Riding into the Oblivion: A new audax?

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Riding into the Oblivion: A new audax?

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Mar 2013 10:08

Paul Campbell, Clive Ansell and I rode an audax on Saturday that should have been retitled 'Riding into the Oblivion'. The Cheltenham Flyer is generally regarded as an easy early season randonee but not this year!

The day prove the importance of being properly prepared for all the weather that the unpredictable British meteorological conditions can throw at you, turning a nice and easy audax into event of endurance and for some at the event, terror.

The first two hours consisted riding through bog-standard and mildly unpleasant steady rain. With the prospect of the a change to the forecast, that was of little worry. Midday witnessed some warming sunshine through the Wiltshire Downs which warmed our damp clothing. However that was not to last. Audaxers were soon to enter the oblivion.

We were lucky, being positioned at the forefront of field. Those at the rear were not. Late afternoon witnessed weather that resembled the film shot from Independence Day as the sky turned inky black and a maelstrom approached. It was sufficiently dark that bike lamps could light the road surface. Temperatures dropped from 7-8C to freezing point, strong gusts blew in accompanied by heavy hail and sleet. Already damp riders were starting to suffer. We only suffered a relatively short exposure to this ghastly weather but others were less lucky. Later that night several riders required rescuing by their partners. Others returned hypothermic. For many, they still had a long evening ahead of them with the accompanying fear of mechanical failures. The only thing to keep people marginally warm was the continued turn of the peddles and hopes of a steep climb. Head down, teeth gritted and mountain storm face with the mutterings of "we must get through this". The lantern rouge must have had a terrible time.

Climbers and hill walkers always carry preventative measures for such problems but we cyclists often run the gauntlet that the weather can throw at us. Guilty as charged, I was not carrying a space blanket to throw on for that emergency stop; despite the belief of wearing sufficient layers, I went woefully under prepared. For everyone riding the 200 audax that day, we were running an unacceptable risk. It was a very hard ride.

George

Post by George » 18 Mar 2013 10:36

Are you sure you didn't go off course, Phil? It sounds a little as if you got caught up in Milan-San Remo.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2013 12:10

Yes I know what you mean it was quite chilly at Newport Velodrome the other week, oh how we suffered... :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Clive

Post by Clive » 18 Mar 2013 13:56

Dreadful weather, the rain was just starting to turn to sleet and the temperature dropped to about 2.0c as I bashed back along the whiteway in fading light towards the end. I had a **flat** at Perrotts Brook and got cold, but burning it from there on warmed me up a little.

I was thankful for the second control with unlimited hot soup, bread rolls and cake. Although the final control was busy so I ate sandwiches outside and got a little cold again.

I am certainly going to review what clothing I wear and carry. On the whole my gear did its job despite testing conditions.

Rab Momentum waterproof shell worked fairly well given the conditions, but it did start letting in water just becase I have not cleaned or reproofed it recently and I need to.
http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothin ... ket-p.html

Rab Vapour-rise products are really good. pertex and microfleece lining, although only shower proof they are warm and completely windproof. Can be worn as a base layer in warmer weather, but on Saturday I wore the top along with a thin baselayer and an additional warm marino wool base layer. The trousers are good too, but a bit thick and cumbersome for cycling.
http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothin ... -on-p.html

Heat loss though the top of the head can be considerable, so I always carry 2 warm hats and a balaclava or buff; thick fleece one and a thinner Marino wool one. Also 2 pairs of gloves a thinner and thicker pair.

I may think about taking a warm pertex synthetic filled jacket for warmth in future, light weight (300-400g) and pack down tight. very warm even when wet. Down fill is no good of course, as is useless when it gets wet.
http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothin ... ket-p.html

Maybe folk should think about carrying a bivi or bothy bag group shelter?. some are very light at about 250g and will fit in to a pocket. I've used these in the mountains and they are surprisingly warm if you get 2 or 3 people in them.
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis ... te-bothy-2