1st Race at Stourport yesterday

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Tim

1st Race at Stourport yesterday

Post by Tim » 16 Jul 2012 20:41

Really enjoyed my first race yesterday, big thanks to all the marshalls/organisers and beacon supporters.

Can anyone tell me though did I finish 14th or 28th or somewhere in between?! Was so busy trying to hang on to front group that I lost track of how many people were behind me although I do know there were at least 2! Think I only got lapped by 2 people but not 100% sure!?

Found the pace OK for first 20minutes but once we'd been going 20-30mins I started tiring and so once I was at the back it was only a matter of time until the cord snapped.

Was quite pleased with my sprint at finish to (I think) just beat a concorde rcc rider on the line, even if this may have only been for 28th place?!

The main thing I need to work on is going fast round a right hand bend, think I lost about 15metres twice a lap on the two tight corners!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Jul 2012 20:54

Well done whatever position you finished in Tim. The Commissionaire commented the pace was higher than a recent elite / cat1 race there.

I had a few goes at the tightest bend before the races, took me 5 attempts before I did it without braking and that was using the full width of the track on entry and exit. I was expecting some argy bargy there in the race but was impressed at how everybody kept their line all the way round.

Are you having another go next week?
Eat cake before you're hungry

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 16 Jul 2012 20:56

Tim, What number were you ?
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Jul 2012 08:37

Thanks, yes was reassuring to hear it was a fast pace.

I was Number 5

Had hoped to be there again next week but its looking like I may be in Brighton with work.

Definately hope to be a regular next year, seeing these new cat 3s is a good motivator

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 17 Jul 2012 16:22

Tim, an indication of the speeds, CAT4's normally lap around 2.10, Elites around 2.06 and sunday we clocked the leaders towards the end at 1.56, the fastest lap we've seen down there !

gmac

Post by gmac » 17 Jul 2012 17:32

Tim you should try racing Stourport on Tuesdays theres normaly a few Beacon members racing.
Greg Dighton and I will be there next week.
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... mit=Search
Also give Mallory a go.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... mit=Search

Gary

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Jul 2012 22:09

I actually didn't feel the pace was that quick, as I was expecting to struggle to keep up from the go, I just felt that I tired badly after 30mins due to lack of training. Im mainly just doing a 30minute commute so was expecting that. So it gives me bit of confidence that if I can put more longer rides in over winter and then race regularly I might be able to get up to speed.

Looking doubtful to make any more races due to working away, wife/kids commitments and then away on holiday. But if circumstances change and I can escape I will be there next Tuesday.

Can really see how you have to be racing regularly to get up to pace. My HR averaged at 167 for the race, I find its almost impossible to work at that intensity out on your own for any duration.

Are there any races at Tudor Grange? saw a report for a cat 4 one last year but have only seen junior races promoted this year. Just I work 2minutes away from there

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 18 Jul 2012 08:15

PatBoySlim wrote:Tim, an indication of the speeds, CAT4's normally lap around 2.10, Elites around 2.06 and sunday we clocked the leaders towards the end at 1.56, the fastest lap we've seen down there !
Can't wait to get to elite level then if that's normal lap times.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 19 Jul 2012 13:00

I was assistant Commisaire at Stuorport Tuesday night, First race had an Elite rider from Node 4-Giordana who lapped all the Cat 1/2 riders.

The Cat 3/4 race had 40 entrants, but NO Beacon riders.