WEDNESDAY NIGHT RUNS

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Philip Whiteman

WEDNESDAY NIGHT RUNS

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Nov 2014 13:49

This new 'sticky' is quick central reference point about the Wednesday night rides following a recent Facebook Enquiry - and to save a lengthy search through the message board for details.

Tim provided the following useful information on the FB page:

"It meets outside the front of The Red Lion Pub in Kings Heath nr top of Cartland Road (not the car park at back), not BikePro now. Leaves at 7pm sharp. It's 35miles, occasionally 50 in summer. Average c17mph even in winter faster in summer. I haven't done it for ages but it's a great ride. Nic, Laurence, Toby if they are on it and others will look after you, let them know if your first time on it and they won't leave you behind/will wait up at junctions. Yes good lights (ideally that will last 2 hours!) and mudguards are highly recommended and 2 spare inner tubes and pump. It's not a Beacon only ride, some none members and Solihull members are on it too sometimes. If you look at peoples Strava rides you can see the map on there and might be somewhere in the thread on message board think it's in 'other rides' section titled "mid week rides". "

PS> Does anyone have the GPS route map for the standard evening run, which can be posted here?
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 01 Aug 2016 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 05 Dec 2015 15:45

toby

Post by toby » 05 Dec 2015 16:32

It would be good to attract new riders to Weds night runs. It starts on my doorstep so I try to turn out as often as possible all year round.

Newbies used to turn up regularly but that appears to have abated of late. Perhaps the route is off putting at this time of year? There are three particularly bad sections I can think of.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Dec 2015 11:42

Just a note that Bushwood Lane is currently closed (hopefully they're resurfacing it). I was out that way this morning and it told that it wasn't passable by bike.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Dec 2015 11:50

laurence_cooley wrote:Just a note that Bushwood Lane is currently closed (hopefully they're resurfacing it). I was out that way this morning and it told that it wasn't passable by bike.
Indeed, it is road resurfacing. The scheduled closure expires on 24th December.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Dec 2015 17:41

If that's the road between Lowsonford & Lapworth when I went that way last Wednesday I thought the sign said closed 07:00-18:00 but if the job's half done it might be worth those on road bikes avoiding it tonight.
Eat cake before you're hungry

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 14 Sep 2016 21:06

Just a quick reminder for regulars and to let newcomers know, the Wedesday Red Lion ride has always been billed as a "social" training ride, on which we wait to regroup and don't drop people unless they say that they're OK to ride alone. The ride has become a lot quicker the past couple of summers, but I think it's always kept the social ethos.

Tonight I thought it lost that ethos a bit for the first time. There were several occasions when shouts to stop and regroup were ignored and half of the group rolled on at a slightly reduced pace instead. All this does is mean that a group of people are soft-pedalling, having their average dragged down, while others still have to work hard to get back on in ones and twos. All it would have taken was a 10-second stop in several places and the whole group would have been back together, and we could all have ridden at a decent pace. Places that it always pays to check whether a regroup is needed are the top of the Baddesley Clinton climb, Lowsonford and the top of Bushwood Lane.

Apologies for the grumpy post; I love you all really.