Edgbaston to Sheffield for the TdF stage 2

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

slogfester

Edgbaston to Sheffield for the TdF stage 2

Post by slogfester » 23 Jun 2014 15:47

We are riding oop north to watch stage 2. We have friends who own a farm c. 4 miles W of Sheffield (just off the Manchester Rd near Rivelin Dams).

Need a 2 day touring bike route from Edgbaston to just west of Sheffield. I confess I am struggling as my knowledge of the area along the route is very limited. Any one got any suggestions?

I'm even stuck on exiting Brum. Ordinarily I'd take the canals to Castle Vale, but the Fazeley canal towpath is closed work days/hours for the next 3 weeks (work funded by the Birmingham Cycle Revolution!). What is the alternative best way of getting through Brum towards Sutton Coldfield? Not main road, but not dawdling along the sometimes crazy bike routes.

Thanks
Belt up, we're going for a ride

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 23 Jun 2014 18:27

Avoid the initial hassle by taking a bike friendly London Midland train to Sutton Coldfield or beyond.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 23 Jun 2014 18:41

I could probably plot you a route Barry but as Steve says I would honestly consider getting the train just to the North of the city unless you are planning on leaving at the crack of dawn in which case you would miss the chaotic traffic.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 23 Jun 2014 20:40

Get to Ashbourne then use the Tissington rail trail to Parsley Hay then via Monyash (good cafe),Bakewell,Hassop,Calver (cafe),Grindleford,Hathersage(cafes),Bamford to Ladybower.
I can give you more detail on cafes etc if you choose this route.
You could also go from Hathersage to Ringinglow to Rivelin.Good mountain scenery!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Jun 2014 07:42

I go to Sutton up the A34 and then up the A453 and through to go round the Park. Surprisingly ride able I did first bit everyday for 15 years to get to the Poly/UCE. But agree the Cross City line out of rush hour is good and bike friendly. Little enforcement of the 2 bike rule

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 24 Jun 2014 11:51

Many thanks for comments/help. Proposed routes:

Day 1: Little Aston(ish) to Ashbourne (we might just start at Lichfield)

http://www.gps-sport.net/routes/Little- ... rne_151123
62 km / 900 m
seems straight forward enough? And goes near my Aunty at Yoxall; think tea and cakes :)

Day 2: Ashbourne to Ronksley

http://www.gps-sport.net/routes/Ashbour ... ley_151124
62 km/1400 m
utilises the Tissington railway trail. Has a sting in its tail climbing from Ladybower Reservoir east up the A57 Manchester Rd. Not so worried about the climb, more so the main road on what will be a Saturday afternoon? Rod's alternative climbing EEN out of Hathersage up the Ringinglow (great name) appears to be steeper but quieter?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Jun 2014 14:25

If you do try the A34 I wouldn't use the under and over passes better to use the roundabouts! Just remembered and just saying!

Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 24 Jun 2014 15:01

It's certainly quieter to go via Ringinglow .There are 2 ways from Hathersage. The harder bears left just after the centre of the village past the Scotsman's Pack pub and the church where Little John ,Robin Hood's mate is buried.The easier road bears left about a mile further up the Sheffield road just past the Millstone pub.Both routes converge at the summit before a little dip to cross from Derbyshire to Yorkshire at Burbage Brook.There is a bit of bad surface about 1/2 way down the hill into Ringinglow, where you turn left at the "Round House" old tollbar. Good views over Sheffield from the summit which if my memory is correct is 1368ft above sea level compared with the 1180 or so of the A57.
Enjoy your trip,I shall be nearby at my son's home about a mile down from Ringinglow!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 24 Jun 2014 17:46

Thanks Rod. I favour quieter roads when touring, so how about this:

http://www.gps-sport.net/routes/Ashbour ... low_151188

This routes takes the less hard route up to Ringinglow. BUT note I have crossed the river at Grindleford and then taken a track NW out of Upper Padley through the woods to the Millstone pub. Any idea if this is accessible/rideable? Its not clear on maps. Some say yes, some say no. Otherwise we can just go via Hathersage.

I love exploring :)

Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 24 Jun 2014 18:18

I don't know that track and none of my cyclist friends in the area have ever mentioned it.I would guess if is rideable you would need a mountain bike.

Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 26 Jun 2014 07:46

If you prefer quieter roads you can avoid Bakewell by going from Monyash to Hassop via Ashford-in the-Water.About the same distance and possibly easier riding.There is a good tea room at the old station just before Hassop where you cross the Monsal Trail.