Oct 2012 11:33

Indeed a very pleasant ride out on the bike, even if I rode the whole event on my own, its a long story! :cry:

I got back just before 1pm but went to the Scout hut thinking it was the finish as usual, but it wasnt! You should have seen the look on the old peeps faces that were sat in there when I burst in through the double doors with me brevet card raised high!! :oops: Apparently it was a coffee morning......doh!!

But as I didn't have a copy of the route details I didn't know where it had been relocated to, so I rode up and down the High Street several times looking for "somewhere" it might be? Then I saw several riders going out of Winchcombe back towards the Scout hut, thinking that maybe it was moved further up the road I chased after them. It was only when they all turned up Belas Knapp that I realised that they were on the Sportive, not the audax....double doh!!

So I turned round (again) and waited at the T junction where the audax route joined the main road and waited for someone to come along. Then I saw the control sign nailed on that entry entrance just down the road from the junction.

Finally signed in after spending 1/4hr riding up and down the High Street. :x You should see my .gpx file for the last 1/4hr of the ride!!

Did you ride the last section through the woods? I think that there must have been a sponsored dog emptying event on as it was full of dog walkers and ignorant ramblers. :x

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Oct 2012 13:05

AlanW wrote:Did you ride the last section through the woods? I think that there must have been a sponsored dog emptying event on as it was full of dog walkers and ignorant ramblers. :x
Everyone we met made an about turn and rejoined the main Guiting to Winchcombe Road. There comments when looking at 'road through the woods' was, "no way". This detour off the official route surprisingly resulted in us riding just short of 100km - something which is theoretically not possible when considering the AUK requirement for minimum distance between controls.

I would certainly ride this route again, possibly at eye-balls out pace.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Oct 2012 14:23

Philip Whiteman wrote: I would certainly ride this route again, possibly at eye-balls out pace.
Why....whats the point?

As a Audax man thats really in the spirit of Audaxing is it, why not just enter a road race?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Oct 2012 14:38

AlanW wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote: I would certainly ride this route again, possibly at eye-balls out pace.
Why....whats the point?

As a Audax man thats really in the spirit of Audaxing is it, why not just enter a road race?
Just as leg stretch and nothing more. I still get my points whether it is a 25kph or 14.3kph. As you will be aware, audaxers do not race, ....ever!

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 09 Oct 2012 11:00

Clive wrote:
HAZBRO wrote: The toughest is the ascent of Belas Knap at the start I thought.

In 1955, I came DOWN Belas Knap, every Saturday afternoon for five months, on my way home to Brum from RAF Compton Bassett in Wiltshire.

I did, of course have to go UP Belas Knap every Sunday afternoon for five months, making the return journey. 96 miles each way, got me quite fit, in a trundly sort of way
It is better to be interesting rather than exact