Shenstone Audaxes

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

WorcsPhil

Shenstone Audaxes

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Apr 2013 18:32

Rode with a friend from Lichfield CC today on the 160kms Derbyshire Dales audax. A good ride into the Peak district so not roads I'm too familiar with, but it was worthwhile to get onto the moors with light(ish) winds. The controls were excellent with free tea, cakes, tiffin and maltloaf, and plenty of it. Perhaps less hilly than I'd imagined, but there is certainly a short, but steep leg-stiffener coming out of Ashbourne. it was also good to ride with the CCGiro guys from Sutton for a while, but a flat put paid to their chain-gang organisation....

Ian T. and Keith A. were also there, but manned up far more than me and did the 212kms Castleton Classic version...no doubt some excellent training for their impending LEJOG. Good to see you, guys and hope the rain held off for you...

Slightly surreal finish where they appeared to be selling cannabis plants at the start/finish control in Shenstone. I questioned them and they assured me that they were in fact tomato plants...is this normal, are the leaves of tomato plants the new 'beetroot'?

Anyway, a grand day out...I noticed on previous threads that quite a contingent from Beacon did the long ride last year, so perhaps one to consider next year also.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Apr 2013 18:42

I did not ride the event this year but as you say, it is a grand event following a wonderful route providing the poor weather is held at bay. Where are the controls for the 160km?

CakeStop

Re: Shenstone Audaxes

Post by CakeStop » 21 Apr 2013 19:23

WorcsPhil wrote: it was also good to ride with the CCGiro guys from Sutton for a while, but a flat put paid to their chain-gang organisation....
They must be used to it by now, when I rode one of the Shenstone audaxes a few years ago they passed me several times in between flats. I wasn't able to stick with them in their trouble-free interludes tough.
Eat cake before you're hungry

IanT

Post by IanT » 21 Apr 2013 21:25

Great conditions today for the 212k route on what was a challenging but altogether splendid day on the bike. Good to see one or two Beacon faces at various points and also to come across an excellent cafe in Castleton itself that somehow eluded us last year.

keith

Post by keith » 21 Apr 2013 22:17

Very enjoyable and well organized Audax (But not as good as yours Phil) According to Garmin 8000 calories burned, but at least 10,000 in the form of cake , consumed

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 21 Apr 2013 22:45

Well done chaps, wish I could've joined you.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Apr 2013 22:48

on the 160kms, the controls were at Ipstones on the way up and Wyaston on the way back. Wyaston is a couple of kms after the Ashbourne hill, but Ipstones is up on the moors somewhere...where the locals warned us to "stay on the path lads, don't stray onto the moors" (straight out of American Werewolf in London :D )

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 22 Apr 2013 07:33

Another great achievement by the sounds of it!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Apr 2013 10:46

Well done to Keith and Ian too. Have you any further events lined up?

I was wondering whether you would consider riding some events 'back-to-back' in order to build resilience. One option may be our Cotswolds Journey combined with the following: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-256/ .

Both are lumpy and would easily replicate the Cornwall and Devon sections.

keith

Post by keith » 22 Apr 2013 19:52

Philip Whiteman wrote:Well done to Keith and Ian too. Have you any further events lined up?

I was wondering whether you would consider riding some events 'back-to-back' in order to build resilience. One option may be our Cotswolds Journey combined with the following: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-256/ .

Both are lumpy and would easily replicate the Cornwall and Devon sections.
We are planning to do the Montgomery madness, on a Saturday to couple it with the Sunday club run. Probably do the same using the 100 in 8 course from last year.
The combination you suggest is intriguing but we are down to do the expedition, and it will be a few days after we get back from LEGOG ,............................nevertheless

IanT

Post by IanT » 23 Apr 2013 09:49

and not forgetting the Weston run as what looks like the final training ride before LEJOG. Club run the day after Weston could be interesting...