LMTT

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Tim

LMTT

Post by Tim » 08 Mar 2012 21:43

Just entered. Looking at past results, seeing Jon Rice post 2hrs1mins in 2010 has me worried that it will be a tough couple of hours (plus some) for me! Ruth feel free to decline my entry.

Although if I do zero training, forget any idea of sourcing some tri-bars and dont reccy the course I may have a shot at most improved rider next year!?

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 09 Mar 2012 17:49

Thanks for your entry Tim - there's no chance of me declining your entry unless another 129 riders enter too! I have had a few entries so far but if past experience is anything to go by they will start to come in more rapidly in the next couple of weeks.

Don't take any notice of Jon's time in 2010 - he's ageing like a good wine - getting better every year!

Anyway, hoping to get lots more entries from Beacon members. This is THE timetrial of the year, unlike any other, so if you're only going to do one timetrial, make it this one! (And if you don't fancy racing your help on the day will definitely be needed - everyone will hear more about that later.)

Ruth

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 09 Mar 2012 18:22

Agreed. Every Beacon member should do it at least once.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 14 Mar 2012 11:40

I may become less biased when i've ridden a few more 'mountain' TTs, which I intend to do this year, but frankly i'd go so far as to say that TTs should ONLY be about events like the LMTT. Something so epic makes pan flat dual carriageway PB chasing seem like an irrelevance to me! :lol:

Perhaps it's because the grand tour and Worlds TTs usually seem more like the sporting TTs?
It's all about the bike.

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 Mar 2012 22:08

Looking forward to it! Stumbled across this good article: http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/t ... ial-21590/

Think I will be entering the "Roadman" category so on standard road bike.
Out of interest has anyone done on normal road bike and full timetrial bike/kit, what's the rough time saving?

Have tweaked my commute to work this week so it's now 10miles each way instead of 7.5, this extra 25miles of training per week is bound to knock 20mins off my time, isnt it?

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 15 Mar 2012 22:26

Thanks for reminding me about that article Tim. Incidentally, Jeff Jones who wrote it returned in 2011 and came second.

It would be worth looking at his time in 2009 because he did it on a road bike that year although I should think he may have challenged for a podium spot if he'd been on a TT bike, as was proved in 2011.

Anyway, I think the website is all updated now and the latest list of entries received can be found under 'Start List'. I'll refresh the list as often as I can over the coming weeks.

In case anyone is interested, from 2008-2011 we received entries from 269 different people representing 91 different clubs. 45 Beacon members have entered the event in that time period.

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 17 Mar 2012 18:09

My times as stated were Roadman. I wouldnt worry about the pointy lid and skinsuit Tim. It really isnt going to make a fat lot of difference. For instance a pointy lid isnt very aero if its point is skywards which is difficult not to do if not on tribars. I try to adopt a semi tt position, when possible ,hands on bar tops as close in as poss, elbows in tight. This does make a difference imho.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 18 Mar 2012 19:32

As it's your first go just go and I'm not sure how much racing you have done, so assuming not much (?) then just do it on a road bike and get to know the course.

TT bike and everything else is the fastest way to ride the course, the first lap/hour is fairly flat anyway, second half is the hard bit, but still faster to do on a TT bike.
I found the best way up Ankerdine was in the TT position, and just grind away.

Hardest bit is the last 4 miles, it's very, very tough if you have overcooked the ride earlier, make sure you finish strong, otherwise you will loose minutes....and those bloody signs...can we put them on the Beacon bonfire on the 5th :twisted:

Tim

Post by Tim » 19 Mar 2012 04:14

Cheers for the wise words. Yes plan is just to give it a go and enjoy it.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 26 Mar 2012 23:02

There's an update of the entries received to date here

Ruth

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 09 Apr 2012 10:19

Steve has put another update of entries on the website at the link above.

90 entries so far, 16 of them from women. An excellent position to be in at this stage.

With another week to go before the closing date we could, with a bit of luck, have a full field of 120 riders. Don't wait to get your entry in if you're still thinking of riding and if you haven't yet volunteered to help then please give your name to Dave Cole who is Chief Marshal. We really do need all the help we can muster for this event.

Ruth

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 14 Apr 2012 20:11

I'm off to recce the course tomorrow (15th Apr) to see what I'm letting myself in for! If anyone fancies joining me, I plan to be at Great Witley at about 09.30.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 15 Apr 2012 18:07

Grogz wrote:I'm off to recce the course tomorrow (15th Apr) to see what I'm letting myself in for! If anyone fancies joining me, I plan to be at Great Witley at about 09.30.
And now I know. Nice to experience a couple of surprise nasty hills and what the wind can be like. As there's no chance of changing the latter, let's hope we have less of the former on the day. :lol:

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 18 Apr 2012 15:35

The closing date for the Little Mountain TT was yesterday and I have 133 entries. That means that 120 riders will go on the main start sheet and 13 riders will be put down as reserves. Anyone who had any previous performance in a TT on their entry will not be a reserve but those people for whom this is their first TT-ing experience may find that they have to wait for someone to 'DNS' before they are given a starting time. I'm afraid this applies to several Beacon members who have entered. Last time we had to have reserves all the reserves were allocated a start time before the day - so with a bit of luck nobody will go without a ride but unfortunately some will have to live with a bit of uncertainty over whether/when they will start.

I'll be getting the official start sheet prepared and printed in the next 48 hours and riders who have entered should receive it on Saturday or Monday at the latest. Beacon members and friends who are helping or marshalling at the event will get a copy too but not until the middle of next week.

Ruth

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Apr 2012 22:30

Final list of entries received is available at

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html
Eat cake before you're hungry

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 19 Apr 2012 15:00

Any recent previous winners on there? I didn't see any 'big' names that I recongised from a quick glance - not that I know the TT scene that well...
It's all about the bike.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 20 Apr 2012 10:47

Rebecca Slack and Matt Clinton, last year's winners are returning, along with Dave Griffiths who was 3rd last year, Danny Axford who was 5th and Steve Berry who as 6th.

The standard of the 18 women riders is extremely high too - Anna Fischer was National Hill Climb Champ a few years ago, Louise Robinson is a former World medallist at cyclocross and record holder at the Three Peaks Cyclocross, Lauren Creamer will also be familiar to the 'cross and road riders - and Rebecca herself is current National 100-mile Champion.

Look out for Jake Womersley who is only a junior but he is the grandson of Brian Robinson (and Louise's nephew) and he's one of the up and coming top juniors nationally. Maybe not a 'big name' yet but he could be in the future!

Ruth

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 25 Apr 2012 15:17

Steve has uploaded the start sheet, prize list and updated notes for competitors on the website now.

All the helpers and marshals should get a copy of the start booklet in the post in the next day or so.

See you all on Sunday!

Ruth

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Apr 2012 19:48

Stupidly just checked BBC Website, 8am: "Heavy Rain, 5degrees, 23mph NE wind!" Can't be any worse than mad march hare?!

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » 28 Apr 2012 21:14

Tim wrote:Stupidly just checked BBC Website, 8am: "Heavy Rain, 5degrees, 23mph NE wind!" Can't be any worse than mad march hare?!
It won't be an easy ride!!!

Then again, I did a solo four hour ride on the day of the Mad March Hare and that was pretty horrendous.

Good luck and enjoy yourself - some nice scenary - not that you'll be taking it in.

Between Peaks

Post by Between Peaks » 28 Apr 2012 22:14

Make sure you leave plenty in the tank for the last 3 miles - not much fun at the best of times . . . .

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Apr 2012 22:53

Thanks, its going to be interesting!

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 29 Apr 2012 10:08

I decided yesterday not to ride having seen the forecast. Given that a tree has just blown down in my neighbours garden, the right choice I think.
Hope everybody stays safe.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 29 Apr 2012 17:34

Well, that was an experience! When I tried the course two weeks ago, it was very windy. Scratch that, a bit windy.

I confess to being apprehensive about today's conditions and had worried about it on Saturday. This morning was no better and I half expected (hoped?) to reach Great Witley to be told the TT was off. But no. What to do? Start, you wimp. Maybe complete the first loop back to the HQ and bail out if it was too much?

Ten minutes before I reached the bail out point I'd decided to do just that. But coming up to the HQ, feeling had returned to my fingers and I felt better with the wind behind me. Might as well carry on...

The fast decent to Stanford Bridge was exciting with flowing surface water, debris and destabilising gusts. The Garmin trace shows 55.8kph today against 63.4kph two weeks ago, so more carefully.

A slow drag up Stanford Bank (measured by calendar rather than stopwatch); horrible cross/headwinds and surface water along the A44 around Brockhampton; Ankerdine (!); horrible drag into the wind from Martley to the finish. Feels so great to finish! Painful thawing of fingers and toes; coffee, cake and relaxing massage. Job done.

Thanks to Ruth and her little helpers, with particular mentions for the HQ ladies who kept me topped up with coffee and cake at the end and for the marshals who stood in the wind and rain for over 4 hours, which must have been colder than riding.

Will I be back next year???

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 29 Apr 2012 18:53

Harlech triathlon had to be abandoned due to ultra high cross winds, and extreme cold conditions for marshalls on the beach!! So well done to all organisers and riders for enduring an extreme weather day at the LMTT.

I had a good swim, and battled through the 27k ride nearly being blown off many times. 1hr 4;37 later got back to transition only to be told it had been abandoned. :(

Carbon deep section wheels were very dicey for many riders, and quite a few riders were blown off or crashed on wet roads.
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 29 Apr 2012 18:55

Grogz wrote:Will I be back next year???
Going faster next year after today's conditions should be a piece of cake. That Best Improvement prize could be yours for the taking........

Ruth

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Apr 2012 19:57

Really enjoyed today (for the most part). Was truly challenging weather conditions and I too was seriously considering stopping when passing HQ, the only thing giving me some confidence was the fact no-one had passed me (which I think was due to many riders not starting!).

I am really happy with my time as the last 7miles took me 50minutes! I had problem with my gears, dropped chain 5/6 times, including on first timed climb and then 3 or 4 times in last 3 miles which was pretty annoying at the time. Think the rivers I rode through took its toll on my bike.

"make sure you leave something for last 3 miles" this unfortunately was the opposite of what happended! I really struggled to get up the second timed climb was getting v cold by this point and thought I may have to get off to walk, then just after a right turn/just before 3 miles to go marker, I totally cramped up in both thighs, couldnt unclip and fell into the grass verge!! Luckily I was out of sight of anyone and I was fine and managed to get back on after a bit of stretching and finish. Could hardlly hold a cup of coffee due to shivering and so decided to head off home straight away to try and warm up. I've posted a thank you to marshals in members lounge link, dont know how they stayed out there, amazing!

Looking forward to pushing you for the most improved rider next year Greg!

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 29 Apr 2012 19:59

I reckon there will be plenty of competition for the most improved time next year!

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 29 Apr 2012 20:10

cracking moody pic ed 8)
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Apr 2012 20:37

Yep great pic

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 29 Apr 2012 22:14

Yes - a stunning picture, Ed.

Ruth

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 30 Apr 2012 09:36

Thanks to everyone for putting on yestedays race - standing out marshalling in that rain must have been no picnic! Seeing riders coming in to the HQ having finished I felt a bit ashamed that I climbed off at the end of the first lap - but my big aim for the race had been to go round in under 2 hours and with little hope of that every ache from the cold seemed magnified!

Let's hope it's better weather in 2013!
It's all about the bike.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 Apr 2012 09:38

All I can say struth!

Well done to all.

Great pictures from George and Ed that convey the "event's atmosphere", if that is the correct phrase to use.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 30 Apr 2012 10:59

Respect to everyone who turned out yesterday to ride, organise or help out. There aren't many days I feel glad to be stuck at home, but yesterday was one. Well done.
Graham

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 30 Apr 2012 12:42

Is there a link to George's pics somewhere?
It's all about the bike.

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 30 Apr 2012 12:56

Go to Beacon Twitter for George's pix.
ALC

RichK

Post by RichK » 30 Apr 2012 12:59

A huge thanks to all involved with running the LMTT again this year you all deserve a medal (notably the marshalls out on the course).

It was a long & difficult decision (only taken on the way to Great Witley) not to ride but the conditions were beyond that which I'd have been comfortable tackling.
There is no secret ingredient

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 30 Apr 2012 20:07

One more, will print the rest when I get time.

Ankerdine

George

Post by George » 30 Apr 2012 20:32

John Sanderson wrote:Is there a link to George's pics somewhere?
Ruth will be sending prints to competitors, John. They will be a mixture of my pictures and Paul Deane's.

I haven't seen Paul's yet, but my own weren't very clever, and I failed to get a decent one of a good few people. So don't expect too much!

I haven't posted digital images on line (apart from a handful of scene-setters on Twitter) because I didn't want to interfere with whatever Ruth has planned. I'm not sure whether she intends to make the full set available on line as well as sending prints.

George

Post by George » 30 Apr 2012 20:36

Am I going nuts? I've read that text ten times and I can't see what's wrong with the syntax of that link that refuses to be a link. Doesn't it work with https or something?

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 30 Apr 2012 20:42

Here's how it felt for me. http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/2 ... amp-squib/

A big disappointment considering i'd had big hopes for this years event - but i'll be back!!! I can only hope Gary Mackintosh was wrong - and that I am not cursed never to break 2 hours!!
It's all about the bike.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Apr 2012 21:03

George - Your URL included a character than traditionally one wouldn't find in a URL and which confused the message board.

John - I enjoyed your write up in a sadistic sort of way, better luck next year.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 30 Apr 2012 21:37

Gee, Ed, you're not bad at taking snaps are you?

John - I'm trying to work out whether your write-up is good publicity for the event or bad publicity. Great writing though, whatever!

I should have said before that I have one item of lost property left behind at the HQ - a red Berghaus waterproof jacket. I can't see any size marked on it but it is fairly small, would fit me nicely and it might end up doing so if no one claims it!

Ruth

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 01 May 2012 12:40

Well done team Beacon. And well done in particular to Steve for getting a time under two hours in appalling conditions.

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 01 May 2012 13:53

Brilliant & entertaining write up John. Captured the torment just right!!
I've shared it on my Facebook page, hope you don't mind.
Reading your previous blog about your ongoing battle with the LMTT was also a great read. There truly is something special about this event which attracts us back for more pain!
As my own first target event of the season it's also become a bit of a nemesis. Any hopes of a PB were resigned by Saturday afternoon if I'm honest, and on the day it became purely a fight of survival. Ascending Ankerdine (just!) I thought at one point it was possible to slip in under the 2hr mark, but then THAT head wind hit, and literally slowed down time!! Crawling along those final few miles seemed to take an eternity.
But yes, we will be back.
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 01 May 2012 21:44

Sorry for the delay putting up my photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1077243242 ... 4LfD78XHIw

I'm afraid I don't have rider's numbers Ruth but I presume that can be sorted.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 01 May 2012 21:52

Wow Paul, there are some superb photos in there. How did you manage to capture so many smiles? It was pouring with rain and those guys were just about to set off to ride 39 hilly miles!

Ruth

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 01 May 2012 22:08

Fantastic photos, Paul. The pushers-off did a great job of keeping everyone's spirits up, lots of joshing. In the ridiculous conditions, it was great to start with a laugh.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 01 May 2012 22:40

How did you manage to capture so many smiles?
There was certainly a great buzz around at the start with most putting on a brave face before they went into the unknown. Now I understand what gallows humour is. Wish I could have been there from the off. It got a bit trickier with time as I had to keep looking at my camera to see what my fingers were doing, having by then lost all feeling in my hands!