RIDE OF THE FALLING LEAVES: 2nd October

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

RIDE OF THE FALLING LEAVES: 2nd October

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Sep 2016 09:16

This event is highly commended and has a huge amount to offer in terms hills and scenery. I have entered for the fifth year in a row. Andy Terry has also entered.

100km cycling event starting from Winchcombe, Glos. Controls at Duntisbourne Abbots, Coln St Aldwyns and Great Rissington, plus 2 information controls.

A tough but scenic event showing the Cotswolds in their Autumn colours. Be prepared for some steep hills.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-613/

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Sep 2016 09:47

I've also entered for at least the 15th year!!

However, I've dropped a slight clanger this year as I have track session down at Newport on the night before....doh
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 20 Sep 2016 09:40

For anyone hankering after another 'away day' - this is the one. Classic Cotswold lanes and scenery, 102km with 1500m of climbing.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Sep 2016 12:18

Rumour has it that 10 Beacon members have entered this event, much to the organiser's delight.

Given a recent muscular problem, I will be riding at a leisurely pace whilst ensuring that my eyeballs remain in their sockets.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Sep 2016 13:35

Philip Whiteman wrote:Rumour has it that 10 Beacon members have entered this event, much to the organiser's delight.
Crikey.....in recent years the numbers have been getting less and less, so no wonder she is pleased.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Oct 2016 19:08

David Hasellhoff is not somebody you expect to see after an audax. So when it was commented that a baseball hat wearing David Hasselhoff was looking through the cafe window, I was somewhat surprised. A quick check for Hasellhoff on Google images did indeed reveal that either it was him or an exceedingly good doppeleganger. He was accompanied by a blond woman about half his age befitting of a Hollywood actor.

Aside from Hasellhoff, it was a stunning event. The Beacon posse was joined by riders from the BOCC, Redditch and Saracen for a perfect ride. Despite this being my fifth event, it is exceedingly easy to forget how challenging this ride is. Repeatedly, I forget half the hills which means that the following year it is always an absolute bugger.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Oct 2016 11:06

Despite the number of years that I've ridden this event, I still forget about some the climbs, I can only think its my way of dealing with it?

But wow, what a day for it....absolutely splendid.

I was just reading on another cycling forum about someone's account of yesterday, he took 7 hours 10 minutes to do it, minus stops :shock: And when he got back to the finish they were still waiting for a further six riders to return and that five riders had abandoned.