Zwift

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Andy Terry

Zwift

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Jan 2016 14:29

Time for a bit of discussion on this maybe ...

There's a few of using Zwift now - I was wondering what we think about it?

As far as I'm concerned - and I'm speaking as someone who hated the turbo - I now almost look forward to my weekly spin round the island.

Next step is to join a group ride and maybe try Workout mode.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Jan 2016 18:41

Overall I think its quite good and pretty easy to pass away a couple of hours without to much problem. The workouts are also worth a bash and so too are the group rides. That said, they can develop into a bit of a free for all and just like in real life if you lose a wheel, its dam hard to get back on! I'd love to try it with a "smart" trainer, a whole new level again I would expect?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 22 Jan 2016 21:54

I ride it with a smart trainer and whilst it's good...it's not perfect by any means. The resistance is too light at the moment and I can easily spin out in top gear on the flats on my CX bike (which I use for turbo work at 46x11 top end). Zwift has said they are going to introduce a resistance slider for smart trainers so people can up the effort, as it can be real hard on group rides to hold the wheel if you can not put out the wattage due to the current limitations.

I've programmed a few workouts and so far they are good and easy to create and use. They seem to be adding more routes and a mountain route will soon be available.

The only problem I've noticed on group rides is the prevalence of weight doping. Zwift calculates your speed based upon your W/Kg so cheaters just drop their weight in their Bio and thus can zoom about. Seems pointless to me, but cheaters will cheat....

I didn't see the value in taking a subscription until the most recent update, but I have now signed up and look forward to seeing what they can come up with as the product progresses.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Jan 2016 10:19

I splashed out on a smart trainer (TACX Vortex) and it works really well with Zwift. The range of resistance is OK for me and it models the terrain very realistically. I keep getting caught out not changing down early enough for some of the ramps though.

The figure of eight is a nice idea and I'm looking forward to the rumoured mountain route. I tend to avoid Richmond - the views are better on the island.

I'm in the free period at the moment but I'll probably subscribe until 'fair weather' arrives.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 23 Jan 2016 18:39

After using free trial & upgrading to smart trainer (tacx vortex) I've now subscribed to zwift. Mostly impressed with it, tried a few group rides & a few laps of a race- can be flippin difficult to keep up with fast guys (maybe they're just really fit James rather than weight doping although I suspect a mix of both). I've not tried any structured workouts on it yet, I still use trainer road for that. Riding on zwift certainly helps relieve boredom of indoor riding & even when just riding around solo it's not unusual to end up riding with others of a similar level.
I think they could improve the interaction with strata maybe by making it possible to search for any riders you follow on strava within the zwift game or even to notify you if any are on zwift.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 23 Jan 2016 19:22

Martin, they are introducing a feature where you can "follow" riders based upon their name and you will get a notification if they are present at the same time as you. I suspect they will at some point do some sort of club group and possibly allow for Club jersey submission.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Jan 2016 20:43

martin mc wrote:I think they could improve the interaction with strata maybe by making it possible to search for any riders you follow on strava within the zwift game or even to notify you if any are on zwift.
As James says, you can 'follow' riders and you can also have 'favourites' among those that you follow. You get notified when one of your favourites starts a ride (it actually works too). The problem is the only way you can follow a rider is by clicking on them during a ride which makes it tricky and a bit random. I happened to spot James one day and tagged him. The good news is they are working on a search facility so you can find riders by name instead.

Incidentally, I usually ride Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Jan 2016 20:45

jdtate101 wrote: and possibly allow for Club jersey submission.
Apparently they will do this but at the moment they are concentrating on making Zwift better, new courses etc.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Jan 2016 20:54

Well done, Martin - setting an example by wearing your virtual helmet.

Anyone done a metric century yet? Not sure if I could manage 3+ hours even with a tea stop or two.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 23 Jan 2016 21:11

Andy Terry wrote:Well done, Martin - setting an example by wearing your virtual helmet.

Anyone done a metric century yet? Not sure if I could manage 3+ hours even with a tea stop or two.
Not managed or targeted a century yet although I understand you unlock a new kit if you do. I never ride without a helmet Andy so why differ in real world? Do I understand from this that you can search for a rider now?

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 23 Jan 2016 21:13

martin mc wrote:
Andy Terry wrote:Well done, Martin - setting an example by wearing your virtual helmet.

Not managed or targeted a century yet although I understand you unlock a new kit if you do. I never ride without a helmet Andy so why differ in real world? Do I understand from this that you can search for a rider now?
Or thinking about it is that from virtual photo on strava. Most folks not on zwift will be totally confused by now.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Jan 2016 21:23

martin mc wrote:Or thinking about it is that from virtual photo on strava. Most folks not on zwift will be totally confused by now.
Yes, from a Zwift snapshot.

Search not available yet. Best you can do is use the phone app and scan down the list of riders looking for people you know.

Mention the whale - that really will confuse them.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Mar 2016 18:41

That was a nice surprise - the much-anticipated Watopia mountain extension opened today. The new loop is 17.9 km (20.7 if you do the 'Cime de la Bonette' summit). I rode it anti-clockwise and the main climb is about 6km at 6%.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2016 19:25

Rode part of it a few moments ago, awesome!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 31 Mar 2016 23:59

I've ridden the new mountain section on zwift this week & am very impressed. Very similar to alpine climbing with a smart trainer if perhaps a little short. Ideally suited to perhaps 20 minute or so training efforts at or just below threshold.
Also found a way to avoid riding the Richmond course altogether & always select Watopia http://zwiftblog.com/world-tag/
Riding Watopia when most zwift users are on Richmond means it's very sparsely populated & the KOM jerseys are much easier to come by, I picked up 3 this evening. It's almost a shame now that the days are getting long again & weather is improving.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Apr 2016 08:29

I was hoping to give the new "Pretzel" route a go, but my subscription expires on 5th April and I wont be renewing until the Autumn now I don't think?

HERE

Like you say Martin, its almost a shame that the sun has come out.....