YHA Weekend - Saturday 27th May POSTPONED

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

AlanW

YHA Weekend - Saturday 27th May POSTPONED

Post by AlanW » 06 Jan 2023 09:00

EDIT - due to the clash with the Bank Holiday I think it best if this date is cancelled. The three options then are move to another weekend date (Sat/Sun July 29/30 is the next one) do it midweek from Monday 29th May for that week only or look at other venues?

Proposed destination is Ilam Hall, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, DE6 2AZ

The only weekend available in May is the weekend of Saturday 27th May.

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-ilam- ... D4hoCh-0QA

There is a licensed bar and food is also available on the evening.

But l need to know some idea of numbers so l can get a private dorm booked for us ASAP
Last edited by AlanW on 09 Jan 2023 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Helen

Re: YHA Weekend - Saturday 27th May

Post by Helen » 06 Jan 2023 09:25

Is this one night or 2?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Jan 2023 09:34

Just one night on the Saturday night.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Jan 2023 09:43

Once l have the names of those interested, l propose to set up a specific WhatsApp group to discuss the finer details etc.

I've done a provisional outgoing route, but l will need to seek some advice on the best route from the BH to around Aldridge.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 06 Jan 2023 17:13

Hi Alan
i would register my interest now but depends on who is going re wether they are faster than me so to say

if the average speed is around 12mph then i am in but if you get the faster riders that don't want to have slower riders i understand,
just putting it out there now so its out in the open
Thank You

Paul B

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Jan 2023 17:28

Paul,

Please be assured that the pace will be to suit the group, it's all about the experience than the pace.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 06 Jan 2023 18:24

GREAT
Thats the answer thst makes me happy
Thank You

Paul B

Helen

Post by Helen » 08 Jan 2023 14:03

I'm interested but the bank holiday weekend makes it harder for me so I can't commit at the moment. Not sure on plans for hols next year yet but likely to try and use as many as the BH weekends as I can to spread my leave further.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Jan 2023 17:30

Helen wrote:
08 Jan 2023 14:03
I'm interested but the bank holiday weekend makes it harder for me so I can't commit at the moment. Not sure on plans for hols next year yet but likely to try and use as many as the BH weekends as I can to spread my leave further.
I'll be quite honest I didn't realise it fell on a Bank Holiday weekend, maybe I should move the weekend to June then as Im sure it may affect others as well?

But if we stay with the 27th May, I would need to get it booked now as Im pretty sure it will get booked up by others. So, if anyone is interested, please shout up now.

Prices are as follows:
Private room x 6 = £16.12 ea
Private room x 2 = £34.50 ea
Private room x 4 = £19.75 ea
Private room x 6 = £18.16 ea

If you want en suite rooms, then add £10 to the total cost for the private room

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 08 Jan 2023 17:46

thanks Alan

ill let you know by tomorrow night

Can you send route please
Thank You

Paul B

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Jan 2023 18:04

This is the first draft l did, still working on it to be honest. I'm struggling with the best way to get out of Brum, hence why lve opted for the towpath. But it's tarmaced, so it should be okay.

I also need to factor in cafe stops and a lunch stop, so it is still work in progress.

I havent looked at a route back yet.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41725460 ... Ep40bFYnKO

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 08 Jan 2023 18:18

OK no problem

Try this planner if you want, has cafes and everything on it and good for planning routes

https://cycle.travel/map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-Rvt5qBFo
Thank You

Paul B

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Jan 2023 20:40

Thanks for reminding me about using cycle.travel Paul

Ive logged in and the last time I used it was 2014!!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Jan 2023 20:47

This is a route that it suggested, based on all paved:-

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41742087

Cafe stops at either 20 or 28 miles and then lunch at 50 miles, arrive at YHA at 65 miles just in time for tea :mrgreen:

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 08 Jan 2023 21:05

Well there you go, the oldies never die, they just fade away waiting to be resurrected
Thank You

Paul B

BrumJim

Post by BrumJim » 09 Jan 2023 09:40

Just throwing a prospect in before I discuss it further:

How would the group feel about the youngest ginger randonneur coming along? I've had a look and can do a route that is only 55 miles from my house (and avoiding the A38 and the climb up Swinscoe Hill to an extent). He might take a bit longer than most (averaging 18 km/h), so Uttoxeter for lunch looks optimistic, but certainly hoping to get to Ilam Hall by 18:00. But would be great for him to be part of such a ride, even if it is mostly start and finish.

Going home, I would wait until we get there, but there is always an option of train home from Derby if necessary.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 Jan 2023 10:15

I don't know where you live Jim, but the route has to start from the Black Horse, which the shortest route is around 65 miles. So l take it you would meet us en route somewhere?

As for the 'youngest ginger randonneur" joining us, it's a decision to be made by the group.

But my own thoughts are that 11mph is right at the lower end of the pace that l would expect to be traveling at to be honest. But that said, l don't want to appear that lm discouraging anyone from taking part in club events, we all had to start somewhere.

BrumJim

Post by BrumJim » 09 Jan 2023 10:56

We're only just a bit further North on the edge of Stirchley.

I wouldn't expect the majority of the group to want to travel at his pace - 18 km/h is rather slow for keen cyclists. My thoughts are that there could either be a sub-group of slower riders, or we could meet up at an intermediate point and at the end. We would also look to share a private family room rather than sharing with others.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 09 Jan 2023 12:20

hi

having a good think about it and this Bank Holiday weekend is putting me off, very busy roads, i didnt even drive anywhere on a bank holiday weekend.

If it was mid week or any other weekend yeah, you would have me & Rob Parker joining up, can you look at alternative midweek or weekends

Sorry to be a pain Alan
Thank You

Paul B

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 09 Jan 2023 15:11

The Shenstone audaxes go out that way - they are still in the calendar so you might get route ideas from them. You can get to Shenstone (or Aldridge for that matter) by skirting the east of Brum via Meriden and Kingsbury.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 Jan 2023 16:46

PaulB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 12:20
hi

having a good think about it and this Bank Holiday weekend is putting me off, very busy roads, i didnt even drive anywhere on a bank holiday weekend.

If it was mid week or any other weekend yeah, you would have me & Rob Parker joining up, can you look at alternative midweek or weekends

Sorry to be a pain Alan
You make a very valid point Paul and as Ive already said I didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday. But in light of this I think its best if we move the date to another weekend or we do it mid week?

Unfortunately at this venue the next available weekend isn't until Saturday 29th/Sunday 30th July :shock: but we can have any date midweek from Monday 29th May, but for that week only.

Either that or I look at going elsewhere?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 Jan 2023 16:47

Andy Terry wrote:
09 Jan 2023 15:11
The Shenstone audaxes go out that way - they are still in the calendar so you might get route ideas from them. You can get to Shenstone (or Aldridge for that matter) by skirting the east of Brum via Meriden and Kingsbury.
I rode the Castleton Classic a few years back that started from Shenstone, I'll take a look at my old route

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 09 Jan 2023 17:38

AlanW wrote:
09 Jan 2023 16:46
PaulB wrote:
09 Jan 2023 12:20
hi

Sorry to be a pain Alan
You make a very valid point Paul and as Ive already said I didn't realise it was a Bank Holiday. But in light of this I think its best if we move the date to another weekend or we do it mid week?

Unfortunately at this venue the next available weekend isn't until Saturday 29th/Sunday 30th July :shock: but we can have any date midweek from Monday 29th May, but for that week only.

Either that or I look at going elsewhere?
Yep agree and no fault of yours, you are putting a lot of hard work into this

I think it might be a good idea to look elsewhere for a midweek date, or weekend, if you need me to help i have time on my hands so give us a shout if you need me
Thank You

Paul B