Televised Audax to be shown on Sunday

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Televised Audax to be shown on Sunday

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Nov 2012 12:36

Finally the Wait is over! The Snow Roads 300km Audax will be shown on 18 November at 1900 on BBC-2 Scotland. Plus SkyDigital 990; FreeSat & Virgin.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 19 Nov 2012 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Nov 2012 12:16

For anybody without access to Scottish TV, here's the iplayer link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... oad_Audax/
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Nov 2012 20:42

Dougie did brilliantly - the furthest he had ridden in a day before was 120 miles so bumping that up to 180 miles, with all that climbing thrown in for good measure, was quite an achievement for him. He did it in 18.5 hours and despite having problems with his chain, his derrailleur and his guts, he coped magnificently.

Most interesting was the general camaraderie amongst these enthusiasts. Audax is often described to me as a cycling event for middle-aged men with beards and rickety old bikes with mudguards and lights, and while there may be an element of truth yet the Snow Roads event is exactly the kind of event I would want to take part in, an event where people looked out for each other and actually helped each other complete the course.

This excellent broadcast is available for another week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... oad_Audax/

Incidentally, I have entered this event for 2013.

Kendo

Post by Kendo » 19 Nov 2012 21:25

Just watched it and I take my hat off to him, I did Glenshee and The Lecht last year during my leJog and I feel his pain !!!

At the Moment im only doing 100K Audaxes..hopefully I can build up to something like this for the summer !!!!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Nov 2012 21:43

I thought it was a very positive programme - a balanced portrayal of the variety of characters on the event and good coverage of the scenery and the cake stops. Possibly a little too much emphasis on the ordeal involved but riding a hilly 300 as a first audax on what looked like an inappropriately geared bike I suppose that's how it would feel. Might encourage some more sportive enthusiasts to give audax a try.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Nov 2012 09:10

Kendo wrote:Just watched it and I take my hat off to him, I did Glenshee and The Lecht last year during my leJog and I feel his pain !!!

Yes, and Dougie climbed up the hardest sides of The Lecht and Glenshee too! My legs hurt just thinking about them. However, at least most of the climbing is concentrated on four Alpine style drags rather than the lumpy stuff thrown at riders on most UK events.

Those in-the-know claim that he hadn't even brought lights with him and had to buy a set on his way round. What they didn't show was him throwing up half way round - up to that point all he had had food wise was energy gels. Strange thing is that he hasn't entered any events so far this season

Providing the weather is good, these mountain crossings are sublime. I will be reducing the number of events ridden next year but I am already booked onto the 2013 Snow Roads.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Nov 2012 10:57

Philip Whiteman wrote: ....but I am already booked into the 2013 Sanity Check Clinic.
Fixed it for you. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 22 Nov 2012 09:56

What a cracking little film, really sums up the world of Audax.
Hats off to Dougie, but of course us Viponds are hard as nails ! :D

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Nov 2012 10:02

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote: really sums up the world of Audax.
....it even included some quite eccentric individuals that provide our cycling world with great and wonderful characters.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Nov 2012 16:39

If you have yet to watch this programme, you have two days left on I-Player

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Nov 2012 20:21

Okay, I give, I watched it and enjoyed it...... :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Dec 2012 09:15

In this month's programme, there's an item on a hill climb (about half way though): http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01pd09z/. Oh, and some people who want to ruin a perfectly good bike ride by also doing some swimming and running.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 11 Dec 2012 17:24

laurence_cooley wrote:...Oh, and some people who want to ruin a perfectly good bike ride by also doing some swimming and running.
They could do that on another day and extend their bike ride. ;)

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 11 Dec 2012 18:01

if I was 30 years younger I might be tempted...... but as I'm not I'll stick to the bike only. I do enjoy watching Tri-Athlons though, went down to Hyde park for the Olympic Tri-Athlon

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Dec 2012 20:18

Thanks for that Laurence.

Yet another brilliant Adventure Show. The main asset of this programme is the ordinary nature of the people participating in excellent endurance events. Aside from the main feature on the maniac Celtman triathlon, it was also great to see a local club's cycle hill climb trial which would otherwise be ignored in mainstream media. As for the Celtman itself, I know the Torridon area well and anyone attempting an extreme triathlon that includes Beinn Eighe on its final stage should be described as a maniac.

If I have any criticism on the Adventure Show, is its erratic scheduling. However, follows can found out about broadcasts on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/adventureshow?ref=ts&fref=ts