RideLondon100 Beacon Club entry

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

WorcsPhil

RideLondon100 Beacon Club entry

Post by WorcsPhil » 23 Feb 2014 16:39

It's clear that there are a few independent Beacon riders who have successfully got through the ballot for this August sportive but is there a chance for the Beacon Club to enter a team or two? I know there was one entered last year. I'm happy to organise if there's interest and/or we need an official invite.

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Feb 2014 17:15

On yesterdays form Phil should def be in the team if there is one

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 24 Feb 2014 11:58

Buried deep on their website is the following...so we're guaranteed one team as we entered last year, so perhaps we could put in for two...update next week.

We are again offering British Cycling affiliated clubs the chance to apply for team entries for the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 which takes place on Sunday 10 August.

Team entries open on Tuesday 4 March and close at 1700 on Friday 21 March.

There are places for 400 teams in the British Cycling Club challenge. If applications are received for more than 400 teams, a ballot will be held.

Every club that had a team riding in the 2013 event and applies for 2014 is guaranteed a minimum of one team in the 2014 event.

Full details will be available here on Monday 3 March.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 24 Feb 2014 13:07

Just a word of warning. Last year, although we were entered as a Beacon team the organisers initially gave us all a different start time. They may by now have ironed out this glitch but it helps if all team riders enter the same estimated completion time. Basically the fastest riders start earlier.

We did manage to all start together in the end but it meant a late set off time and a heck of a traffic jam of slower riders to negotiate.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 24 Feb 2014 13:08

Wow,

I wish I'd known about this before I commited to a £600 charity spot.

How many do they allow in a team (for next year) or is that a detail that'll be released on 3rd March?
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 04 Mar 2014 18:13

The details are here: http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/T ... llenge.htm. It's four in a team. We can request more than one team entry, but the entries have to be made by a single individual on behalf of the club.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 04 Mar 2014 19:02

Thanks, Laurence - good spot. So how do we select who's in? As I said, I'm happy to organise our entries but fully recognise others have an equal or stronger right to be included....

Perhaps those who entered but were turned down? Quickest riders to uphold the reputation of our club? Other criteria? Whatever, perhaps those club members who are REALLY REALLY REALLY keen to get involved in a fast 100mile time trial through the streets of London, both male and female raise your hands...Laurence, I'm assuming you're on tiptoe raising your hand.

It does say if you have been successful in the ballot, or are signed up on a charity entry, you are not eligible...sorry, Stuart...your undoubted speed, endurance and windbreak abilities can only be as an unofficial fifth person in the Beacon peloton!

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 04 Mar 2014 19:27

I'm keen to do it as I grew up around there and would like to ride on familiar roads when they're closed. We don't have to say who's going to be in the team until after the entry has been accepted, but perhaps anyone who is interested could say so here and then we can decide how many teams to try to enter. If we only get one in and more than four want to ride, we'll then have to find some way of deciding who gets to be on the team.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 04 Mar 2014 22:32

Its a shame we can't enter a team if we were successful in the ballot.

This ride is probably my main goal this year, so I'm hoping to be in peak condition, so if I by some miraculous way get the same start time as the beacon team could I tag along?

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 05 Mar 2014 08:38

Note, team members must be members of BC.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 05 Mar 2014 17:54

i'd love to do it. only 2 weeks after i get back from London to Paris!

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Mar 2014 18:11

I applied but was unsuccessful so would def be interested. However I'm sure there are many others stronger than me at this distance but if you can't fill the places count me in

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 09 Mar 2014 23:50

I'll be in a red and white British Heart Foundation top so maybe should wear green shorts to ensure I'm still representing the Beacon colour scheme.
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 Mar 2014 20:50

We need to get the team entry in by 21 March (no need for rider names yet, but it seems we have firm interest from Phil, me, Alistair and Tim). Do you want to make the application, Phil? Otherwise, I'm happy to.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 Mar 2014 22:21

I'll do it this week, Laurence. You're right that the team is self-selecting at present...marvellous. This is the last call for any other participants - for a potential second team entry, which isn't guaranteed.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Mar 2014 17:51

Everybody has had long enough to view this thread now. Last day for entries for teams is tomorrow, so to avoid any last minute issues, Beacon RCC have entered one team, with the team self selecting as me, Laurence Cooley, Tim Egan and Alistair Hey. Hope no-one is put out with that!

I have our one team entry application confirmed from Prudential RideLondon100 and we will hear whether we are in on March 28th. This should be guaranteed as we entered a team last year and the website says that if you do this, you're guaranteed a place for this year...only concern I have is that I said the club name was 'Beacon RCC', can someone please confirm that this was the name that was used for last year's entry and not some other variant?

After we hear we're in, we will need to enter individually, and we also need to be fully paid up individual members of British Cycling. No action required yet until further notice.

To avoid boring the general Beacon population, can Laurence, Tim and Alistair PM me with their email addresses, and we'll discuss next steps, entries, logistics and training offline from now on.

Thanks and really looking forward to the day...it's a great event.

Tim

Post by Tim » 20 Mar 2014 20:30

I could really do with someone taking my place as got weekends mixed up and I am driving back from Northumberland on the Saturday the day before. Not impossible to then get to London in time to be in place/register etc but not ideal.

So hopefully there is another person willing to jump at taking my spot?!?

JamesBramwell

Post by JamesBramwell » 20 Mar 2014 22:10

I must say I am interested.

However I need to be brought up to date of everything regarding this as I've only just wandered onto this thread...

For instance; how I enter, how much it is to enter, and cost of transport, how I get down to London (if its alone then count me out; I'd rather go down with other Beacon guys)

Also the dates and times on the day are important. And generally anything else I need to know.

Plus, if theres any other Beacon member who wants to go, they can have the place... I'd feel bad taking up an established member's spot as I'm only relatively new to the club.

Thanks a lot, James.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 20 Mar 2014 23:34

WorcsPhil wrote:Everybody has had long enough to view this thread now. Last day for entries for teams is tomorrow, so to avoid any last minute issues, Beacon RCC have entered one team, with the team self selecting as me, Laurence Cooley, Tim Egan and Alistair Hey. Hope no-one is put out with that!

I have our one team entry application confirmed from Prudential RideLondon100 and we will hear whether we are in on March 28th. This should be guaranteed as we entered a team last year and the website says that if you do this, you're guaranteed a place for this year...only concern I have is that I said the club name was 'Beacon RCC', can someone please confirm that this was the name that was used for last year's entry and not some other variant?

After we hear we're in, we will need to enter individually, and we also need to be fully paid up individual members of British Cycling. No action required yet until further notice.

To avoid boring the general Beacon population, can Laurence, Tim and Alistair PM me with their email addresses, and we'll discuss next steps, entries, logistics and training offline from now on.

Thanks and really looking forward to the day...it's a great event.
I have my own individual entry, however would love it if we were actually quite close to each other in time, preferably me say half hour after you lot, you catch me up and I'll tag a long, I don't mind doing a turn on the front as long as it's not box hill as you may not actually finish in the allotted time :)

Obviously I'd have my own time, but I presume there are no major issues with me tagging onto your team if at all possible is there? I could even fake a mechanical if needs be so you can catch up, not fussed about official time, strava will be my record :)

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 21 Mar 2014 00:01

James, most of what you need to know is at http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/T ... llenge.htm. We can't enter until we have confirmation that the team has been accepted. I don't know what the transport arrangements will be yet, but to complicate things a bit, I think last year people had to get down to London the afternoon before to register.

Andy, I'm sure that would be OK. Box Hill is nothing to be afraid of, either!

JamesBramwell

Post by JamesBramwell » 21 Mar 2014 00:53

Okay thanks very much Laurence

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Mar 2014 09:35

James, I think Laurence has covered it all, and you will see the cost is £48 each, but no actions yet until we're in. There will be logistics costs also, of getting down there and overnight costs on the Saturday night as we'll probably be off before 7am. No arrangements have yet been made...it is quite expensive, there's no getting away from that, but it is a grand day out...read the messages from last year's event further down this thread to get a feeling of the positives.

Andy, be good if you can join us (and Stuart also obviously + other Beaconites), and to help with this there is a two mile neutral zone after the start, I.e. The official timing mats are two miles after the 'official' roll out at Olympic Park and there were lots of people in that neutralised zone waiting for their mates, so if our times are reasonably close, there is an easy waiting zone which doesn't affect your published or strava time...

JamesBramwell

Post by JamesBramwell » 21 Mar 2014 12:51

Okay thanks Phil thats really helpful

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 21 Mar 2014 15:42

It may have already been mentioned but British Cycling membership is required which may mean an extra cost.

JamesBramwell

Post by JamesBramwell » 21 Mar 2014 16:19

Okay I need to say if this turns out to cost in excess of £120 then I'm going to have to withdraw my interest because I don't really have enough money to work with to justify what is essentially a long bike ride for a day.

It probably is a fantastic day out and experience, but please let this go to someone else who can afford it if it turns out to cost too much.

Thanks, James

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 21 Mar 2014 22:52

WorcsPhil wrote: Andy, be good if you can join us (and Stuart also obviously + other Beaconites), and to help with this there is a two mile neutral zone after the start, I.e. The official timing mats are two miles after the 'official' roll out at Olympic Park and there were lots of people in that neutralised zone waiting for their mates, so if our times are reasonably close, there is an easy waiting zone which doesn't affect your published or strava time...
Great stuff, if it's windy I'll be an advantage on the front being a big unit and all :)

Just out of interest does everyone riding need to be a member of British cycling even individuals ?

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Mar 2014 09:40

Andy, individual entrants do not need to be members of BC, just team entrants.

Ian

Post by Ian » 28 Mar 2014 22:34

Hi guys, just to let you know that I have an individual entry registered. Appreciate you will be riding as a group but if possible could get on a back wheel? If it helps with numbers & cost, have no travel or lodgings arranged as yet.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Mar 2014 10:20

Beacon are in...I've just received this message:

We are delighted to tell you that Beacon RCC application for teams into the 2014 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 Club Challenge on Sunday August 10th, has been successful.

You have been allocated:

0 Female team – please note this cannot be swapped for a different team type.
0 Mixed Team – Please note this cannot be swapped for a different team type.
1 Team of your choice (Male, Female or Mixed)

I will need confirmation by 5pm on Wednesday 2nd April of your team choice, Male, Female or Mixed. Once I have received this confirmation you will be sent the entry links for each of the above teams.

Each rider within the team must pay their own entry fee (£48) and complete their own online entry form; all 4 riders in the team must have completed and paid for their entry by 25 April or the team will lose its place.

Please note:

A team comprises four riders.

Every rider in a team must be a current British Cycling member.

Teams can comprise of four men or four women or a mixed team of two men and two women.

Riders who hold an Elite or Category 1 British Cycling Race Licence are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.

Riders who have already secured an individual place through the original entry ballot or a charity place are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.

You will see that it says we need to confirm the our team choice, either male or mixed by Wednesday, so I do need some certainty on the fourth member of the Beacon team. Myself, Laurence and Alistair are three but there is still some debate on the fourth. James, you're in the driving seat but understand if you want to pass. Please can you confirm, and if not, we do need a fourth Beacon cyclist. Either post here, or I'll be there at 9am on the club run tomorrow...surely this shouldn't be a difficult place to fill.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 29 Mar 2014 14:35

awsome, should be good fun,

i expect that place will go quick :p

JamesBramwell

Post by JamesBramwell » 29 Mar 2014 14:55

Hi Phil, I've now decided to pass on it, so let someone else have it. It sounds great but its just the cost of it thats holding me back. Cheers.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 29 Mar 2014 17:31

I'd very much welcome the opportunity to join team Beacon for this. If someone else has already spoken up & taken the final place though that's fine.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Mar 2014 22:16

Excellent, Martin...no one else has stepped forward and there's been plenty of time so I reckon you're the elusive fourth man. Team finalised...Again, I'll email separately to avoid boring others, with just points of general interest posted here. No actions as yet until further notice.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 30 Mar 2014 20:19

Phil we had a little discussion about this earlier. Providing I get a start time near yours we need to some training

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 Mar 2014 21:13

Good stuff, Andy - out of interest, what time did you estimate in your application,? If you know, we might put something similar to get a similar start time.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 30 Mar 2014 23:02

As I mentioned earlier in the thread it should be possible to nominate one team member's start time and re-arrange the others to match hence the importance of stating the same estimated completion time.

We had the same issue last year with wildly varying start times but Mike sorted it out via email I believe.