LVRC

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

petemarshall

LVRC

Post by petemarshall » 05 Feb 2014 08:45

Does the club have a team in LVRC events?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Feb 2014 09:23

A quick answer, no there is not. Periodically we have had 40+ old members riding LVRC races as individuals rather than as teams. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has represented the Beacon at LVRC events for the past couple of years. Most people tend to enter BC races.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 05 Feb 2014 11:10

Is there any particular reason for that? Any politics that I may not be aware of?

I ask, because my occasional racing days were back in the 1980's so am out of touch. I just fancied giving it a go in the summer (trying to get fit and rid myself of injury problems at the present), riding in the 50 + group rather than against a load of young Cat 2 guys trying to get Cat 1! And was always useless on the flat bits, so needed a wheel or two to follow...

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 05 Feb 2014 11:38

Its always puzzled me why 40+ year old riders want to pitch themselves against people half their age. In Oz races are divided and started by age and ability. IMHO this makes much better races. It just aint no fun having your arse whipped by someone half your age.
I had a look at LVRC a few years a go, but (mistakenly?) understood I was too young at under 50! That's not a problem anymore :shock:, so IF I stick around and get some suitable wheels, I might have a look again. Riding as a team in a road race is SO much more fun. Especially if you're the sprinter :twisted:
The Beacon has some fantastic over 50 riders.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Feb 2014 12:34

petemarshall wrote:Is there any particular reason for that? Any politics that I may not be aware of?

I ask, because my occasional racing days were back in the 1980's so am out of touch. I just fancied giving it a go in the summer (trying to get fit and rid myself of injury problems at the present), riding in the 50 + group rather than against a load of young Cat 2 guys trying to get Cat 1! And was always useless on the flat bits, so needed a wheel or two to follow...
No politics, just an insufficient number of people interested in racing in LVRC events. To be honest, when the Beacon has been represented it has never been in any great number. We have a recent and growing number of people racing for the Beacon but they are primarily in the age group not eligible for LVRC.

It may sound as though I am underselling the Beacon's participation in LVRC, but there are two people which stand out. The late Hugh McGuire was an accomplished LVRC rider of national standards and former participant in the Peace Race and Tour of Scotland. Ken Haddon, a second claim member of the Beacon, has successfully ridden for sponsored teams at LVRC events.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 05 Feb 2014 13:31

slogfester wrote:Its always puzzled me why 40+ year old riders want to pitch themselves against people half their age. In Oz races are divided and started by age and ability. IMHO this makes much better races. It just aint no fun having your arse whipped by someone half your age.
I had a look at LVRC a few years a go, but (mistakenly?) understood I was too young at under 50! That's not a problem any more :shock:, so IF I stick around and get some suitable wheels, I might have a look again. Riding as a team in a road race is SO much more fun. Especially if you're the sprinter :twisted:
The Beacon has some fantastic over 50 riders.
My one and only job when occasionally racing was to help my mate who was a sprinter. I took off at every slight incline, this always provoked loads of juniors and fit youngsters to follow. This tatic would hopefully result in all the young fit guys being knackered for the sprint, which my mate could then win. He paid in pints :)

Not a tactic that could be employed as a 57 year old against a load of youngsters, but perhaps successful against others in the same age group, hence my interest in LVRC.

George

Post by George » 05 Feb 2014 13:35

A few years ago, there were several Beacon members who regularly did LVRC events, but Hughie died, Jon went into CX and then moved away, and the others seem to have drifted away from it. It's just a question of there being a few people of the right age and the right disposition. A while ago, we had a them, more recently we haven't had them ... and now/soon, maybe we will have again. Best thing is just to keep asking, keep encouraging, keep telling people what you've done/are planning and hope one or two of them decide to join you.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 05 Feb 2014 16:40

It may sound as though I am underselling the Beacon's participation in LVRC, but there are two people which stand out. The late Hugh McGuire was an accomplished LVRC rider of national standards and former participant in the Peace Race and Tour of Scotland. Ken Haddon, a second claim member of the Beacon, has successfully ridden for sponsored teams at LVRC events.
You don't have to be a champion though. You just need a few people willing to have a go as a TEAM against others of similar AGE and CATEGORY.
Doesn't matter how good you are, riding solo in a race dominated by teams is just as bad as riding against people half your age.
I might not be arsed to join up alone, but am always up for a team effort. I'll just pace the first 10 km :lol:

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 05 Feb 2014 16:49

Eventually, this is how it ends up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5aUMu6Bzg

:)

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 06 Feb 2014 14:26

The present list of LVRC events can be viewed here
http://www.lvrc.org.uk/race-calendar/

It's £20 membership and £10 race fee, so better value than BCF races and everyone over 40.
Check out their web site.
There is a local race in the Percy Stallard series at Bobbington.
Maybe a few of us should give it a go?

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 06 Feb 2014 14:29

I also noticed that the treasurer lives near me; which perhaps explains why I often get burnt off by a 70+ guy in a League jersey when out for a spin!

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 06 Feb 2014 22:00

I am the right age group to race LVRC, I however choose to race BC events at this stage. That may well change over the coming years but whilst I still feel as though my racing ability, strength and bike fitness is on a relatively steady upward trajectory I'll stick to BC and have a crack at cat2.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2014 06:03

I did a few LVRC road races a number of years ago, and IMHO when compared to BC they represent much better value for money. However, dont under estimate how chuffin' hard they are!! I can recall my very first LVRC road race and observing some of the geriatric old dodderers in the changing rooms, half of them struggling to put one foot in front of the other. Then walking out to the car park and seeing a very impressive array of very expensive equipment on show.

I also vividly recall being dropped on lap 2 of a 4 lap race by these "geriatric old dodderers"....... :oops:

And the moral to the story, never judge a book by its cover!!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 08 Feb 2014 07:13

I've heard exactly the same stories about lvrc Alan, old farts who could barely walk out of the changing rooms but stick em on two weeks and they'll have you crying for mercy!��

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Feb 2014 08:06

andrew clayton wrote:I've heard exactly the same stories about lvrc Alan, old farts who could barely walk out of the changing rooms but stick em on two weeks and they'll have you crying for mercy!��
It makes me recall the old geezer who turned up the Little Mountain Time Trial. Whilst riding some old steel framed bike adorned with Carradice Barley bag, he wore heritage cycle kit , a cap and did not look the part.

Some time later their were reports from slick riding skinsuited younger guys, 'thropping' along on their carbon wheels with heads buried into the handlebars, this older bloke bombing past at great speed and overtaking riders on Ankerdine and Stanford banks - respect!

AndyCurley

Post by AndyCurley » 11 Feb 2014 22:21

Just caught sight of this thread, I have been riding LVRC events for a few years in the CD group (over 50) and have never seen another Beacon rider!
It would be good to have a few people riding from the club. The events do fill up very quickly so an early entry is good idea as it operates on a first come first served basis - but beware - there are a few ex pro's lurking in the peleton :!: The Pinvin RR is the normal season opener.....