Autumn Epic this Sunday from Knighton

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

WorcsPhil

Autumn Epic this Sunday from Knighton

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Oct 2013 22:36

I'm doing this ride on Sunday, which is a lovely but tough 155kms in the Welsh borders from Knighton, with big climbs on the Rhyader Mountain road, Glascym (25%) and Presteigne...any other Beaconites venturing into the wild west this week?

ride details here... http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/epicHome.htm

As I bought my bike from Epic, I thought I'd enter one of their rides...hoping for a free Bianchi jersey rather than a bidon though...

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Oct 2013 11:16

This a great sportive and highly recommended. Unlike the Tesco'ised versions provided by Wiggle, Evans and other rip-off merchants, Phil Weaver delivers an excellent event through fantastic scenery. You'll enjoy it.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 02 Oct 2013 12:34

Definitely worth doing. As is the Devil Ride (if they bring it back).

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 Oct 2013 22:25

Compared to the other audaxes/sportives last weekend, I think I was a Billy Beacon No-mates on the Autumn Epic, but that should not distract from what a top event this is. A flattish first 15kms leads onto seven big climbs on roads with virtually no other vehicles, most climbs getting to over 400m elevation, including the Mow Cop-like Glascym wall, so thank God it was a nice dry, fairly windless day. Fantastic course and scenery and the best post-sportive feast at the end that I've ever seen. It was like a wedding buffet, with added fruit, pizzas, and even vol au vents (!). Excellent value for money.

Heartily recommend this ride for 2014, and advice for the guys/gals heading out to Knighton in a couple of weeks... aim for Presteigne first then take the B-road to Knighton from there, by the cringe, that'll get you panting and ready for your first pint.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 08 Oct 2013 11:02

Great effort Phil. I will join you next year if your doing it?

George

Post by George » 08 Oct 2013 15:44

Thanks for the info and congrats on completing the ride, Phil. I think several Beacon people did the event 2 or 3 years ago, but for some reason it's slipped of the collective radar. Never done it myself (although I've ridden a lot of the roads independently), but think maybe I should.