Saturday Morning Training Rides - Redditch

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

AlanW

Saturday Morning Training Rides - Redditch

Post by AlanW » 31 Jan 2014 17:31

As the original thread got deleted, this is just a reminder about this Saturday morning training ride. Numbers can vary this time of year, but usually around 8 or 10, but will swell to 20 odd in the summer months.

Starting from the Bramley Cottage, Callow Hill Lane, Callow Hill, Redditch, Worcestershire B97 5QB at 9 o'clock (prompt!) it is a near enough 40 miles route. Route details HERE

It is the same route every week, although the direction may alter depending on the direction of the wind.

It is a relaxed pace during the winter months, typically average around 17mph. Only when the clocks change will the pace increase to around an average of 20mph.

Any questions please feel free to ask!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jan 2014 17:38

IF I ever get rid of the WFCRC Speeds bash on Saturday mornings (if it still happens).

AndyCurley

Post by AndyCurley » 31 Jan 2014 19:52

It still happens :x

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Apr 2014 19:47

This is thread worthy of a bump if anyone is in the area? The ride has taken a sudden surge in average speed and is getting to be quite a sizeable group.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 21 Jun 2014 14:18

Just another bump up and to remind people about this run.

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 21 Jun 2014 14:30

Are you still getting a good few out on the ride Alan? Might hook up again soon when I get a few miles back in my legs. Rode along Coalash Lane this morning - not impressed with the loose surface dressing that has been chucked onto it!
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 21 Jun 2014 16:45

Philmondo wrote:Are you still getting a good few out on the ride Alan? Might hook up again soon when I get a few miles back in my legs. Rode along Coalash Lane this morning - not impressed with the loose surface dressing that has been chucked onto it!
It would be good to see you Phil, and bizarrely someone asked after your welfare this morning. We have a good sized group most weeks, circa 15 to 20 riders and the pace is pretty constant, although today's ride went a bit bonkers were some unknown reason :?:

I knew about Coalash Lane being resurfaced, so we added a bit on and by passed it.

Gary

Post by Gary » 10 Jul 2014 12:13

Should be out on Saturday Alan. it's been a while.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 10 Jul 2014 13:29

Gary wrote:Should be out on Saturday Alan. it's been a while.
Look forward to seeing you again Gary and I do plan on riding. However please dont expect to much from me as its the Midsummer Night Ride midnight on Friday night. :shock:

So it will be case of getting home, having a wash, change of clothes, intake of food and then back out again. :wink:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 27 Jul 2014 07:41

Philmondo wrote:Are you still getting a good few out on the ride Alan? Might hook up again soon when I get a few miles back in my legs. Rode along Coalash Lane this morning - not impressed with the loose surface dressing that has been chucked onto it!
Good to see you out with us yesterday Phil, sorry we didnt get to talk!

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 27 Jul 2014 10:34

Thanks Alan. It was good to be out again. It was pacier than I remember, or maybe I've just lost a bit of fitness! I'm going to try and make it a regular thing again now :D

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 27 Jul 2014 17:29

Philmondo wrote:Thanks Alan. It was good to be out again. It was pacier than I remember, or maybe I've just lost a bit of fitness! I'm going to try and make it a regular thing again now :D
One of the founder leaders of the run no longer attends, and he used to control the pace of the group with a rod of iron. Which was great as it was never intended to be a full on training bash and it kept everyone together as a group.

However, now its just a free for all!!! :lol:

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 18 Sep 2014 10:57

Mr Weaver, I hope to join you this Saturday. Be gentle.

Does the ride end with a visit to a fine patisserie avec macchiato?
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 18 Sep 2014 21:04

Its a good ride Barry. No cafe at the end though (unless they go without telling me of course :wink: ) so you'll have to wait to get home for your macchiato or hot frothy milk...

I need to get out early this Saturday due to family commitments so will miss the ride :cry:
Have a good one!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 19 Sep 2014 10:23

So, that's 2 rides on Saturday morning within a coooeee of each other in time/place (Speeds Bromsgrove and Redditch), that don't finish at a café. How uncivilised. I mean, what are we doing this cycling-fing for?
Does the area in Redditch where the ride stops posses a reputable cafe?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Sep 2014 17:17

slogfester wrote: Does the area in Redditch where the ride stops posses a reputable cafe?
You could call in at the Jinney Ring HERE We have near enough done and its less than a mile from the top of Flying Horse Lane which is where the group tends to split up anyway.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 20 Sep 2014 17:28

Despite the lack of a café ending, I enjoyed this morning's ride. Although regulars assured me it was a slow one, it wasn't too shabby at av. of 31.8 over 60 km.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Sep 2014 19:31

slogfester wrote:Despite the lack of a café ending, I enjoyed this morning's ride. Although regulars assured me it was a slow one, it wasn't too shabby at av. of 31.8 over 60 km.
Glad that you enjoyed it Barry, and it was a very subdued pace compared with previous weeks. Not to sure why, but I was certainly glad and so was my ankle!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Nov 2014 21:18

Winter rules have now been applied.

So the group will remain together for the duration of the ride and the average speed has been reduced to in the region of 18mph