mtb sandwell

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Oscar

mtb sandwell

Post by Oscar » 02 Jun 2013 21:19

Today I rode the new all weather mtb trail in the Sandwell valley which is due to be officially opened in July. It,s brilliant, far more technical than I thought it would be.. whats more it is easy to get to from the Black Horse.
Just ride through Kings Norton park and playing fields to the canal continue on the canal through Gas St basin to turn left onto the Wolverhampton canal which is Sustrans route 5 to Galton bridge.Leave the towpath here and climb steeply to the bridge then continue on route 5 to the Sandwell Valley. Check for the signs on the lamp posts as there several turns to make, after crossing over the M5 ride alongside Swan pool to the car park,this is where the trail starts. Enjoy it. A round trip of about 30 miles makes a good morning out.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 05 Jun 2013 20:14

Thanks Oscar, Ben at Venture Bikes has just serviced my Cannondale so this is just the sort of trip I am looking for.

smorty

Post by smorty » 05 Jun 2013 21:47

Thanks for the info - looks good!
Steve

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 27 Jun 2013 14:32

Thanks Oscar, rode over this morning.
Course is about 1/2 mile opposite the visitor centre if you can't find it.

MTB course is OK but not very challenging and a bit short, surface is a bit dull (hardpack) and avoid weekends if you can as you will spend more time stuck behind slower riders.
Good if you wan't a longer ride rather than just the canal, it will probably be really popular, so nice one Sandwell.

Skulls

Post by Skulls » 28 Jun 2013 11:00

Thanks Oscar, good to see you are still hitting the trails!
"Not very challenging and a bit short" sounds right up my street at the moment.

I have been to Cannock a few times, most recently last Saturday. It's really good but why have they dumped those big, round stones all over the trail? Awful surface, especially in the wet!
"If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." — Irving Layton

dweben

Post by dweben » 28 Jun 2013 14:18

Generally they're in to stop braking ruts appear at steeper sections and to slow people down on the exits of sections -- oh and they're FUN

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 26 Aug 2013 21:21

I rode over and did a couple of laps of the new Sandwell trail today. I was really impressed. I'm with Oscar in that it's more technical than I expected - although it is two years since I last did any mountain biking so perhaps I'm just out of practice. It was quiet, too, for early evening on a bank holiday. I only saw one other person.

Kendo

Post by Kendo » 30 Aug 2013 21:27

I've been over the course a couple of times, still some 'black' bits ive avoided. It has never been busy only around 7 or 8 others riding round,