ONE-DAY RIDE to Weston -Super-Mare and back: Saturday 15th June

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

WorcsPhil

ONE-DAY RIDE to Weston -Super-Mare and back: Saturday 15th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 26 Mar 2024 17:37

Hi all,

as well as Alan's splendid two-day trip to Weston-super-Mare at the end of June, there is also a big ride two weeks earlier to Weston and back in a day. I hope to use the below route which incorporates the new Pier to Pier cycleway between Clevedon and Weston and is scheduled to open just before our ride. The latest info is late Spring, or sometime in May. If it doesn't open we'll have to use the Strawberry Line cycleway and A370, which adds around 10-12 kms.
The route will hopefully be this one:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45976591

Date: Saturday 15th June
Departure: 5:30am from the Black Horse, expected back approx midnight

This is a long old day, and in many ways is a rites of passage for Beacon members, as this one day event is part of Beacon folklore, where it used to be ridden annually but in the cold dark month of February!!!! So we have it easy riding in mid-June where nearly all the ride will be in daylight:

Phil Richards (Leading)

snailmale

Re: ONE-DAY RIDE to Weston -Super-Mare and back: Saturday 15th June

Post by snailmale » 27 Mar 2024 10:12

That's a bit further than the original W&B, (claimed to be) exactly 200 miles. This was sraight down the A38 to Bristol, then round to Weston. Not a great deal of motorised traffic in those days.
There were 2 caegories in the original, 15 & 18 hours and I got back in a little group clocking 14hrs 6 mins. David Duffioeld was first back, something under 12 hours as I remember.
Sadly, I will not be joining you as the distance is about 220 miles to far _Q
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

George

Post by George » 27 Mar 2024 22:57

Phil, like Alan, I feel that this is a tad too far for me. On top of which, the departure time would require me to get up before I've gone to bed. However, I can't quite resist being involved in this on some level. What I may try to do therefore is ride out to somewhere like Gloucester, to meet you on your return leg. Then maybe the discrepancy between my freshness and the group's will mean that I'm able to do a couple of pulls before I peel off and head for home. We'll maybe discuss the details of where to meet and how to roughly synchronise our arrival there closer to the day. Best of luck with it!

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 Apr 2024 22:46

Just bumping this post...I'm sure that I won't be on my own for this ride, will I?

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 09 Apr 2024 09:36

You could ride it as a club place-to-place record. ( Do we stll have those?) All you need is a timekeeper at the Black Horse and a turn marshal on Weston Pier. Think of the esnse of achievement doing it all on your Jack! <@>
It is better to be interesting rather than exact