Cyclo Cross - National Trophy - Progress Report

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

jonnyri

Cyclo Cross - National Trophy - Progress Report

Post by jonnyri » 03 Dec 2012 21:04

I decided to commit to enter the National Trophy series this year. Which I did. I decided to do some pre season cross specific training. Which I didn't. Was that a good idea. No. So no real surprise to find myself struggling a bit in both the regional and opening National rounds. Admittedly this year was and is a try out at national level so I tempered my pre season -off season- with that mitigating thought ( read excuse).

Early regional rounds saw me finishing in 6/7th ish places. A couple of classy new entrants into the already strong over 50's (Phil Roach and Mike Welburn) now meant that eight West Midland riders have commanded places in the top 15 at National level and I was getting pushed back in the regionals.

The first round at Abergavenny was daunting and I could only manage 17th.
Round two at Ipswich was a complete mudfest, as was R3, Southampton, not my favourite conditions , I prefer drier faster courses. However 13th and 14th at these kept me gridded on the second row for this last weekends chillingly frozen and sketchy ( but fast ) course up at Newcastle Upon Tyne. This, combined with my by now increasing capacity for pain, saw me fighting my way to and holding 6th place for much of the race. Admittedly I had three riders chasing me hard and a fall with a dropped chain with half a lap to go relegated me to 9th on the line. So, with 4 rounds gone I find myself lying joint 10th in the series with my closest rival of the last two years, Kevin Payton, Stourbridge cc. Hoping my form continues to improve for the seasons ultimate challenge and grand finale, the National Champs at Bradford in January.
Note to self not to binge at Xmas.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Dec 2012 21:23

Make sure you beat Kevin - I can then rib him the next time I see him.

It is great to see going well. Keep it up.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 03 Dec 2012 21:59

Nice one Jon, I reckon you'll peak at just the right time.
If the temperature stays low you should get some dry and faster courses.
Good luck.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 03 Dec 2012 22:59

Well done and good luck with a serious campaign Jon. Lot of driving for you and I suspect it takes a couple of years to get to grips with this level of competition.

George

Post by George » 04 Dec 2012 11:52

Impressive stuff, Jon ... and I'm sure you can still get better.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 05 Dec 2012 08:22

Well done John and best of luck in the National Championships

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 05 Dec 2012 12:28

Great to see you're in the top 10, John. Hang in there!

jonnyri

National Trophy and National Champs results.

Post by jonnyri » 14 Jan 2013 13:36

National Trophy

Ninth place in the penultimate round 5 took me to joint 9th overall in the series with only a smattering of points seperating myself and my closest rivals, Payton, Welburn, Webb, Cross. Ahead and behind this group there was a points seperation in excess of 20 points both ways. A good final race could if things dropped into place see a possible 8th overall final standing for me. Fingers crossed.
The last round in Derby didn't go well. A good start but then a slip early on gave my rivals a head start and tricky ground conditions and bad tyre choice as it turned out found me trying to chase back. I did manage to bring back Welburn and almost Webb at the end but it was not to be. Kevin Payton had some 15 seconds on me at the finish.
So, in at the finish, I managed 13th in the series. Happy enough but hungry for better next year.
Oli Dighton did 3 of 6 races and Greg Dighton 1 of 6 races in the series.

Final Standings

Over 50's. JR 13th, U14's Oli Dighton 21st, Juniors Greg Dighton 41st

National Championships
Sat 12th and Sun 13th January.

Held at Bradford this year this was another course I had never ridden but had seen infamously on YouTube clips. I rode the course on Friday and it was cutting up slightly but going was good for what is renowned as a heavy course.
If we had a frost that night it would be very fast on Saturday with some long downhill sections followed somewhat inevitably by some steep uphill runs. Altogether not hugely technical unless it got muddy. I elected to leave final tyre choice til the next morning and headed off to nearby Haworth where I was staying overnight with the Dightons (Oli racing), Gary Mac and Chris Hudson (marshalling). Thanks to Si and Oli for pitting for me and Gary and Chris's words of encouragent.
Gridding: Not based at all on N.trophy standings but rather on national rankings derived from points acquired in both national and regional races. This for me meant I would be gridded well down having only amassed enough points to rank me 59th I think. I was in fact gridded on the 5th row well back from my aforementionioned rivals in the first two rows. I had some work to do.
I'd decided that I needed to go very hard from the gun to close the gap quickly if I could. I am usually strong in the latter stages so I needed to be in the real action early on to put pressure on.
Bang! I got a good start and pushed hard. Some gaps opened up and off I went. This part of the course was fast though we hadn't had the predicted overnight frost. I was progressing well and by two thirds of the 1st lap had overtaken and gapped Webb. It is crucial to go past quickly so as not to give your opponent chance to gain your wheel, it also messes with their head 😧.
On the fastest part of the course with Welburn ahead but coming back to me I went down hard negotiating a fast corner. Damn. I was ok but as I got to my feet another rider ran straight over my bike and went down himself. He was ok but my bike was in a sorry state, bars bent, brake broken, levers all askew.
A long way from the pits that run would have finished me and I wasn't interested tbh in finishing way back. So game over for this year.

It's been a learning curve and I know what to expect and do for next season.
It's been enjoyable racing against friendly people and much respect to my rivals. Here's to beating you next year 😛

Greg wasn't at Bradford as he has exams but Oli raced well and came in a very presentable 25th. Well done Oli.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 Jan 2013 19:14

Bad luck Jon but good effort. Well done to Oli.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Tim

Post by Tim » 14 Jan 2013 19:37

V impressive effort! Should put you in a good place physically for the summer

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 14 Jan 2013 20:08

Bad luck, Jon. I did wonder why you didn't feature int he results.

Well done, Oli.

George

Post by George » 14 Jan 2013 22:11

Tough luck at the nationals, Jon. DNF or no, you are still a star performer to us mortals back at the Beacon!