Cancellation of Cheshire Cat

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 22 Mar 2013 15:12

If you haven't heard or seen already, The Kilo to Go Cheshire Cat Sportive scheduled for this Sunday of which I was taking part has been postponed due to the bad weather.

It has been re-scheduled for the 7th July.

I am heartily dissapointed, however full support the organiser's decision as it would be sheer carnage if it went ahead.

I know a few other fellow Beacon members were also due to take part in Sportives this weekend. If they do go ahead, have a very safe one!!

Looking out of the window at present it looks like Sunday will be a total write off unless it dramatically improves!

Here's hoping for a blistering summer :roll:

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Mar 2013 11:42

Nicks_77 wrote:If you haven't heard or seen already, The Kilo to Go Cheshire Cat Sportive scheduled for this Sunday of which I was taking part has been postponed due to the bad weather.

It has been re-scheduled for the 7th July.

I am heartily dissapointed, however full support the organiser's decision as it would be sheer carnage if it went ahead.

I know a few other fellow Beacon members were also due to take part in Sportives this weekend. If they do go ahead, have a very safe one!!
A sound decision cancelling the event but I hear that their refusal to refund entrants is causing some major fall-out. Complaints seemed to be focussed upon rider's non-availability to ride on the alternative date. I hope they sort this matter out.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 26 Mar 2013 18:07

Phil - I thought this would be the case to be honest, I really can't see Kilo to Go refunding anyone although i agree it should be an option as not everyone will be able to attend the alternatives.

I shall be doing the re-arranged Cheshire Cat in July! God it seems so long away when i say it out loud.... In the time between now & then I will have

1. Done the Macc Monster
2. Cycled the French Alps
3. Had my stag do & oh yeah, got married!!!

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 26 Mar 2013 20:49

Nick, it looks as if you've put them in some sort of priority order!

Yes, The organisers of the Cheshire Cat have dropped a goolie there, I think. For every person that couldn't make that reserve date, they could have refunded and then sold on again, still selling out, and enhancing their reputation, rather than alienated a good proportion of entrants and ultimately harming themselves in the long run.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 Mar 2013 08:49

Cyclosportives appear to fall into two categories; excellent or ruddy awful.

Having ridden the Cheshire Cat five years ago, I would have placed it in the latter. That judgement appears to have been affirmed by this recent incident. My own experience centred around the utilitarian nature of the event in relationship to the high fee. For £30, no refreshments were provided at HQ and around ten miles of the route signage had not been posted - the latter resulting in dozens of cyclists unfamiliar to Cheshire becoming hopelessly lost in unfamiliar countryside. At that point, I vowed never to return and never have.

I have no real problem with commercial sportive providers making a living out hosting events. Commerical operators have proven themselves at increasing cycling participation for many individuals. As a result I have no objection to their business approach of making a living out of the activity but I do have an object to the minority of providers lacking any form of customer focus. Kilotogo and their woeful response to riders is a case in point. As Phil points out, they could have easily refunded riders unable to participate in the postponed event without any harm to their income as there would have been plenty of people willing to substitute. As various message boards elsewhere indicate, Kilotogo have really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Sorry, I have come over Victor Meldrew again.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 28 Mar 2013 17:07

Im in total agreement with the comments from both Phil's.

I too have experienced both excellent and terrible Sportives. I certainly think the prices have been hiked up considerably during the last few years, owing to the ever increasing popularity of our sport, which is good, however I think its rather greedy of the organisers who are clearly cashing in!

The fact that Kilo to Go have dug their heels in refusing a refund to willing punters just reinforces the above to me.

Time will tell if said disgruntled customers will return??!!

Having done my first Audax this year, I think this is the way to go for proper cyclists wanting a reasonably large participation event.

My advice is avoid the commercial cash cow Sportives and support your local club. Its friendlier, cheaper and is less full of plonkers who aspire to be the next wannabe Wiggo!!