Birmingham to Church Stretton

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

slogfester

Birmingham to Church Stretton

Post by slogfester » 16 May 2013 22:19

Trying to plot a route from Edgbaston, Birmingham to Church Stretton. There seems to be no obvious off-main-road route. On the all-terrain tourer (for a fully loaded test), so don't mind a bit of the rough stuff :shock:
Thanks
Barry
Belt up, we're going for a ride

dweben

Post by dweben » 16 May 2013 23:44

Nothing easy really, and it's bit of a trek once you get to Clee, no real direct way of getting there aside from A/B roads until you get closer to it. Though once you're in the Marshbrook area there's some good stuff up there.

If you want some good singletrack action head to Eastridge, it's got a real fun 3 mile long section of awesometasticalgasmisimmio joy. :D

I did a couple 100m+ routes that way training for the Kielder 100, bit of an all day grind and not much reward until the Stretton area.

ripebuds

Post by ripebuds » 17 May 2013 07:12

I wouldnt say you need to be as south as Clee. If you hit, Kinver, Shatterford, Arley, Stottesdon, Ditton priors, Shipton and then Longville you will be nearly there and would of used virtually no A or B roads apart fron B'ham to Stourbridge and Arley to the Stottesdon turning. The lanes are so peaceful around there too. ENJOY.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 May 2013 09:34

The Kidderminster Killer route avoids many of the main roads follows a fairly straight line between Belbroughton and Church Stretton. It is generally undulating with limited steep hauls at Shatterford, Arley, over Wenlock Edge and the unavoidable gap underneath Ragleth Hill just before Church Stretton.

Overall it is a very pleasant passage, very rural and once beyond Kinlet, very quiet.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=464925

There are few refreshment availabilities unless you divert to Rays Farm Country Matters or the Oak Tea Room in Ditton Priors ( http://www.pathways-shropshire.co.uk/oakfarm.htm ) . The pub at Stottesdon contains a community run shop. Acton Scott Farm has a superb tea room serving delicious cakes but it is rather close to Church Stretton - well worth a visit though.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 17 May 2013 12:05

Many thanks for comments.
I like your idea Phil of joing the Killer. I can pick it up where it crosses the A451 Stourbridge-Kidderminster Rd:

http://www.gps-sport.net/routes/Edgbast ... ton_129255

- I might just drive to Stourbridge rd as route to there from Edgbaston doesnt inspire!
- take a look at where bikeroutetoaster takes me when I approach Church Stretton. Up the mynd on from Minton to Asterton (where a mate lives). Appears to be V steep off-road track. My mate says its popular with mtb, so a chance to test the ATV fully loaded :)
Belt up, we're going for a ride

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 May 2013 19:16

That track's for Sheep mate. I recommend new brake blocks for a fully loaded decent whichever rout you take.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 May 2013 19:55

Steve is right. Having walked up the said track, it may be okay for MTBs but I would not take your Van Nick up it. You would be better going via The Burway.