Help needed with the Beacon Bicicielo GP Road Race.

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Scotty

Help needed with the Beacon Bicicielo GP Road Race.

Post by Scotty » 10 Aug 2012 08:53

Help needed with the Beacon Bicicielo GP Road Race Sunday 26th Aug.

As you may or may not know over the last 4 years I have organised the Beacon Road Race with the fantastic support from members of the club. This year I have managed to secure the sponsorship of the Bicicello Consept Store. Hence the re-naming of the event to Bicicielo GP.

A big thanks to Dave Cole for offering to organise the marshals and to anyone who has offered to marshal.

Thanks also to people who have offered to drive safety cars and help out with riders sign on etc.

I am still looking for help with the following:

Second lead car and driver: this involves you driving behind the race in you own car. Petrol money will be covered. Flashing lights, Race Radio CB and temporary Safety Signs will be provided. You will have the best view of the whole race from this position. I will also provide someone to ride shot gun with you and operate the race radio.

First Aid: I need anyone with a fist aid certificate who is willing to follow the race. This is very important and without a qualified first aider the race can not take place.

Refreshments: Help needed making tea and coffee.

Photo Finish: I’m hoping that Dave Hughes and Paul Dean might be able to help out with this but if anyone has a supper duper camera and can help that would be good.

Finish Line Judges: I need about 5 people to stand on step ladders and physically spot the order that the first 15 riders cross the line.

Safety Signs: These need to be placed around the course on the morning of the event and collected in at the end. Petrol money will be covered. Who ever does this could then help out with one of the other jobs whilst the race is going on? Signs have to be out before the race so it’s an early morning job. If it helps someone can put them out and someone else collects in???

With the increasing amount of Beacon riders now road racing it is even more important that we put on a race each year and if you are one of the many riders who has raced a Stourport this year, then this is your opportunity to put something back. If no one puts a race on then there are no races!!!!!

If you can help out in any way please drop me a line gscott@redhill.dudley.sch.uk or PM me.

Gareth Scott
Race Organiser
Last edited by Scotty on 10 Aug 2012 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Northern boy's love gravy"

gmac

Post by gmac » 10 Aug 2012 11:09

I can do the signs Gareth.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 10 Aug 2012 11:32

Thanks Gary

Dave Cole has all the signs and I think he has a map of what goes where. We could try to sort that out on a Thursday evening at the club.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 10 Aug 2012 22:20

I think we now have a second car & driver

Thanks Phil

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 11 Aug 2012 12:36

I have the numbers and a box ful of racing stuff from Doug.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 17 Aug 2012 15:30

I have now managed to get someone to do the First Aid on the day. A big thanks to the BRATs for supporting us on this one. :D Underwhelmed with the response from Beacon members so far. :(

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Aug 2012 15:44

Apologies, Lisa and I are away that weekend.

George

Post by George » 17 Aug 2012 16:08

scotty wrote:Underwhelmed with the response from Beacon members so far. :(
Like Phil, I'm away Gareth. Events in July and August often meet that problem ... especially if there isn't a great deal of notice of the date. If next time around you can get some info to me a few weeks in advance, I shall be pleased to include it in the Bulletin.

However, even when an event is plugged hard well in advance, it's often necessary to talk to people individually to round up enough volunteers. That isn't a criticism of the membership who, in my experience, are generally very willing to help (despite the increasing number of calls on their time) ... it's just human nature that people don't get round to getting in touch with you.

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 17 Aug 2012 17:23

I usually help out, but I'm in Suffolk for the weekend, sorry.
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Aug 2012 18:12

If its helpful, there will be plenty of Beacon riders to collar between 7.30-9am at tomorrow's audax.

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 17 Aug 2012 18:58

Philip Whiteman wrote:If its helpful, there will be plenty of Beacon riders to collar between 7.30-9am at tomorrow's audax.
Perhaps there will but it's a lot to ask someone who's spent hours of their time organising the event to have to actively go out and recruit help. No marshals, no race ... isn't it. There are plenty of members aside from the usual organisers , George ,Phil anon you know who you are, and you do enough.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » 17 Aug 2012 20:06

Good to hear from you George and may I say it is a pleasure to have the king of the message board commenting on my thread. Next year’s race will be August Bank Holiday weekend. Have a good weekend and thanks for letting me know you’re not around.
Phil if you get chance to see any of the Beacon members in the morning let them know that any help would be useful and all the info is on the board. Thanks and good luck.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 17 Aug 2012 20:33

I'm happy to marshal. I didn't think I needed to mention that here since there's another thread saying to contact Dave Cole about marshalling but since it's been mentioned, just to confirm I'm able to help. I'd be happy to be given another job, although I don't have a car and would be cycling from the Black Horse, so that limits what I can do.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 17 Aug 2012 20:57

laurence_cooley wrote:I'm happy to marshal. I didn't think I needed to mention that here since there's another thread saying to contact Dave Cole about marshalling but since it's been mentioned, just to confirm I'm able to help. I'd be happy to be given another job, although I don't have a car and would be cycling from the Black Horse, so that limits what I can do.
Exactly what I thought, too. See Dave's post here: http://tinyurl.com/8l3oxmr

I am more than willing to marshal. I'm not confident to judge at the finish, having done this at the track racing last year and completely cocked up :oops: (luckily someone else was watching as well).

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 17 Aug 2012 21:03

Thanks guys. perhaps Dave could let us know how we are doing on the marshalls front we just need to be sure were covered.
We are very grateful for everybody's help.
Dont worry Greg I've been awarded the role of finish line judge...gulp.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Aug 2012 21:05

If I can talk Dave into letting me Marshall at Wheetley Gate as usual I'll ride down to the finish after they pass on the last lap, see if I can help out there too.

Hopefully though someone will have a good camera trained on the finish line.
Eat cake before you're hungry

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 17 Aug 2012 21:50

I've got a decent handycam that has frame by frame advance but more than one would be ideal.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 17 Aug 2012 22:04

jonnyri wrote:Thanks guys. perhaps Dave could let us know how we are doing on the marshalls front we just need to be sure were covered.
Dave wanted people to let him know this coming week if they could help, so it might be too early for this.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 19 Aug 2012 19:10

I'm back off my hols now so you can let me know if you are available to marshal. I didn't want people contacting me while I was away in case they thought it rude me not getting back to them.

I will also be contacting people by phone, email etc

Dave

My email is david.cole@bcu.ac.uk
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Aug 2012 19:32

Stick me at Wheetley Gate if possible please Dave.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Aug 2012 15:42

scotty wrote:Phil if you get chance to see any of the Beacon members in the morning let them know that any help would be useful and all the info is on the board. Thanks and good luck.
I shouted 'Achtung' at some of the Beacon members last Saturday to provide assistance. A message has also been added to our Facebook page.

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 20 Aug 2012 19:17

my apologies for not volunteering, i would if i could but the Paralympics have taken priority, best wishes to the helpers and organisers, my commitment to the club shall be better after this summer :oops:
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 26 Aug 2012 23:13

Hi, I've seen the results on BC website. Hope the accident on the first lap that we heard about while marshalling wasn't too serious.