SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS 2016

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS 2016

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 Oct 2015 21:06

SUNRISE EXPRESS & SNOWDROP EXPRESS

20TH FEBRUARY 2016

......any Beacon Members not entering will be summarily shot or forced to volunteer as helpers.

Route: Whitlenge - Upton - Evesham - Whitlenge (Sunrise is Clockwise; Snowdrop is Anti-Clockwise).
Distance: 121km
Cost: £6.75 CTC or AUK members; £8.75 Day-members; + £1 if paying via Paypal. No entries accepted on the day. Optional £45 if you want to pay sportive prices!
Website: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/events.html

Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/expressaudax/

The Blurb....

The Sunrise and Snowdrop Expresses are an institution on the winter cycling and audax calendar. For some riders our event provides a wonderful opportunity to enjoy rural Worcestershire on a crisp winter day. For others it provides the perfect motivation to get out with friends when they might otherwise be tempted to stay indoors. In recent years we have also been delighted to welcome several local racing men and women who used it for steady winter training.

The two 123km events follow a revised route over The Lenches but in opposite directions. The routes follow quiet country roads with only a few short bits on main roads. February can of course be quite cold, so we have the option of gritted alternative if road conditions are poor, assuming that the dear old County Council has sent out its gritters the night before.

We hope you find everything you need to know about the Beacons February Audaxes in these pages. If you have any further questions please contact the organiser below. For details of what an Audax ride entails see our website at:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/events.html

Audaxes are self guided rides. Riders will be able to download route cards and GPS downloads from the Beacon website. You will need to be able to ride between 15 and 30kph average to qualify.

Parking: There is only limited parking at the HQ. Please follow the instructions of the marshals. You may need to park at Hartlebury Station and ride to the HQ.

Refreshments

Before the Event: The Whitlenge Garden Centre HQ will be open from 7.15am and you are welcome to purchase hot drinks and food.

On completion of the ride you will be given a FREE food voucher that will entitle you to:

A mug of tea or coffee, Beans on toast / cake or any other food on the menu to the same value.

Controls

Evesham and Upton Upon Severn will feature as the event controls can get a stamp for your Brevet Card stamped and take the opportunity to purchase some fine bread pudding, etc.

TO ENTER: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/entry.html
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 11 Feb 2016 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 Oct 2015 18:35

I'm in for the classic Snowdrop! Not the upstart Sunrise!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Dec 2015 08:54

UPDATE ON THE SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS.

8 places remain on the Snowdrop Express
14 places remain on the Sunrise Express

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/index.html

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Dec 2015 08:46

The Sunrise & Snowdrop Express audaxes are now full.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Feb 2016 16:05

E Mails have now been issued to all entrants.

If the e-mail is not visible, please check your spam box.

Hopefully the current wet and windy conditions will continue. I can then set in the comfort of the cafe dwelling on how wet and miserable you must all be feeling.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 08 Feb 2016 22:24

Hi.
No email and nothing in the spam box. :(
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Feb 2016 08:37

Hels147 wrote:Hi.
No email and nothing in the spam box. :(
Hello Helen

The same downloads are available on our webpage and in the FB Group Files. Hope that helps

Philip

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 09 Feb 2016 22:44

Thanks. JD has forward the email to me.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Feb 2016 11:41

WEATHER FORECAST FOR THE SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS

20th February
Winds: Light
Precipitation: None
Min Temp: -1C at 06.00
Max Temp: 7C at 12.00
Riders wishing to use treated roads first thing, may wish to use our gritted alternative. I suspect that many will stick to the official route. http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/routes.html

FLOOD FORECAST

All routes open, including Eckington.

Source of information: Metoffice Forecast in relation to EA predicted river flow data.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Feb 2016 11:54

HELP AT THE SUNRISE / SNOWDROP EXPRESS

Is anybody able to help please?

Oscar and Charlie will be car park marshalling but I suspect that an additional pair of hands may be required to funnel cars down to the site behind the cafe and to marshal cyclists out of the lane and onto the main road. Time: 08:00-09:00. Free breakfast provided.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 11 Feb 2016 18:02

I can help out on morning of audax Phil. I'll get there before 8.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Feb 2016 19:36

martin mc wrote:I can help out on morning of audax Phil. I'll get there before 8.
Many thanks, Martin

Philip Whiteman

SPARE PLACES NOW AVAILABLE

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Feb 2016 13:55

SPARE PLACES NOW AVAILABLE ON THE SUNRISE AND SNOWDROP EXPRESS.

Thanks to those that declared DNS.

Enter here: http://www.aukweb.net/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 Feb 2016 19:05

POP-UP CYCLE SHOP AT THE EXPRESS AUDAX

Martin Davis will present at this year's Sunrise and Snowdrop Express with a pop-up shop, selling various bits of cycle accessories and clothing. There should be some bargains to be had. Please bring a cheque book or cash.

The goods are ex-Cultracing stock.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 15 Feb 2016 09:37

Phil,

I am available to help on Saturday. Am free all day at the moment so If you need me let me know what time. I will check here or alternatively contact me by email? alistair.hey@gmail.com

Ali

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Feb 2016 09:45

Alistair Hey wrote:Phil,

I am available to help on Saturday. Am free all day at the moment so If you need me let me know what time. I will check here or alternatively contact me by email? alistair.hey@gmail.com

Ali
Thanks. I have dropped you a line.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Feb 2016 11:42

TWO DAYS TO GO....

Mark Rigby will be at Upton to welcome you and stamp your cards, whilst Andy Terry will be down at Evesham doing the same. Meanwhile, the Beacon RCC team and I will be at GHQ Whitlenge.

CAR DRIVERS

If you are a very early arrival, please can you park-and-ride from Hartlebury to the control. This relieves pressure on parking and causes less problems for delayed arrivals.

BLACK HORSE

A number of people will be departing from the Black Horse at 7am.

ENTRY ON THE DAY

I am afraid this is not possible and you will be turned away, sorry.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 20 Feb 2016 21:51

Really enjoyed my ride today Phil. Many thanks to yourself for organising it and to all the helpers at controls and White Lenge entrance etc.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 20 Feb 2016 23:12

Thanks very much Phil for your efforts in organising the audax and also thanks to all the helpers at the controls. It was a great day out for most and I wish a swift recovery to those who took a tumble.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

KevF

Post by KevF » 21 Feb 2016 14:33

Hi Phil - thanks to you and all your helpers for another great audax.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 22 Feb 2016 11:05

Same from me Phil, another superbly organised day, thanks to everyone who helped out and to Kev for the company.
Graham

Philip Whiteman

AUDAX REPORT

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Feb 2016 15:58

Sunrise and Snowdrop Express Report 2016

Thank you for making a great day and congratulations to those of you that finished the ride. Aside from some midday dampness, the weather was reasonably good for February. It was the fellow riders that made it a great day for many as witnessed through the sense of camaraderie. For a number of riders it was the furthest that they had ever ridden which provided an even greater sense of achievement. Hopefully we will see all of you at further audax events and riding even longer distances. You may even wish to join as a member of the Beacon RCC.

Forthcoming Events

23rd July Belbroughton Audaxes.

From Clee to Heaven is the same distance as the Sunrise and Snowdrop but more challenging due to the climbing. It follows a figure of eight route heading towards the Clee Hills using many quiet narrow lanes up and down dale.

The Kidderminster Killer at 215km is a great for those seeking a big challenge during the summer. It heads off to Montgomery with all the hills between here and there. Its reputation is well known in the audax world but attracts riders back year on year. . http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/killerclee/index.html

Beacon RCC’s Pete Marshall is also organising The Cotswold Audaxes starting from South Birmingham on 25th June. Distances include 200, 160 and 212km rides.
http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

Mark Rigby’s ‘Black Sheep CC’ Tewkesbury audaxes take place approximately once a month, of varying distances between 100 and 600km. These are rightly popular events and all follow interesting routes. Check the AUK calendar at http://www.aukweb.net/events/

This year’s Sunrise and Snowdrop

Overall we had 201 starters, the largest field ever! 195 finished. Only one person missed the cut-off time.

Phil Richards came a cropper near to Great Comberton. He was shipped off to the minor injuries unit in Evesham by a local farmer and is recovering from road rash and laceration to the face.. Chris Ashford was collaterally involved but managed to complete the route, as did roadside first aider, Jess Rhodes, Jones. Steve Facey also came to the rescue, collecting both Phil and the bikes. Locals suggested that an oil leak from a lorry was the probable cause. Other riders also experienced traction problems in the vicinity too

Whitlenge GC brilliant by engaging nine staff to service riders. This meant shorter queues compared with previous years. They were worked liked Trojans following a 6.30am start, not leaving for home until 12 hours later. Some of the event income was donated as a tip to the weary staff.

With thanks to:

Chris Hudson and Duncan Carson at GHQ;
Mark Rigby, Upton Controller;
Clare Abiss and Andy Terry, Evesham Controllers.
Matt Clegg, Martin McGowan, Oscar Hopkins and Charlie Skinner on car park duty;
Whitlenge Garden Centre, Stables Tea Room and Hampton Ferry for supporting the events.

Validated Ride Results

http://aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/

Please note that completion times are not published in accordance with AudaxUK regulations.

Lost Property

1 pair of glasses (found at Evesham)
Glove, map bag and bottle (found at Upton)

Over and out for now. See you in July.

Regards

Philip Whiteman