Wyre Forest CC Stourport Crit 15/05/2012 4th Cat

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

mike mac

Wyre Forest CC Stourport Crit 15/05/2012 4th Cat

Post by mike mac » 16 May 2012 08:18

Gary Mac, Doug and myself turned up along with about 25 other riders for this one last night. This was the first time I'd raced on this circuit and i couldn't believe the two hairpin bends. There's sure to be a crash on one of those, I thought. The wind was a big factor too as the field got strung out very early on.

Gary pulled up half way through, I assume with some sort of mechanical but I didn't see him afterwards to ask. Doug and I were doing ok and conserving energy in the middle of the field, when the guy immediately in front of us went down on one of the hairpins. By the time we had braked hard and taken evasive action to avoid hitting the deck ourselves, the bunch had gone.

We tried to bridge the gap to get back on but only Doug and myself were willing to do any work on the front of the newly formed second bunch. We managed to peg the gap, we just couldn't bridge it.

Doug won the sprint in the second group to take 11th. After some idiot started bumping and barging I decided to sit up and not risk it, after all we weren't sprinting for points.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 May 2012 09:46

A brilliant account of the rough and tumble, Mike. Poor old Gary, he is not having much luck this season.