3/4 Cat Road Races 2012

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Doug Brum

3/4 Cat Road Races 2012

Post by Doug Brum » 19 Jan 2012 15:18

Here are a list of the 3/4 Cat races I'm thinking of entering next year. Don't know what other people have planned? I don't fancy entering the Curbourough circuit races as the circuit last year was ropey. There are still a load to go on the calendar-the Stourport Series dates on Tuesday evening (which we are helping with) haven't gone on yet. Also I haven't seen the South Shropshire Thursday night races, which Jon and Gareth usually do, on the BC calendar:

24 Mar 12

Victoria Park Criterium 2012 View races
Warwickshire
Closed Circuit

8 Apr 12
Two Counties Road Race View races
Shropshire
Road

14 Apr 12

Victoria Park Criterium 2012 View races
Warwickshire
Closed Circuit

22 Apr 12

Gerry Hughes Memorial Road Race View races
Worcestershire
Road

29 Apr 12

Birmingham Circuit Races View races
Birmingham
Closed Circuit

13 May

Halesowen A&CC Road Race 2012
Part of Series: West Midlands League View races
Stourport-on-severn
Road

27 May 12

Climb on Bikes Spring Road Race 2012 View races
Herefordshire
Road

6 Jun 12
Concorde Road Race No 1 View races
Wishaw
Road

10 Jun 12

Stourbridge CC Road Race View races
Stourport-on-severn

13 Jun 12
Concorde Road Race No 2 View races
Wishaw
Road

17 Jun 12

Stafford Grand Prix View races
Stafford
Road

20 Jun 12

Concorde Road Race No.3 View races
Wishaw
Road

8 Jul 12

Paramount CRT Summer Bontrager Road Race View races
Telford
Road

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 19 Jan 2012 15:42

AGM for the South Staffs league is tonight. Myself, Julia and hopefully Gareth will be attending to try and get affiliation to the series. I expect the race details will go on BC shortly after the AGM.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 19 Jan 2012 17:58

Vic Park is good, but can be a crash-fest - the Concorde and Birmingham CC events (assuming they are still out near the airport) are good. Good luck with your season.
It's all about the bike.

mike mac

Post by mike mac » 23 Jan 2012 18:40

Hi Doug

Am thinking of dipping my toes in this year. Staying upright and injury free will be the goal!!

I'm looking at the 4th Cat only stuff so the Victoria Crits and Birmingham Crit.

Could do with some tips on training and tactics etc if you'd like to help?

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Jan 2012 20:46

Im also looking to give some 4th cats a go IF I can find the time to crank up more regular longer training rides.

So some (at least one!) of the following:

March
Sun 4th def doing Mad March Hare
Sat 24th Victoria Park

April
Sun 29th Birmingham Circuit Races

May
Tues 15th Stourport
Tues 29th Stourport

June
Weds 6th Concorde
Tues 12th Stourport
Weds 13th Concorde
Weds 20th Concorde
Tues 26th Stourport

July
Tues 10th Stourport
Tues 24th Stourport

August
Tues 7th Stourport

I also would be happy to hear any tactics and practical tips. Im just wanting to give it a go this year to see if I enjoy and how far off the pace I am. I went to watch the Birmingham Circuit 4th Cat last year and it looked pretty tough going!

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 24 Jan 2012 09:50

'Tactics' is perhaps a bit advanced for 4th cat racing (not to be dismissive) but if you haven't raced before:
1. The race will start fast and then slow down - so hang on in there for the first few laps.
2. Crashes are not inevitable but you are best to place yourself as far up the pack as possible to avoid getting caught up in anything that does happen.
3. In crits a more technical circuit could be safer - Vic Park for example is a big flat egg shaped loop so people don't get dropped even if they aren't that experienced. Racing on circuits with lots of tight corners can sort out the better bike handlers...

There's every chance that it'll end in a bunch sprint. If there is going to be a crash it might well be in the last lap. Personally when I was starting out I used to sit up once the bell went on the basis i'd be aiming to stick the pace for the length of the race and didn't want to get caught up in any last lap chaos...!
It's all about the bike.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 24 Jan 2012 10:23

John Sanderson wrote:Vic Park is good, but can be a crash-fest.........
I well remember Fabian's nasty crash there - that wasn't a happy day for Beacon road-racers as I recall, John, was it?

Ruth

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 25 Jan 2012 10:32

I well remember Fabian's nasty crash there - that wasn't a happy day for Beacon road-racers as I recall, John, was it?
I think I raced there 5 times or so, doing 2 30K races each time, and saw an accident in every single race I was in. Fabians accident was particularly nasty - and rather upsetting to see!
It's all about the bike.

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 25 Jan 2012 11:03

Having seen the blood bath at vic park a couple of times, if i was racing i would much prefer to go to Mallory Park anyday. A very nice place with a wide track and super smooth tarmac.......what more could you want.

The only downside is the 110 mile round trip from Rubery

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 25 Jan 2012 11:11

I raced there once, NEVER again unless you like an season ending injury, or are very lucky.
The bin on the final corner always looked really nasty.
Go and do the Darley Moor ones instead if you early season crits, much better circuit and more fun...40mph on the back straight, turn corner, 5mph :D

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 27 Jan 2012 12:29

Ed.........Sounds like you had a very bad experience at Mallory Park. To be honest, when i took Philip there a few times, he really enjoyed it. The only comment he made, was that he found the tight chicane (The Bustop) between Shaws Hairpin and Devils Elbow a bit tricky. The problem being that Devils Elbow is only a few yards after, and means getting up to max speed 35-40 mph which takes one hell of a lot to do in a few yards.

NB I don't recall the bin you mention, and the bend (the esses) before the finish is very easy

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 28 Jan 2012 08:55

Post was about Viccy Park, Malllory is good fun but I always preferred Darley Moor or Curdborough.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 29 Jan 2012 20:03

Are the shrewsbury circuit races still going?

They were always a good early season test for your legs on a safe-ish circuit.

Doug Brum

Post by Doug Brum » 30 Jan 2012 12:25

I road concorde and birmingham circuit last year and they weren't bad-both were loops on quiet open roads but both had some tightish corners. Stourport is quite good but it does have 2 banked hairpins that can get a bit squashed. I didn't like the curbourough track at all.
My I only did 2 4th Cat races last year-the rest were 3 and 4. A lot of races end up in a bunch sprint but you do get breaks. I found that the 3/4 races were faster and the bunches tighter packed. You'll be finding your feet in the first few just staying in the bunch and getting used it.
I think it's all about positioning and tactics-too far back and you miss what is going on and can end up chasing on all the time but to far forward and you can knacker yourself out in the wind. The other thing was following the right wheels-if you get boxed in you can't respond or not get out when riders come around. Being familiar with the course is also good-where to break or start the sprint.
Having spoken and raced with Jon and Gareth helped-watching where they positioned themselves, wheels they followed, how they broke etc. They have raced loads-it seems to be the more races you do the more experineced you become and the better you race.

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Feb 2012 20:25

Just seen the Birmingham Circuit Race which would prob have been my first ever 4th cat race clashes with the Little Mountain Time Trial! I like the hills and would like a time on the board to compare with next year so think I will do the time trial.

Would the people recommend the stourport or concorde as a first race?

Cheers

Tim

Doug Brum

Post by Doug Brum » 21 Mar 2012 22:23

I've booked the following, as you can do it on line via the BC website:
14 April-Vic Park
29 April-Birmingham Circuit races
All 3 Concorde CC races at Wishaw

Will definatley do a few Stourport Tuesdays as well. I'll see how I'm going before I enter anymore!
D