Road Races 2013

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Doug Brum

Road Races 2013

Post by Doug Brum » 27 Jan 2013 00:28

The road race season will soon be upon us. I’ve had a look on the BC website and the calendar is starting to fill up. There were quite a few Beacons that raced last year and it would be good to see a few more out for 2013.

From May till July/August

Tuedays-Stourport circuit racing was very popular last year and most local clubs (including the Beacons) take it in turns to organise an event. This will be the same in 2013 with a pay on the line £10 entrance fee.

Thursdays-SSSCCRRL races have also been popular and it’s an over subscribed event that works on a handicap basis. As we are putting on an event for this, Beacons members get preference. It does fill up fast so you’ve got to sign up soonish. I’ve never done them but a few Beacons do it every year and recommend it.

Womens only races-there are a number of women only races running throughout the season. We are doing 2 along with a number of other clubs.

Circuit wise Darley Moor has got a number of events as usual. Curbourgh has a few events on (don’t rate the circuit though) as well as Sundorne.

5, 12, 19 Jun 13 Concorde Road Race
Have done this the last couple of years-good racing and not to far to get to.

9 Jun 13 View races Climb on Bikes Spring Road Race 2013
4 of us did this last year and in my opinion it was the best event all year. A good route, well organized with motorbike out riders that made for safe racing.

28 Apr 13 Birmingham CC Circuit Races
Done this the last couple of years (last years weather was mental cold/wet) and a good opener to the season despite the fact that there were mental crashes both times in the last 100 meters.

23 Mar 13 6 Apr 13 Victoria Park Criterium 2013
Me and Mike did these last year but I don’t think I’ll do them again as I didn’t particularly liked the circuit.

These look good and might enter:
24 Mar 13 Bill Jinks Memorial Road Races

2 Jun 13 AA Brown Road Race

Has anyone else got any plans for the season?

ripebuds

Post by ripebuds » 27 Jan 2013 10:07

Bring them on, its all i've been wating for all winter. I plan on doing lots of racing and TT's this season. First one i'm going for is the 41st Severn RR down in Bristol and then the Evesham Wheelers RR in Inkberrow a couple of weeks after. Will be doing the Stourbridge CC RR and the Halesowen RR too that are near Stourport (very close to me) and of course a few of those Stourport crits. There will be more I assume but havn't finished going through them yet. I'm getting exited/nervous thinking about all of them, I want my 2nd Cat.
Last edited by ripebuds on 28 Jan 2013 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kendo

Post by Kendo » 28 Jan 2013 09:22

Very interesting, are there any minimum requirementws for these events ? Ive never raced before but i like to test myself. Id like to enter but i dont want to arrive at the end while they are packing up for the day !!

ripebuds

Post by ripebuds » 29 Jan 2013 09:54

You will be able to find these events at britishcycling.co.uk. Full details will be there.

Doug Brum

Post by Doug Brum » 30 Jan 2013 18:55

If you fancy racing then come along to one of the Stourport events. Every Tuesday from mid may to first week in Aug-7pm onwards. Come and have a look at one and if you fancy it you can do it the week after.

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Jan 2013 21:46

Ken def give Stourport a go. I have only done one race ever, that was at Stourport last July on a Sunday morning. My understanding is you need British cycling membership and you only score points if you also have a race license. Going to get a license on off chance I get some points. You start as Cat 4 and if you get 10points you are cat 3next year. I would describe it as interval training as there are 2tight bends where speed comes right down into them and sprints out of them. I went off back of front group after 30mins but 5-8 had gone off back before me. I plan to do 4or5 circuits hopefully this year, work and family will limit me to that unfortunately. Don't do enough miles I feel to do a RR.

Is anyone planning to do Victoria Park at Leamington Spa? I know crashes are a problem there I've met someone who needed surgery on his scapula and clavicle after a crash there, but only one I think I can do before May. TTT looks interesting there too.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 30 Jan 2013 22:29

I'd quite like to give some circuit races a go this year, if I can get a bit faster between now and the summer! I'm hoping a week in Mallorca might help me with that, but will have to see...

Tim

Post by Tim » 22 Feb 2013 06:20

http://www.nofrillsbikeracing.co.uk/

Weds nights at Tudor Grange Solihull. There are other women's and cat3/4 there too detailed on bc website.

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 24 Feb 2013 08:02

Bham uni are promoting a circuit race @ Tudor Grange on May 5th
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

ripebuds

Post by ripebuds » 24 Feb 2013 22:16

Tim wrote:http://www.nofrillsbikeracing.co.uk/

Weds nights at Tudor Grange Solihull. There are other women's and cat3/4 there too detailed on bc website.
No prize money is a shame, especially as its still £9 to enter...

sbmungo

potential races for this season

Post by sbmungo » 26 Feb 2013 20:25

Hi

These are the races I intend to compete upon successful entry:
17 Mar Evesham Vale Road Race West Midlands Road
24 Mar Bill Jinks Memorial Road Races West Midlands Road
31 Mar Derby Mercury RR Windley East Midlands Road

07 Apr Two Counties Road Race West Midlands Road
14 Apr Paramount CRT Stans Cycles Spring Road Road
21 Apr Gerry Hughes Memorial Road Race West Midlands Road

04 May ***Nigel Measom 2-day Road Race ***
12 May The Wood & Loines Halesowen Road Race 2013
19 May ZipVit LCCC West Midlands Regional Road Championsips

02 Jun Stourbridge CC Road Race
09 Jun Climb on Bikes Spring Road Race 2013
16 Jun Stafford Road Club Grand Prix
30 Jun Paramount CRT Stans Cycles Summer Road Race

Not planning on doing any crits qside for training purposes.

Also there is a two day event which I am particularly interested in.

Doug Brum

Post by Doug Brum » 28 Feb 2013 15:20

I've booked the following on line (and early) because last year some of these races sold out quickly:

24/3-Bill Jinks Cat 3/4
21/4-Jerry Hughes memorial
28/4-Birmingam Crits
27/5-GT Ellingworth, Lincoln
9/6-Climb on Bikes, Hereford
12/6-Concorde 2, Wishaw
19/6-Concorde 3, Wishaw
30/6-Paramount RT

Will book a few more and do some Stourport/Tudor Grange/Mallory etc crits as well. Anyhow, it's a start and something to aim at....
D

Tim

Post by Tim » 08 Apr 2013 12:40

Whats the sort of average speed on something like the Climb on Bikes Spring Road Race? Is it much tougher than a circuit race?

I would love to give a road race a go this or next year but dont want to be out the back in first 15miles!

Any other novices who might be planning on giving the Climb on Bikes Race a go? 8days after weston! 80places left according to BC website.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 08 Apr 2013 12:48

Only way is to try :wink:

Circuit races are very different to road racing so difficult to compare.

Think you will find most road racers have been off the back at some point in there careers, part of the learning process, just enter it and try and stay in the top 25 at all times.