Century Saturday?

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Andy_Craddock

Century Saturday?

Post by Andy_Craddock » 15 Sep 2013 20:08

I'm doing a spartan run Sunday so can't make a club run however am planning a century ride to Malvern on the Saturday if anyone wold like to join. Looking to average around 16.5 - 17mph average.

If anyone fancies joining will be meeting at black horse half 7.

It's the route that has been done a few times on club runs, however only looking to stop once about 70 miles in at Evesham so will prob need some extra food in jersey.

Anyone who fancies joining if you could let me know just so we don't leave people behind.

So far it's me and Mark Patton ( who I have already apologised to for having to wait on the hills for a lardy like me ) who are doing the ride.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 15 Sep 2013 21:26

Im very interested, as im working on my long distance and can so far ride 70 odd miles averaging that in one go by myself and still feel pretty perky, if I could sit behind someone then maybe, the last 30 maybe a slog! not too sure yet, im going out on a long ride Wednesday so will see but ill definitely up for it! As I don't know what im doing in cycling yet!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 15 Sep 2013 23:17

Alright Harry.

I'm sure you will be fine. If you've been managing that distance on your own then will manage a ton with a group no problem.

The hardest part of the route is the first section, quite flat on the way back, we'll flattish. There will be times when I may struggle on the hills but ill just meet you all at the top!

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 16 Sep 2013 08:27

Andy. You got a GPS of the route. I have the route we did with Greg a while back on my garmin. Is this the same as we are doing?

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 16 Sep 2013 19:08

Alright Mark, yea its the same one greg done the other week. Here it is though in case anyone else wants it

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=561629

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 16 Sep 2013 19:35

Last time I did one of the excursions I took 2, 700ml water bottles and ran out 50 miles in therefore I had to go to a corner shop to get some more water, it was a hot day though! and I only have two bottle cages! HELP!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Sep 2013 19:47

Rather oddly, I rode an almost identical route on Saturday.

Just as info points.

- Just beyond West Malvern, you can pick up water from the spring located on the LH side. Inevitably there will be a queue of people with empty bottles.

- At British Camp, the tea bar provides good snacks for a very quick stop. I can commend their rock cakes.

- I would not bother with Upper Welland Road after British Camp. If you take the first and rather sharp left onto the A4104, there is a splendid descent down to Welland assuming that you desire some eye-boggling speeds.

- Clive's Fruit Farm just before Upton has some superb cake and coffee in their little tea room.

- At Bourne Road just before Defford is Rivells Farm Shop and tea room.

Enjoy! I would love to join you but have a clash that day.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 16 Sep 2013 19:54

Thanks phil for that, oh yes andy, a question, what is a Spartan run?

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Sep 2013 20:22

:roll:

If bottles weren't filled with wild Malvern spring water you cheated and the ride doesn't count. Do it again properly!
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 16 Sep 2013 21:29

Philip Whiteman wrote:Rather oddly, I rode an almost identical route on Saturday.

Just as info points.

- Just beyond West Malvern, you can pick up water from the spring located on the LH side. Inevitably there will be a queue of people with empty bottles.

- At British Camp, the tea bar provides good snacks for a very quick stop. I can commend their rock cakes.

- I would not bother with Upper Welland Road after British Camp. If you take the first and rather sharp left onto the A4104, there is a splendid descent down to Welland assuming that you desire some eye-boggling speeds.

- Clive's Fruit Farm just before Upton has some superb cake and coffee in their little tea room.

- At Bourne Road just before Defford is Rivells Farm Shop and tea room.

Enjoy! I would love to join you but have a clash that day.
Cheers for this Phil. That spring is the part I was thinking about to fill up on fluids.

Harry, Im not quite sure. Ive entered it with someone at work. It involves running for around 5k but with about 20 -25 obstacles. Its a bit of a surprise really!

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 17 Sep 2013 15:23

Andy, please promise to leave them leggings at home this Saturday, don't want you being arrested for indecent exposure, hahaha

:oops:

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Sep 2013 16:12

I forgot to mention that Abbey Road Bridge in Evesham is closed for replacement. A diversion can be found a further 30m beyond the original crossing point, where a temporary bridge has been installed for cyclists and pedestrians.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 17 Sep 2013 20:06

I'm going out to do 70 miles tomorrow, hopefully the weather wont be as crap as it was today!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 17 Sep 2013 23:36

Mark Patton wrote:Andy, please promise to leave them leggings at home this Saturday, don't want you being arrested for indecent exposure, hahaha

:oops:
I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

I had forgot about them however you may never get the image out of your head.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 19 Sep 2013 21:55

it looks like im not going, oh and thanks steve for the info ill take that into account for the future

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 20 Sep 2013 18:42

Good luck andy and mark, it should be a walk in the park for you 2 by the sounds of it anyway, as with the hill climb, try again next year! Hoepfully it should be a peaceful ride, hopeully the weathers good and all

Cheers for the advice Guys, much appreciated

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Sep 2013 11:31

I'll split the useful discussion of nutrition to a separate thread in the technical forum.
Eat cake before you're hungry