Thursday eveing rides and Saturday 7am rides

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

michelle

Thursday eveing rides and Saturday 7am rides

Post by michelle » 19 Jul 2013 21:52

Hi
Can you please give me some more details about the Thursday 6.30pm ride and Saturday 7am ride. Where do you go, average speed, time back usually - is it always the same route please. How many people go out and is it just one group. If someone gets dropped, do you wait or leve them behind!!??
Any info about eveing rides would be good - thanks
Michelle
michelle

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 19 Jul 2013 22:17

hello Michelle, I'll tell you a bit about the saturday morning ride as I'm reasonably familiar with that one. It is not arranged by Beacon but a number of club members often link up with the ride. You tend to get a mixed bag of riders from numerous local clubs. Some very friendly, some only talk to you if you are drenched in dura ace and assos!
They meet for 7 heading off for about 7.10 and stick to the same route each week, about a 35 mile loop out of town up the pershore road, through kings norton, out to Redditch looping through Batchley past the prison and back through Barnt Green before retracing itself back through Hopwood and Kings Norton.
Folk meet up at the old Birmingham City Cycles Shop on Bristol St in Town, about 100m up the road from the big Ford garage.
The pace is very brisk averaging 20-22mph. The group are pretty unforgiving and if you get dropped you are on your own. Similarly if you have any kind of mechanical issue you are on your own. The range of ability does vary so it is often possible to link in with a few other riders if the pace up front is too much. They are very good sessions as it is damn hard riding but many don't like the fact that more often or not you dont get people stopping if you have any issues so it unserstandably puts a few off.
The Wednesday evening rides are getting a good turn out and although they are fast they are not as insane as the Saturday morning sessions and they are a damn sight more friendly.
hope this helps.

George

Post by George » 20 Jul 2013 08:56

The Thursday ride is not an established club activity, but a spontaneous development involving a few people with similar aims. I believe (never having participated), that the rides are/were fairly low-key rides for people building up to club run standard. A little more detail can be found here:
http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=5685

I haven't heard much about them recently, which may or may not mean that they've fizzled out.

I suggest you PM Pat McCabe or Andy Nott (see above thread).

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 20 Jul 2013 09:14

The training page on the Beacon website also mentions a Birmingham City Cycles ride on Thursday evenings, which I presume is similar to the Saturday morning ride.

Tim

Post by Tim » 20 Jul 2013 11:09

The BCC south ride this morning averaged 22mph. There used to be a slower 16/17mph north ride same time same meeting point (opposite etape hotel) but not sure if that still happens.

I find people on bcc are friendly in winter when there's only 2-6 on ride, at 22mph no-one can talk!

If you search Birmingham city bike ride or Birmingham city cycle ride on facebook there's a group withmap of meeting point. The Thursday night bcc ride now happens on a weds I think.

There's also a sat morning c40mile ride from bicicielo at 8or9 ring them for info.

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 21 Jul 2013 14:58

George wrote:The Thursday ride is not an established club activity, but a spontaneous development involving a few people with similar aims. I believe (never having participated), that the rides are/were fairly low-key rides for people building up to club run standard. A little more detail can be found here:
http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=5685

I haven't heard much about them recently, which may or may not mean that they've fizzled out.

I suggest you PM Pat McCabe or Andy Nott (see above thread).
George, we haven't done a Thursday night ride since Pat fractured his arm, must be 4 weeks now.