Canal Rides

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 08 Jan 2015 22:00

Does anyone fancy another canal jaunt this Sunday?

If so, I'm not familiar with the canal network, so would Stratford be a sensible and achievable destination?
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 08 Jan 2015 22:42

The Stratford canel includes a long section near Henley where cycling is officially banned. Large parts of the towpath is also narrow and very muddy this time of year. The better parts are also popular with walkers and leisure cyclists on weekends. Not somewhere I would want to take a club run.
The forcast is quite decent at the moment for Sunday. I would be happy to lead a C run but after recent complaints am not keen to be the cause of complaints so would rather some one else did it.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 09 Jan 2015 00:15

Thanks pete, deff not Stratford then!
Btw, I'm not intending for it to be 'the' C run, it was just that a few C runners did the canal option last week, so wanted to ask the question.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 09 Jan 2015 07:10

Helen never attempted Stratford but my MTB is set up for ice at the moment so I'd rather wait for colder weather or later in the year for another canal ride. Hatton Locks is rideable although a few muddy patches are better frozen. Also because of the distance time it is best to be able to return on the road. I'd rather go for a road ride this Sunday. My favourite canal destination is Wombourne via Wolverhampton but that is a long ride better for later in the year.