Majorca trip

Discussion about any other rides & touring

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley

Trevmadone

Majorca trip

Post by Trevmadone » 13 Mar 2022 21:50

Hi all, Iam interested in a trip to majorca and looking to find out any relevant information, best places to go, stay, good companies, bike tours, what time of Yr, anyone been etc. This will be first visit so really looking for some guidance

rdleaper

Re: Majorca trip

Post by rdleaper » 14 Mar 2022 19:17

I've been a few times (alone or in a group) and am going again mid-May. Port de Pollensa around April/May or October is good; lots of good quality roads and cycle lanes. Some of the roads can get busy though (especially towards the Formentor lighthouse). Bike hire around 120-150 Euros for a week seems good value when it costs around that much to take your own, so that's what I've done. Most hotels are bike friendly - I've stayed at Mar Calma and Hotel Eolo right in the centre, but not had problems with late night noise. Not done any tours, just got to know the local roads over time and looked up a few places/climbs online. There are flat roads heading SE through Alcudia towards Arta and towards the centre of the island, but hills/mountains from Formentor right down the north-west coast to Andratx, so terrain to suit any/all.

I've also been to Magaluf area in October (clubs closed for the winter by then!); roads are much quieter although some are poor quality. East of the island looks a decent choice too with a mix of flat and hills.

Enjoy if you take the plunge; it's a great place to ride!

Si_Walker

Re: Majorca trip

Post by Si_Walker » 25 Mar 2022 21:29

Trevor, Ive just got back from Mallorca, had a Monday to Friday stay at the Pollensa Park and Spa Hotel in Porto de Pollensa. I can recommend this place as the food and accommodation was excellent, I used a Jet2 package which was very reasonable. They have a bike garage and there are plenty of places to hire a bike in the area, including across the road from the hotel. I used The Bike Experience which has an online web site and is located about 1/5 km away from the hotel. I hired a Giant Advanced (there are others to choose from) which was Ok and did 4 rides. The lighthouse ride, Ca Collabra, a flatish route to Mannacor and a ride to the Selva Gorge. The weather wasn't great as it was damp and chilly but had a good time. There is a web site for further general information, https://www.cyclinglocations.com/mallorca-routes/, but I've also got some routes on 'RidewithGPS' and you might see the rides I did on Strava. PM me if you want any further info.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club