RESULT: Mallory Park Crit

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

mike mac

RESULT: Mallory Park Crit

Post by mike mac » 26 May 2012 20:17

Lee Marrow and myself took a trip over to Mallory Park on Thursday evening to race the 4th Cat Crit.

It was Lee's first race after a 20 YEAR absence and also his first of the season. It was the first time either of us had raced at Mallory park.

The weather was fab, although the track was exposed which created a strong head wind on the back straight. The surface of the track was superb and with wide sweeping bends it also meant there were no crashes to report. For the first time this season!

The racing was quick averaging just over 24mph for the 20 laps/25 miles. Lee had a fantastic night and finished 3rd, whilst I came in 11th.

I'd definitely race there again, can't wait to get back there to be honest. If there are any first time road racers who want to give it ago i'd recommend Mallory Park for your first race. Much safer than some of the others.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 26 May 2012 20:55

Well done, guys.

ForeverProvence

Post by ForeverProvence » 28 May 2012 15:50

You've brought back memories. I raced at Mallory Park in 2004 and recall spinning out a 53x12 on the down slope after the chicane.
You're right about the wind: the course is situated on a hill and it always seems to be windy there, hits you like a wall.
Eddy Merckx, when asked for his advice to younger riders who wanted to become professionals: ''Ride lots.''

gmac

Post by gmac » 28 May 2012 22:09

Yes well done the Beacon are looking good in the road racing stakes this season.
Every time I look at the message board someone new is racing which is great news.

Gary

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 May 2012 21:19

Im looking to do a first road race this year, this sounds v decent. so let me know what dates you might be going over again.

I just want to get a taste of what a circuit race involves this year so ideally wnat to do at least one and then give a few more a go next year after more training. If I can find the time it would be good to do this as a first and then try stourport too

Wanting to avoid the crashing if possible, although at 24mph average I may avoid it quite easily as I may well be out the back!!

mike mac

Post by mike mac » 30 May 2012 10:22

Tim

Having ridden a few circuit races now and also a Road Race, I can say the safest Circuit so far is Mallory Park, but its also the fastest and blustery. It's like a big interval training session.

Although the Road Race was a lumpier course and a lot longer (57 miles) and faster (25.5mph avg with top speeds of 40+mph on the flat) it seemed to suit me better.

As for "ideally wnat to do at least one and then give a few more a go next year after more training" - You can not possibly replicate the effort in training that is needed for a race, therefore I would recommend that you just get in there and use the races as training. You'll probably do better than you think and be bitten by the bug anyway.

4th CAT races are at Mallory Park every Thursday at 19:00. I should be there this week, depending on work commitments.

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 May 2012 20:59

Thanks Mike. Im away next couple of weeks with work but hopefully will make it after that. What's the story on race license and entry, do you need to do both before or can I just get a provisional license and enter on night? Ive got gold membership on british cycling but not a license yet

mike mac

Post by mike mac » 01 Jun 2012 08:05

You can pay extra (£5, i think) on the night for a provisional license but you won't get any points, i don't think.

If you are going to do a lot of racing then buying a license will be more cost effective, but if you want to try before you buy then just pay a bit extra on the night.

Entry is on the night only, 1st come 1st served although you'll always get on so no need to worry. Entry fee is £10.

Just turn up, pay and race!

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 01 Jun 2012 08:25

[What's the story on race license and entry, do you need to do both before or can I just get a provisional license and enter on night? Ive got gold membership on british cycling but not a license yet]

Tim,
Good to hear your going to have a go. Race entry varies but is generally EOL (Enter on Line), on the day in other words for Crits, and Pre Entry for Road Races.
You can apply to BC for a racing license, £32 for senior I think. These always expire on 31st December. It is a BC requirment that your membership remains current for the full period of the licence so worth ringing BC if that wouldnt be the case and they will likely extend your membership at pro-rata rate.
You can race on a single day licence the cost varies according to your membership status and race category. I think on a gold mem. this would be £5 or possibly free in some cases.
I`ve taken this info from the handbook but worth a quick call to BC to clarify.
Good luck.

Tim

Post by Tim » 03 Jun 2012 21:34

Thanks Mike/Jon for the advice

Well Ive entered the Beacon Stourport 4th cat race on Sunday 15th July so will aim towards that.
family/work commitment dependent will try to get to mallory or stourport around that. Seen basic info for Redditch town centre Go race/4th cat race on Saturday 30th June which sounds interesting too.

Cheers

Tim