RideLondon 2017

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

WorcsPhil

RideLondon 2017

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 Feb 2017 14:25

I'm hearing the magazines confirming whether you've been successful or not in the ballot have gone out today, and for those unsuccessful magazine recipients, I have gathered (after getting two texts) that there's a picture of me in there in full Beacon kit from last year's ride...sorry about that.

Anyway, I decided not to enter this year as I've rode it all 5 times, and although the Club challenge is going ahead, I will not be organising the Beacon entry this year. The club challenge is open to all registered cycling clubs, and as we've entered teams for the last 3 years, then we have a guaranteed team entry if we bother to register.

This doesn't open till late February, as seen here:
https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ ... challenge/

So it will need someone to organise it if indeed there is any interest. Hope so, as it is a great experience, so if you've been unsuccessful, or just fancy a blast, step up and organise a Beacon team entry or two.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 06 Mar 2017 20:44

Just to re-iterate my earlier message...Beacon are guaranteed at least one team entry if we can be bothered to get organised. I've just received this below email, but I'm not organising our entry this year, so this will drift pass unless someone steps forward.

Please be advised that applications for the 2017 Prudential RideLondon Club Challenge are now open.

Full details can be found here: https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ ... challenge/

Applications close on Monday 13 March at 17:00.

Kind regards,

The Prudential RideLondon Team.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 07 Mar 2017 08:51

I've shared this information on the Beacon Facebook page too. Note that the information in the link suggests that we're no longer guaranteed an entry, but that places will be distributed in proportion to BC membership amongst clubs. Hopefully we still have a good chance under those new rules though.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 12 Mar 2017 12:21

Hello, I was chatting to Matt yesterday and I would be up for doing it again. At the moment that's just 2 people I think but is it worth me sticking an entry in and trying to find the extra people over the next few weeks....If we get an entry.

Are there consequences to not filling the entry if we can't get anyone else? I had a quick look round and couldn't see anything.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Mar 2017 11:13

Gareth wrote:Are there consequences to not filling the entry if we can't get anyone else? I had a quick look round and couldn't see anything.
Not that I'm aware of, Gareth. From what I remember of the couple of times I took part, individual riders paid later in the process. I suppose it could damage our chances of future team entries if we get a place and then don't use it, but I doubt you'll struggle to find people to fill the team.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 13 Mar 2017 11:39

Thanks Laurence. I'll stick an entry in for 1 team.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 13 Mar 2017 16:24

Right done. I'll pop something on facebook in due course but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll let people know if/when we get a place.

Unfortunately, one qualification is that you are male, given the options and who has expressed interest so far I went for a male team - no option to decide later or have an unevenly mixed team unfortunately.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 25 Mar 2017 08:33

And after all that we have been unsuccessful in getting a team entry.