Marmotte 2013

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Gazza

Marmotte 2013

Post by Gazza » 08 Mar 2013 12:29

I will be doing the Marmotte in July and I was wondering if any other Beacon members were signed up?

jdtate101

Re: Marmotte 2013

Post by jdtate101 » 22 Jun 2013 16:24

Gazza wrote:I will be doing the Marmotte in July and I was wondering if any other Beacon members were signed up?
Yep...me!

Going out for a camp on the 29th June. I'm in the 700+ batch so will be off the line early.

Gazza

Post by Gazza » 05 Jul 2013 19:49

Good luck tomorrow. I am in the 8000 plus numbers so right at the back ! Weather is looking good.

Gazza

Post by Gazza » 06 Jul 2013 21:55

It was so hot today over 35deg. Managed to get a silver medal time which I am more than happy with. It is a tough route. What now for next year ? Have to think about that one.

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 07 Jul 2013 00:05

Nice one Gary, well done.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 Jul 2013 13:31

I'm reading on another forum that it was a brutal day at the Marmotte this year, with temperatures touching 40c and riders scattered at the side of the Alpe d'Huez seeking shade, water and the will to live, so hearty congratulations, Gary on completing it in a good time, in fact completing it at all...puts our efforts with our parky 28c into perspective.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Jul 2013 14:17

WorcsPhil wrote:I'm reading on another forum that it was a brutal day at the Marmotte this year, with temperatures touching 40c and riders scattered at the side of the Alpe d'Huez seeking shade, water and the will to live, so hearty congratulations, Gary on completing it in a good time, in fact completing it at all...puts our efforts with our parky 28c into perspective.
When Simon Dighton rode this event a few years ago when temperatures were of an equal value, he cited the situation of ambulances in their hoards having to rescue cyclists suffering from collapse, dehydration, sunstroke and heat stroke. I hope this year's event was not quite so severe.

Anyway, well done to both James and Gary.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 08 Jul 2013 20:02

Yep, what a brutal day in every respect. The temp was insane, close to 40c. I made it around in a total of 9hrs23mins (race time of 8hrs50mins). I was going slower that I normally do as I was holding back everything I could for the Alpe, and even then it took me 1hr24 to get up the top (the fastest I've done was 1hr02 on the Thursday morning). The Alpe was utter carnage with riders scattered all over the mountain in various states of collapse. I saw some throwing up, others doubled over in cramps and more than a few just slumped over, completely spent.
I felt quite good at the end, and although tired I still felt I had some energy in reserve, so perhaps I could have gone harder, but it's so difficult to judge if you've not done the Marmotte before.
I came in just outside Gold time for my age group, which I'm well chuffed with.

My photo's from the trip can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 67a32e48bc

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 08 Jul 2013 20:37

Well done James and Gary on what sounds like a brutal day. It wasn't that hot when I did it in 2007 and it still took almost 12 hours.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 08 Jul 2013 20:40

A potted history of the day whilst I remember it:

We woke up for breakfast at 4.30am, then got the bikes and bits ready to descend the Alpe at 6am. It was clear and cold, about 6c, so we all wore plenty of extra clothes which were discarded at the bottom in Ade's van.

Once at the bottom we all cycled in to Le Bourg and were funnelled in to the start pens (each 2000 riders strong). There then involved a lengthy 45min hang around in the cold until our pen was ushered to the start line. They had bands playing and the town had turned out to cheer us all out.

Once the flag was dropped there then ensued a mad, insane high speed dash to the the foot of the Glandon. Imagine 2000 riders all in a huge peloton banging along at 30+mph, it was crazy stuff, but huge fun. Things spread out at the foot of the Glandon as the gradient started to bite, and those who had gone too hard started to go backwards. I decided to pace myself by HR, and stuck to between 135 and 145. The Glandon is a very long climb of 26km, with the opening 8km at 10-12%, this is a real leg buster. Once past the initial slog it then evens out and eventually drops down to a river via a few switchbacks. This is fast stuff and speeds top 40mph on the descent, however as soon as you are across the river it kicks up to 15%, which usually catches a few out in the big ring, they then come to a halt and fall over. This year was no exception.

We then slog up at 8% to the upper dam and eventually up onto the summit of the Glandon at over 2000m where the first feed station is. You have to cross a timing mat which stops your clock for the dangerous descent (people have died on it so they stop the clock in an attempt to get people to slow down.......it doesn't work). The feed desks were 5 deep, so I filled my bottles, had a small stretch and jumped down the mountain. The Glandon north descent is very steep and dangerous. I saw quite a few accidents, one near fatal with the guy really messed up, on a stretcher with lines in and a neck brace. He looked really **** up. I think everyone who saw it went a touch slower as a result.

We then got to the most boring bit of the day the slog up the second valley to the foot of the Telegraphe. This is a 35km run, slightly uphill into wind, so is really hard work. The only way to do it is to sit in a large peloton and hide but they shatter and reform at will and it's hard not to yoyo about off the back. Worst still is if you find yourself at the front dragging 50 riders behind you whilst taking the wind, no one want's to come past and do a turn. Luckily I just loitered at the back of a large group and go towed all the way.

Once at the Telegraphe it's uphill for the next 3hrs. The Telegraphe is a deceptive climb, it's not that steep, but was blisteringly hot and because it's a tree lined climb there was no breeze to cool you down. Lots of people suffered badly, me included, as I had missed the food at the Glandon, as was now running a little empty. We slogged uphill for 12km at 8%, finally cresting for a small run downhill into Valloire. There is a major feed stop the other side of Valloire, but it's another 8% climb out of the town to get there. This was my own personal hell as I was starting to get the tell tale signs of cramp, and was just praying to get to the stop ok. Luckily I did and I stuffed my face with bread, ham and cheese plus bananas and sweets. Suitably refreshed it was then time for the biggest climb of the day...the Galibier.

There are no two ways about it, the Galibier is a huge, steep, nasty brute of a climb. It's just suffering from the get go, and at 18km it goes on FOREVER. The initial part is deceptive, it looks flat but is actually 6% uphill, it's just a visual trick of the landscape. Once at Plan Lachat, the road shoots up the mountain at at obscene angle and doesn't stop going towards the heavens. What makes it even worse it you can see the road up ahead of you on the mountain side and it's a real head ****.

Eventually after what seems like an eternity, you get to the road tunnel, where the Galibier puts in the boot. The bikes go up over the mountain whilst cars go through a tunnel, missing off the peak. This little kicker is 12% and about 1.5km long, and just decimates what willpower you have left.
Cresting the mountain at 2685m (8600+ ft) I didn't hang around as Alpcycles had their own feed stop at the top the the Col Du Lauteret, just below the Galibier summit. We all rocketed down the Galibier descent, which a REALLY fast and dangerous, then stopped for cold coke's and sandwiches with Ade and Hugo.

From there it's a warp speed descent down the Lauteret at close to 50mph (it's a wide and winding road, so is safe to do these speeds), all the way to the foot of the Alpe 35km away. This descent includes many road tunnels through the mountains and they can be tricky as you go from bright sunshine to pitch dark. Luckily I didn't get involved a a pile up which can sometimes happen. By now the temp in the valley was well over 30c and it was a bit like riding into a hair dryer.

Then at last the final course of the pain meal...the Alpe D'Huez climb. This is really what the day is all about as it's just so very hard at the end of 100miles, combined with near 40c heat it was just unbelievably hard. There were destroyed riders all over the road, people collapsed at the side unable to even move let along get back on the bike. Some were trowing up, others doubled over in cramp. I've never seen anything like it, it was just pure carnage. I really had to pace myself carefully and keep within myself. Luckily there were multiple water stops going up, so there was always a cold drink to be had eventually. The locals turned out in forced with people lining the road and cheering us up, it was as close to a TDF stage finish as I'll get, just awesome. They also would run up to you and dunk cold water down the back of your neck, which was a blessed relief in the heat.

Finally the town came into view from where it was just 1km through the town to the finish. I must admit I did well up a bit and shed a tear as I crossed the line, I was so tired and happy to have finished after so much expectation.

An extremely hard day on the bike, quite unlike any I've ever done before, but really enjoyable. I don't think I want to do it again.......

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 Jul 2013 21:21

Excellent description of the day, James...congrats for even finishing...By my reckoning, when you conclude by saying "I don't think I want to do it again"...that means give it a week and you'll sign up one more time...unfinished business and all that. Well done to all the Beacon Marmoteers

Tim

Post by Tim » 08 Jul 2013 22:27

Well done both. Great account. Im doing it ASAP

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 08 Jul 2013 23:15

I didn't know what to expect after the Galibier. My heart sank when I found it was Alpe D'Huez and I was only reading your account - good write-up.
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 Jul 2013 07:53

Top marks to you both, and a great write up James, your da man. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 09 Jul 2013 21:01

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 09 Jul 2013 21:24

Brilliant account and video, James. What next? (Apart from the Kidderminster Killer or Clee To Heaven, obviously)

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 09 Jul 2013 21:29

Andy Terry wrote:Brilliant account and video, James. What next? (Apart from the Kidderminster Killer or Clee To Heaven, obviously)
Might have a go at the Paris-Roubaix challenge next yr on my CX bike (although I think that would kill it for sure)...Wouldn't mind some alpine action again soon, or perhaps Majorca.

diggers

Post by diggers » 09 Jul 2013 21:35

That was a genuinely riveting write up. Thanks for going through the pain so we can experience it vicariously!

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 09 Jul 2013 21:48

For those who want to give the Marmotte a try I have 5 pieces of advise:

1) Sign up for an organised travel company as they are excellent (I used alpcycles.com and really recommend them).

2) However much base miles and training you think you have done...do more!! (and start ramping it up at least 6months before the event)

3) Get out there a few day early, preferably at least 3 or 4. You need to acclimatise. The day I arrived I went out for a small ride (just down a few bends of the Alpe and back up), it almost killed me. I felt like I had an elephant on my chest and I just couldn't catch my breath. There's seriously less oxygen at that altitude, especially at the top of the Galibier at over 2640m, so any help you can get by sleeping at altitude is worth it.
The whole idea of riding some of the climbs beforehand is to learn pacing them. There is nothing in the UK similar to these mountains and pacing is key. Going for 8miles at 10% at the end of 100miles and 4000m of ascent is all about treading a very fine line.

4) Use a compact and go for the lowest gearing you can. I used an 11-28 and felt overgeared on occasion. It's not unusual to see people running 32's on the back with long cage MTB mechs.

5) Make a feeding plan and stick to it. I estimated I drank close to 10-12L on the day, which is how I managed to avoid cramping, and even then I didn't pee at all, so I sweated it all out. Also eat more than feels comfortable, as strava estimated I burnt about 7000 calories on the day.

The closest you will get to the Marmotte in this country is the Dragon Ride, which is why it's hugely popular, as masses of people use it was a warm up for the marmotte and Etape. Try and do this one too, it will tell you how close you are to being ready. If you can finish the Dragon without feeling too destroyed, then you are about ready.

George

Post by George » 09 Jul 2013 22:31

Congratulations on an excellent ride, James. And thanks for all the info. It's a relief to hear that even you find the climbing hard at altitude. Whenever I climb high passes, I have the sensation that I am barely trying at all, and yet that my cardiovascular system can't cope. I strongly suspect that it's due to the altitude rather than to the length/severity of the gradients. As you say, you have the feeling that there's no oxygen in the air, but my understanding is that it's actually due to the air pressure, and the effect that that has on the passage of oxygen into your blood.

Gazza

Post by Gazza » 09 Jul 2013 22:55

I guess there is nothing I can add to that you said it all. My race time was 9hrs 46 mins. Seeing people projectile vomiting on the last climb will live with me for a while. I will confess to using a triple and was fully using the granny ring with a 28 on the back !

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 10 Jul 2013 19:26

Some of the descent video's I took whilst out on training (make sure you watch in 720p to avoid the Youtube compression):

Alpe D'Huez:
http://youtu.be/n8A0_T5zBiM

Col d'Ornon
http://youtu.be/wfuduGfatis

Col Du Glandon
http://youtu.be/4zcaiDVjbEU

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 10 Oct 2014 20:09

.......and after saying I wasn't going to do it again, I'm going again in 2015!!

Doing a 10day trip taking in Ventoux at the same time, and finishing with the Marmotte.

I must be mad....