Audax Digest

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

SEVERN AND WYE -200km - PERMANENT AUDAX

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 May 2017 13:19

Controls: Wellington, Ludlow, Hay-on-Wye, Leintwardine. Start or finish at any point and can be ridden in either direction.

Ridden: April 2017.

Organiser; John Hamilton http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA01/

Starting from Wellington, there is a lumpy section to Wenlock Edge followed by an section into Ludlow and then beyond to Wye. On the day I rode this perm, it was straight into a tortuous headwind which made life difficult. The outgoing section is pleasant but not as delightful as the return.

The route card refers to climbing Brilley Mountain out of Hay, which sounds ominous and superlative. However, the climb is real and it is ominous but provides a gorgeous section into Kington. The route then follows a combination of sharp climbs and flat sections back to Wellington, with the final stage following the Roman Road out of Church Stretton.

My favourite John Hamilton perm this far.

Philip Whiteman

WANDERING WOLVES - PERMANENT 200KM AUDAX

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 May 2017 13:35

Controls: Albrighton, Wem, Lake Vyrnwy, Dinky's Diner (near Shrewsbury). Can be started at any control and ridden in either direction.

Ridden: April 2017 (also ridden by Phil Richards in Feb 2017)

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA22/

A mildly entertaining route and acceptable but not my favourite. Starting from Albrighton, you are taken around the back Donnington and upto Wem through some rather dull arable countryside albeit along quiet roads. A great deli bakery cafe can be found in Wem. After which the route soon heads through the Tanat Valley which is scenic but I was dogged by lorries travelling at speed. The climb out of the Tanat Valley is possibly the most enjoyable part, crossing through low mountain pass along a quiet road. You can either continue to 3km upto Lake Vynwry or use the shop in the preceding village. I used the latter. The return route is pleasant until Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, after which roads become prone to lorries again.

Dinky's 24 hour Diner was a revelation serving some vile food and surrounded by some rather dodgy looking individuals. I did not hang around. After Dinky's, I was rather dreading the route through Shrewsbury but fears were unfounded. Entering the town via some quiet suburban roads, Shrewsbury's finer side was suddenly revealed as your circuit the town centre through riverside parkland.

The return to Ironbridge was horrendous as I caught this section at peak hour and the route is clearly a rat-run for Telford commuters. After Coalport, the route is moderately pleasant back to Albrighton.

Recommendation This route is bedevilled by lorries and heavy traffic in places. However, I know from experience that these roads are not subject to those conditions at weekends. My ride had taken place on a weekday. I rather suspect that my review would had been more positive if the route had been ridden on a quieter day.

Philip Whiteman

CAMBRIAN SERIES 2B. Permanent 200km Audax

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 May 2017 13:55

Controls: Monmouth, Chepstow, Abergavenny, Brecon, Builth Wells, Hay on Wye. Start at any point and ride in either direction.

Date Ridden: May 2017.

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/CB18/

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21298483

No printed route card is provided for this event, so design your own route prior to riding or use the organiser's Google plot.

Monmouth to Chepstow can be taken via the Wye Valley or via the shorter by hillier section through the western fringe of the Forest of Dean. The latter is vastly more pleasant and using some very quiet roads. Out of Chepstow, it is a very long climb over Llangwm down to Usk, which is following by an undulating section to Brecon via Abergavenny.

The route out of Brecon is brutal. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security as the road to Built is plagued by false summits, which are followed by a sharp and dangerous descent into Builth Wells. The section to Hay on Wye follows the Wye and quite easy going. The nastiest section is the tough never ending ascent out of Hay along a narrow lane up to Craswall Pass, a which lies to the eastern side of Hay Bluff and equalling the nearby Gospel Pass for difficulty and altitude.

Plenty of cafes are to be found en-route. I can recommend St Mary's Bakery in Brecon and Glasbury Coffee Shop.

A wonderful route. Despite it only possessing 1.75AAA, this route is very challenging and the AAA rating has been disputed by many participants.

Philip Whiteman

COTSWOLD ADVENTURE

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Jun 2017 08:26

Controls: Hampton in Arden (GHQ); Croperdy nr Banbury; Chadlington; Chipping Campden. + 3 info controls

Date Ridden: 11.6.17 as a calendar event.

Organiser: Trevor Wale, Solihull CC.

A truly excellent route and probably the most best I have ever ridden through the Cotswolds. The route sheets were spot on and testament to an experienced audaxer running the event. The route was well chosen using good quality lanes and B roads for the most part. It is a fairly tough going ride in terms of repeated climbing but the scenery is more than a compensation. Dare I say it, but the route iss far better than the former Beacon Expedition.

Good controls throughout.

Stage 1 – A gently undulating route from Hampton in Arden using lanes where possible through to Warwick. Crossing the River Avon on leaving Warwick with an excellent view of the Castle to the right of the bridge. Cycling through the villages of Bishop’s Itchington, and Farnborough to the Control at Cropredy

Stage 2 – A more demanding section with the hills of South Warwickshire and Oxfordshire to cross. The villages of Great Bourton, Tadmarton, Wiggington, Charlbury are all passed through on the way to the lunchtime Control at Chadlington.

Stage 3 – Still in the hills riding through the attractive Cotswold villages of Churchill, Wyke Rissington, Lower Slaughter, and Blockley on the way to the afternoon control at Chipping Campden.

Stage 4 – Starts with a lovely descent from the Cotswolds to Mickleton. All the hard work is done now and a gently undulating route takes you through the Shakespeare village of Wilmcote, then Snitterfield and Haseley back to the final control at Hampton in Arden.

This event is well worth supporting. 100 and 150km options are also available.

Philip Whiteman

Re: Audax Digest

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Sep 2021 19:14

EAST MIDLANDS FORESTS 200

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37367811

Ridden 5/9/21

Leicestershire is not flat though most of the climbs are not severely graded.

Apart from 20km of route to the south of Leicester, this audax passes through some wonderful countryside and picturesque villages that could easily rival the Cotswolds. In fact it is probably better than the Cotswold in that most road are free of traffic. Even the B roads were lightly used. The lumpiest sections are through the Charnwood Forest. Putting aside the horribly busy and partially urbanised roads through parts of South Leicestershire on the final stage, I commend this event.

Controls are cafe based. Light foods served at GHQ Moira. Moira is easily accessible from Birmingham and Worcestershire to people owning a car.

Philip Whiteman

Re: Audax Digest

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Sep 2021 19:15

EAST MIDLANDS FORESTS 200

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37367811

Ridden 5/9/21

Leicestershire is not flat though most of the climbs are not severely graded.

Apart from 20km of route to the south of Leicester, this audax passes through some wonderful countryside and picturesque villages that could easily rival the Cotswolds. In fact it is probably better than the Cotswold in that most road are free of traffic. Even the B roads were lightly used. The lumpiest sections are through the Charnwood Forest. Putting aside the horribly busy and partially urbanised roads through parts of South Leicestershire on the final stage, I commend this event.

Controls are cafe based. Light foods served at GHQ Moira. Moira is easily accessible from Birmingham and Worcestershire to people owning a car.

The event has apparently been operating for 10 years though I was not aware of it until now.