Tour De France Stage 2

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Nicks_77

Tour De France Stage 2

Post by Nicks_77 » 16 Jun 2014 17:07

Not sure if everyone is aware but a few of us Beaconites are planning a social ride on Sunday 6th July going from Leek in Staffordshire cycling up to Langsett Reservoir to watch the race.

It was originally thought that the best vantage point would be at Holmfirth but on reflection these areas will be far too busy and most likely to be shut off from the general public early on.

Ive looked at the route and even driven over to Langsett on my way home from a recent work trip up to Sheffield and this seems to be a good area to a. ride to and b. view the race as it heads towards Sheffield for the finish.

I've plotted a route which is approx 35-40 miles starting from Leek, it is extremely hilly but it is envisaged we will take it steady.

Exact set off times are yet to be figured out but the peloton based on a 41km/h avg will hit Holmfirth at around 14:38, I would say the route from Leek will take approx 3-3.5 hours based on the terrain which will take in Buxton, Castleton, Hope Valley and Ladybower reservoir along the way.

Our return journey back to Leek can either be extended or more direct depending upon the weather on the day.

Anyone wanting to join the few of us already planning to go are more than welcome however you will have to sort out your own travel arrangements.

If you could express your interest that would give me an idea of the best place for everyone to park and set off as a group.

Hope to see you on the 6th July.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 18 Jun 2014 16:28

Be keen to join you, Nick. I rode most of the route yesterday and note you're saying Langsett Reservoir as a viewing spot. I don't know if you mean the general vicinity or exactly at the reservoir, but the road past Langsett is fast downhill...In fact it's downhill and fast from the top of Woodhead (Upper Windledon Reservoir) all the way to Midhopestones (Mortimer Road).

The Strines Road may be a good viewing spot (junction of Mortimer and Pensitone Road) as it's uphill, has 2-3 miles approach all uphill and you don't have to cross or go along the route to access this spot (good access from Ladybower), although how many other thousands may congregate there, we just don't know.

Wherever we lay our picnic blankets, and wicker baskets full of lobster bisque and jugged hare, I'd be keen to come along.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Jun 2014 16:52

WorcsPhil wrote:...wicker baskets full of lobster bisque...
I'm no expert on fine dining, but I suspect that your bisque might leak.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 20 Jun 2014 14:54

Thanks for this. I will be riding up from a friend's place in Bakewell but be interested to know where the best accessible viewing point is and where you end up. In which case I will look out for the Beacon tops!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 22 Jun 2014 09:39

Phil - It would be great to have you along for the ride. I was looking at the general vicinity near to Langsett and the junction between Mortimer and Penistone was the exact spot I was planning on taking us to.

Great minds think alike eh?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 22 Jun 2014 09:40

This is the route I'm planning on us doing.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4512884?p ... Mjz8CQXJNE

craig

Tour de France Stage2

Post by craig » 22 Jun 2014 20:51

Hi Nick
It sounds like a cracking idea could you please put me and my son down
Many Thanks
Craig

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 23 Jun 2014 18:47

No problem Craig but you'll have to sort out your own travel to Leek & back.

I'll post up what time we are set to meet in the next week. Just need to figure out where will be best to park.

craig

Tour de France stage 2

Post by craig » 23 Jun 2014 20:08

Hi Nick
No problem just forgot to mention I will be in my car
Thanks again
Craig

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Jun 2014 07:37

Advice from Tour de France Yorkshire via Twitter is that roads should be open to cyclists until 30 min before Caravan just like in France but please follow advice of the stewards.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 24 Jun 2014 15:38

Thanks Dave - that's good to know (even though I wouldn't cut it that fine).
Eat cake before you're hungry

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 24 Jun 2014 18:16

Nick et al

Myself, Jules and her brother (who I rode with in the Cotswold Audax) will be in the same area.

What about this climb:

http://www.strava.com/segments/delf-rd-climb-911682

looks like one of the final kicks on the run down to Sheffield?

B
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Jun 2014 19:34

No problem Craig.

Barry that's just a bit further down the road from where I was thinking of going. I was looking at the junction of Mortimer and Penistone Road which is uphill.

Be great to hook up with you guys and get a Beacon collective together.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Jun 2014 19:46

UPDATE.....

We will meet at the car park on the High Street in Leek Staffs just off St Edwards Street.

Local Authority car parks are free on Sunday's in Leek.

We will be heading off from Leek no later than 9:00am

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 30 Jun 2014 23:03

Nick,
Hopefully will see you at junction of Mortimer and Penistone Road aka Cote de Midhopestones
Barry

keith

Post by keith » 05 Jul 2014 22:07

Ian ,Nick,Matt and me road up to Leeds from Ashboune yesterday saw the race leaving Leeds ,then road to Harrogate and found a vantage point 2.1 km from the end (you can see Beacon tops on the highlights show)
I had an off going into Harrogate (yes me as well) OK apart from a few cuts and bruises,and a need to order new kit,
fantastic if surreal experience over all ,at one point we found are selves at a red light next to the team sky car
may well see some of you on the road tomorrow

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 05 Jul 2014 22:27

Côte de Midhopstones.

Pure evil.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 06 Jul 2014 20:43

Good to see some of you lot again - Le Tour is definitely an experience I'd like to have again! Hope you made it back to Leek then Brum all safe and sound.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 06 Jul 2014 22:33

It was good to see you back on the bike, Richard. Lots of Beacon jerseys spotted en route today, too. Thanks to Nick for organising a good day out, with a tough ride out and back thrown in.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 06 Jul 2014 22:42

I saw 3 Beacon riders near Hope this morning, can't keep away from you all!
Some of the car driver attitudes were questionable.....

Here are a few pics of the club run

http://www.edwardmoss.co.uk/news/entry/ ... yorkshire/

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 07 Jul 2014 09:44

Thanks to everyone who turned up yesterday morning to join us on our ride out from Leek up t' moors to watch Stage 2. I hope you're not all cursing me for the rather hilly route we took out and back again, I think the views at the top of the climbs were well worth the pain.

Great to see lots of other Beaconites yesterday aswell including the Peleton led by Matt Reagan & Co heading back towards Ladybower Reservoir. We even saw our glorious Club leader Dave Cox on our way back to Leek.

A great day alltogether and we managed to make it back to Leek as a group despite the debacle that was descending back off our viewing spot. I wonder if there's still anyone stuck up that hill?!

Highlight of the day for me was getting the full on Tommy Voeckler gurn as he flew past.

I suppose as it was sort of a Sunday Club ride I should list the names of our group in time honoured fashion, so our band of TdF men were:

Nick (Tommy V appreciation society) Shenton (L)
Andrew (Housey) Clayton
James (Mitchell) Tate
Toby (Il Pirata) Draper
Martin McGowan
Craig Walmsley & Son
Laurence Cooley
Gareth (Polka Dot Jersey) Cadd
Phil (Polka Dot Cap) Richards

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 09 Jul 2014 22:23

Great day.
Myself, Jules and her brother had lovely tail winds during the 2 day ride up and then a thrilling roller coaster TT to catch a train at Belper on the way down on Monday.
The 20 km steady climb up from Ashbourne along the Tissington trail (doable on a road bike) and the climb up Ringinglow were highlights. The people jam mayhem getting off the mountain caused by truly idiotic drivers abandoning their cars in the middle of the lanes, a lowlight.

ImageP1020979 by Slogfester, on Flickr

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 09 Jul 2014 23:09

Great pictures Ed. Deb and I had a fabulous three days. As we rode over Holm Moss on Sunday morning bound for Holmfirth it was a good while before we could ride down due to the thousands coming up. Terrific atmosphere. Monday we picnicked in Walthamstow just yards from our daughter's house. Another great day.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 12 Jul 2014 21:17

A Steve Maguire who was spectating at High Bradfield on Sunday, has sent us these photos, let me know if anyone wants the full size originals...

Eat cake before you're hungry