Birmingham to Tenby?

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Andy_Craddock

Birmingham to Tenby?

Post by Andy_Craddock » 14 Jun 2013 18:25

Anyone got a route that they have rode Birmingham to Tenby? Looking to go there in July for a few days.

Thanks

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 Jun 2013 21:02

I've got a nice route to Brecon if it's of any interest, via Tenbury, Shobdon and Hay-on-Wye 100 miles. From there I stayed north of the Brecon Beacons and took a scenic route to the top of the Black Mountain but by then I'd left one of the panniers in Brecon and it still nearly killed me, wouldn't fancy it fully loaded although it was a cracking ride even in heavy rain. However the alternative north of the Brecons is the A40 and, heading back to Brecon, I tried a short section which felt suicidal and I got straight back onto the hilly back roads next opportunity, it was pretty grim and I wouldn't recommend it.

So, I think I'd be tempted to aim for the south of the Breacon Beacons. I've got a nice route to near Ross via Croome Park and Upton on Severn which would be heading in the right direction. However, I think that'll make it a longer route so one option to consider is train from Barnt Green / Bromsgrove to Ledbury and then ride from there (check trains though maybe only weekdays).

How many days are you thinking of taking each way?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 15 Jun 2013 19:30

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Im looking to ride there one day, eat sleep, spend a day chilling with family then come back. It has nothing to do with the fact that Strava have put a certain climbing challenge up that I really want.

Currently I only have a edge 500, but thinking now im looking to do more adventerous rides a 800 may be needed.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 15 Jun 2013 21:30

Andy_Craddock wrote:Hi Steve
Im looking to ride there one day....
:shock:

Do you have a mileage challenge in mind too? I guess it would be something like 200 miles via a nice route or 175 main roading it most of the way. If altitude is key I think I'd definitely train to Ledbury and then do a scenic route from there.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 30 Jun 2013 17:50

CakeStop wrote:
Andy_Craddock wrote:Hi Steve
Im looking to ride there one day....
:shock:

Do you have a mileage challenge in mind too? I guess it would be something like 200 miles via a nice route or 175 main roading it most of the way. If altitude is key I think I'd definitely train to Ledbury and then do a scenic route from there.
Sorry for late reply to this, wasnt sure I definitely going, but now its on the cards and I want to cycle. Its about 20 miles before tenby a place called Arbarth. When you say nice route to Brecon, is it very hilly or not?

There is a strava challenge for climbing so this may have something to do with it! Although I think I would just like to ride it if im honest, be a challenge if nothing else.

Im wondering if its sensible or just stupid. If you could send me the link to the route to Brecon that would be great.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Jun 2013 21:38

Andy_Craddock wrote:When you say nice route to Brecon, is it very hilly or not?
More lumpy lanes than hilly until I was within a dragon's breath of Wales. Here's the route to Talybont where I stayed overnight and then onwards to the Black Mountain.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?l ... ob2011.gpx

40% of the climbing was in the last 25% distance. This is why (and also because it'll be a long ride for a single day), if climbing is the priority I'd skip the easy bit from Birmingham to Herefordshire by taking the train to Ledbury and then take the hilliest route possible from there. There's perhaps a trade-off to be made between the satisfaction of riding the full distance, maximising climbing and using pretty lanes.

I presume as you're meeting you family there at least you won't be carrying luggage.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 01 Jul 2013 15:59

Im happy to do the distance and see it as a challenge. Where I need to get to its about 30 miles from where your route finishes in Brecon.

I will only be using a garmin 500 so would like to put some turn by turn directions on, would this be easy enough to do?

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 01 Jul 2013 22:26

Do you use Garmin Mapsource to transfer routes to your GPS I've probably still got the GDB file which includes turn instructions (and cafe stops).

Assuming your heading roughly for Carmarthen, I wouldn't go over the Black Mountain and down the other side, but I'd carry on heading west via Carreg Cennen Castle which will give you about 3000m in 145 miles to Carmarthen.

I know a good selection of nice cafes that just happen to be on my route (more than even I'd need) how many cafes would you be looking for in 145 miles or don't you do cafes?

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 03 Jul 2013 08:11

I dont use that but I could certainly install it, the turns would be very helpful.

I will try and avoid the black mountain then if I can.

As for cafe stops, prob around 2 or 3. I dont actually like stopping for too long, just enough to get a drink, some flapjack and carry on but if there are some really nice ones im sure I could make an exception :)

Thanks for all your help

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 03 Jul 2013 19:32

Nothing wrong with the Black Mountain and you can still go nearly to the top before turning right if you wish (although it's not necessary and will only give you a net extra 150m I think). All I mean is that it's a nicer route heading west rather than descending to the south.

Probably best if I list the more memorable cafes on the route and you can take your pick.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 09 Jul 2013 23:59

Would you happen to have the route with the turns on?

Ive just downloaded garmin mapsource.

Im not sure if im stupid, brave, bonkers or mad doing this ride, prob all of them!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 10 Jul 2013 00:16

Ive installed mapsource, but ironically it has not maps on it, do these need to be downloaded elsewhere

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 10 Jul 2013 11:18

You don't strictly need a map in mapsource but it does give you the confidence that everything looks ok before transferring to the garmin.

If you select the arrow where it says "no map" you might find "Trip and Waypoint Manager" but even if that's there it'll only be very basic and main roads only.

A decent map can be downloaded from ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstreetm ... ritain.exe

Once you've downloaded it, run the executable and then in mapsource select "velomap_great-britain"

I'll sort the GDB file out for you later today.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 10 Jul 2013 18:39

Andy

I've emailed two GDB files to you:

1 Northfield - Shobdon
2 Shobdon - Carmarthen

Here's the entire track

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?l ... camthn.gpx

It's 141 miles to Carmarthen and I've included cafes as follows:

Shobdon Airfield (55 miles)
Red Pig nr Llanddeusant (114 miles)

If you want to use the Red Pig I'd suggest estimating your time to there and check if they'll be open, although I think it may double as a pub so you may be OK.

If you choose not to stop at Shobdon, mind you don't take the left there down the hill to the airfield. Other cafe opportunities include:

- Tarc Gallery Stanford Bridge 31m
- Tenbury 40m (turn right into town not left as per route) or take A456 from Tenbury to Little Hereford (to rejoin the route there) but stop at Burford House (approx 43m)
- Hay on Wye 75m

This route gives you a nice easy run in to the finish all the way from the Red Pig so you may want to have an alternative up your sleeve going up the Black Mountain and turning right before the top if you want more meters. This won't be a quick route though, there are some narrow lanes and steep gradients. I used a triple with a very low bottom gear although I did have rack and panniers.

Have fun!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 10 Jul 2013 22:14

Steve thanks so much for this. I cant tell you how grateful I am.

To be honest if I dont get enough meters I will have done a bloody lot next week anyhow. If im feeling good when I get to the black mountain ill do it, but who knows?

I will report on the ride and let you know how I get on, although I think I will want to do when I get there is eat and sleep.

I wont have panniers, but have a nice steel bike and a few extra pounds around the belly to contend with!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 20 Jul 2013 20:34

Thanks a lot for the route Steve. Was a lovely ride, some great rodes.

It helped loads, until i accidently turned off my garmin just before Brecon, and thought I was still following the line. Only for me to realise the distance wasnt increasing so I pressed start and it said I was a few miles away from course. So I just headed up towards Brecon totally missing the Black Mountain, GUTTED as that would have given me enough meters of climbing.

Also the heat caused havoc with my wheels after 100 miles, got glass for first **flat**, changed tube and 15 miles later tyre and tube exploded. Put spare tyre on and repaired **flat** only for it to go flat again after 137 miles so had to abandon.

Some pleasing things from the trip though. I felt good up the hills, managed to keep my speed and HR in check, drank plenty, and if I had another tube or patches I felt I could have easily carried on.

Ah well, next year I might get the strava challenge, wont be able to get it this year unless I get home at a decent time tomorrow and go up and down rose hill!

http://app.strava.com/activities/68526351

Im already planning to do it again soon to complete it, including the black mountain

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Jul 2013 13:05

Bad luck on the flats Andy - yes a few patches weigh next to nothing. Pleased to see you sampled the delights of Shobdon but looks like you got bored of the lanes after Witney on Wye and main roaded from there - maybe wise if you were out of tubes by then but it did mean you missed some of the best bits.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 21 Jul 2013 22:37

I used my patches aswell, just had a bit of bad luck.

As for getting bored, far from it. That was the area I turned off my garmin and thought I was still following the route. I was gutted as was loving the quite lanes. Im notorious for getting lost but was actually following the route well.

I blame the jelly babies that I stopped for! Its really hard if you go more than a few hundered meters off course with a garmin 500 as it doesnt show you where to go, think i will be investing in a 800.

It was a shame because where I was staying the roads looked lovely and very hilly. When I asked people if they knew of a bike shop they looked at me like I was mad!