Beacon away day to Abergavenny and Hay on Wye

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

AlanW

Beacon away day to Abergavenny and Hay on Wye

Post by AlanW » 19 Jul 2023 20:39

We last did this ride a few years ago so I thought it would be good to see if there was any interest in doing it again?

Catching the 08:22 train from Bromsgrove to arrive in Hereford at 09:32, or if travelling from Birmingham 08:00 from New Street, 08:06 from University of Birmingham or 08:17 from Barnt Green.

Head out to Abergavenny for lunch, then up and over the Gospel Pass (the less steep way) and on to Hay on Wye for afternoon tea. Then a quick hop and a skip back to Hereford to catch the 16:00 train for home. I seem to recall last time we did it, it was an all-out sprint to the train station to try and catch the 16:40 train and we arrived just as it was leaving the platform. :shock:

I haven't got a date in mind as it all depends on the weather, but in the meantime, I'm just trying to gauge if there is any interest?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15053564
Last edited by AlanW on 20 Jul 2023 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Re: Beacon away day to Abergavenny and Hay on Wye

Post by AlanW » 20 Jul 2023 00:49

Return trains are at:-
16:40
17:39
18:48
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 20 Jul 2023 09:36

In principle, Alan, it sounds like the sort of thing I might want to link up with. However, finding a free weekends before the end of the summer will be difficult, and I can't do midweeks, so I fear it's not going to be practical for me.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 20 Jul 2023 10:03

Sounds good Alan, though i'd probably either ride to the start or ride home to turn it into a 200km ride

BrumJim

Post by BrumJim » 20 Jul 2023 17:31

Its a bit up and down, but might persuade a small boy to give it a go. Hay is a great place to stop for tea.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Jul 2023 20:40

George wrote:
20 Jul 2023 09:36
In principle, Alan, it sounds like the sort of thing I might want to link up with. However, finding a free weekends before the end of the summer will be difficult, and I can't do midweeks, so I fear it's not going to be practical for me.
From what I can see on Trainline, the only possible weekend day is a Saturday. Which I suspect will be busy with shoppers etc, this could impact on us being able to travel with bikes.

Which is why I suspect it's always been done midweek.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Jul 2023 20:43

What is not helping the situation in me/us planning ahead is all the train strikes and services being cancelled at the last-minute thus leaving travellers stranded.

My son is currently at Bath Uni and travels home occasionally, on more than one occasion he has been stranded at Cheltenham as they have cancelled the service with no notice and no alternative transport arranged. :cry:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Aug 2023 16:47

Below is the revised route avoiding Gospel Pass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15053564

The only time in August I do it is week commencing 21st August and week commencing 28th August. Then September the only week I could do would be week commencing 25th

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 23 Aug 2023 20:53

My very few experiences with trains have most of the time ended up in disaster. Latest experience being a trip to Malvern where after being stranded for 1hr after Bromsgrove the railway company decided to dump us in Worcester and tell us to sort the rest ourselves!!
So not keen on playing Russian roulette again, especially with the added constraint to book bikes on train.

If just a very few are tempted, I could propose a trip in my car to Hereford if we share cost. Can take 2 passengers (and cary 3 bike at the back. I can carry 4 bikes at the back but then they're a bit tight so prefer to limit it to 3 overall).
Pros:
- about same cost as rail (£15 each)
- more relaxed ride with no dead constraint of return train timetable to meet
Cons:
- you have to accept to be driven there by a French driver! ;-)

If any tempted, let me know. Could be any week-ends or mid-week

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 24 Aug 2023 07:37

My son has to travel back from Bath Uni on some weekends which involves three trains, he to has been left stranded on more than one occasion.

Of course it's not helped by all the strike actions, and there seems no end to it anytime soon either l'm afraid.

The going news, some friends of mine rode over the Gospel Pass last weekend, so it's passable but a very short section has to be walked.

Thanks for the offer of the car share, l guess it all depends on how much interest there is?

The plan was to maybe do it towards the end of September but Paul is also doing his three day YHA around the same time.

So we may need to push it into the following month maybe?

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 24 Aug 2023 19:02

I am up for it whenever, October's OK too as long as it's dry. Weekday or week-end I don't mind.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Sep 2023 20:40

My apologies for no updating this sooner, but getting ready for the trip to Spain seemed to take priority over everything to be honest. But thats all done and dusted now so time to revisit this again.

My initial thoughts of using the train are to unreliable at the moment and the last thing I want is to be stranded on the way there, or worse case on the return leg. Add to that the weather has certainly started to turn, so maybe its best if we put the idea and the back burner till next year.

That said, I know that Ced is keen to do it plus add a bit more on and go to Monmouth and he is proposing car sharing, which may be the better option. Ive therefore suggested to Ced that he advertises it as a seperate day trip.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 01 Oct 2023 14:09

Gospell pass is tough but not devillish. Thanks for the inspiration Alan.
If some are tempted by the extra mileage, the little hook via Monmouth was really nice. Very nice old town and impressive bridge well worth the extra sweat IMHO (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44582942 ... 8XGCaynUOF)